Sign in to follow this  
TyMagic

POLL: Who would you rather see the Magic get at the 6th spot?

Who do the Magic take with their 6th Pick?  

45 members have voted

1. 1. Who do the Magic take with their 6th Pick?

• Malik Monk, SG, Kentucky
    • Jonathan Isaac, SF, Florida State
    • Dennis Smith, PG, NC State
    • Frank Ntilikina, PG, France
    • Justin Jackson, SF, North Carolina
    • Lauri Markkanen, PF, Arizona

Fults, Ball, Jackson, Tatum, and Fox are all picked in the top 5. With everyone else available, who does the Magic NEED to take? Who is Priority #1?

I've never wavered off of Dennis Smith Jr. He probably has as much potential as anyone in this draft. I still don't think, when it comes down to it, he'll be there. After him, Monk, because he has star potential as well.

Smith and Monk are 1a and 1b for me. Voted Smith

Same here with Isaac behind them.

Chose Monk after watching more stuff. I really think he's got more to his game than we've seen. He peaks my interest the most.

I'm really digging Isaac, he's kind of raw but getting someone with that length and ability is not easy. I think he could develop into a player like the Greek Freak, who our new management drafted. But I'm fine with Monk too, I'm not on the Smith bandwagon as much as everyone else but I'd be fine with it.

Isaac. I don't really care about fit or who barks the loudest at this stage in the re-rebuild, so I'm going with the BPA - or rather the potential BPA if our staff is as sold.

I'm going to be honest, the three players at the top of my list for the 6th spot all come with risks:

Jonathan Isaac is a heck of a prospect. He's got good ball handling skills, a nice jump shot, the athleticism and size that teams look for, and plays good defense. He could fit in at SF or PF, perhaps even play some C if he adds some weight and size to his frame. I see three problems with Issaac: his rail thin frame, his consistency, and the offensive side of his game. If he doesn't add weight he's going to get pushed around. Likewise he doesn't really project to be a number one guy on a team, he will likely slide into a support role in a starting line up on a good team and we arguably have enough of those on this team. His floor should be pretty safe as a defensive player, but the other areas of his game concern me enough to make me pass on him.

Malik Monk strikes me as a Lou Williams like player. The fact that he's undersized doesn't concern me. The kid can shoot and as long as that translates into his game in the NBA, then he can have success much like CJ McCollum has developed into a borderline all star in Portland. I like the fact that he is a pretty versatile player that could become a 20 night guy in the right system. However, he doesn't make much of a contribution on the defensive end, there were occasions in college when he was shutdown on the offensive end, and tends to be streaky. I see Monk becoming a pretty solid player in the NBA, but the issue I am having is that I see more of Lou Williams or Eric Gordon in his game than the game that will translate to him becoming the next elite shooting guard.

So that brings me to Dennis Smith. Yes drafting this kid will mean moving on from Payton but that is not necessarily a bad thing. What Smith brings to the table is elite athleticism, he score off the dribble, and he's a capable play maker. I know some people question his shooting, but he did knock down a third of his three point attempts and his shooting form is pretty solid, so that side of his game should continue to get better. As a player he has a ton of upside because he can be a really dangerous player on the offensive end. Do I see him becoming the next John Wall? Probably not, but I think he can become a similar player to Kemba Walker or Eric Bledsoe. They have proven that they can be 20 a night guys and put up half a dozen or so assists. If Smith's offensive game translates to the NBA and continues to improve, and he can continue to get better as a play maker, then obviously his upside gets nearer to John Wall. But I would say that Dennis Smith does offer a pretty high floor whilst also having a pretty high ceiling.

Who would I draft?

It's tough, but I would go for Dennis Smith. Don't get me wrong I like Payton but I don't see him developing into a scoring point guard, and I don't see him becoming a Rondo like point guard either with elite passing and defense. I think we have probably seen what we are going to get from Payton and if we have aspirations of returning to title contention then I don't see him being a starting point guard on such a team. With Dennis Smith I think we would have a scoring point guard, and he should be able to put up assist numbers not to dissimilar to Payton, and that can get better if he becomes better as a play maker. Like I said, he offers a good floor and a high ceiling and would slot nicely into our starting line up and potentially give us that scoring punch we lack.

If both Smith and Monk are available, I think we have to go with Monk just because of ACL injury past with Smith. I dont know that we can handle another GHill right now.

If Monk is not available then I think we jus g o with Smith regardless, cause we still need a scorer, and Id rather have him on the team then be stuck another year without a scorer.