Sign in to follow this  
Jason Funderburker

Toronto GM Jeff Weltman new President of Basketball Ops

he's been fine. some good picks. some bad picks. good trades. average trades.

Is there a GM that has a flawless history?

Can't think of one

Jeff Weltman, the Magic's new hire as president of basketball operations, will report to CEO Alex Martins.

Via Robbins

So, nothing is actually going to change.

So, nothing is actually going to change.

Well we now have 3 superiors basketball voices under Martins. Hopefully with that comes the ability to shut out some of his input and go with the consensus.

Is there a GM that has a flawless history?

Can't think of one

And if there was, they wouldn't be coming to take an Orlando job.

I'm pretty happy with the team on this one. My expectations were pretty low and they managed to hire someone who is very experienced (28 years in the nba) while also being an up and comer and not some retread of another executive who failed somewhere else. Also this guy wasn't a past magic player or coach.

I have no idea if this is the best candidate or if he's even a good candidate because I don't really know him and its difficult to judge the competency of executives. We have to rely on reporters talking about his qualifications. But the team made a really justifiable hire and that's a good thing.

Completely agree with this. Magic have hired a couple of seasoned guys with solid track records. Should give us a reasonable chance for success going forward. To those who point to various mis-steps made by either one over the years, you just have to recognize that no one makes perfect moves all the time. You have to hope that the totality of the moves going forward, and the way they fit together, will move us in the right direction.

Somewhat muted reaction to this overall in here. Five pages on this thread, a couple of pages on two or three other threads, and that's it. I was expecting to see 20-30 pages of comments.

Completely agree with this. Magic have hired a couple of seasoned guys with solid track records. Should give us a reasonable chance for success going forward. To those who point to various mis-steps made by either one over the years, you just have to recognize that no one makes perfect moves all the time. You have to hope that the totality of the moves going forward, and the way they fit together, will move us in the right direction.

Somewhat muted reaction to this overall in here. Five pages on this thread, a couple of pages on two or three other threads, and that's it. I was expecting to see 20-30 pages of comments.

There will be more comments after the press conference. Hard to discuss anything yet.

How was the press conference? I tuned in 20 mins late and didn't want to start in the middle.

Get a really good vibe from Jeff. He has some ideas but says he wants to listen to his staff first. Says draft is about talent and a guy who plays for his team. He doesn't want to be the one right all the time. Wants whoever has the best idea or argument to why a player should be signed and or drafted to win.

Mike Bianchi is an moron.

I'm excited about the Weltman/Hammond pair. They're both experienced and well liked in the organisation's they've been a part of which might open up more trade opportunities. They've both played a part in drafting some interesting prospects and Weltman in particular has just come from working under one of the best execs in the sport.

What I want this year is an identity. That's all I want. I don't expect playoffs or anything like that but if we show there's a culture developing and we play some good basketball along the way I'll be happy.