Sign in to follow this  
Jason Funderburker

Toronto GM Jeff Weltman new President of Basketball Ops

`I’ve always felt that Jeff has a very keen eye for talent. That’s obviously so important in what we do. He’s always been creative in his evaluating. I can tell you that from working with him, when he goes out and watches a player play – we never get them all right – but, boy, Jeff gets most of them right.’’

hammond

This makes our draft so interesting

lets break this down more.

since 1989, here are the players who were multiple time all stars with the team that drafted them outside of the top 3 picks.

Kobe - lakers (drafted by the Hornets)

Dirk -Dallas (drafted by the Bucks)

Ray Allen-milwaukee (drafted by the T-Wolves)

Vince Carter-toronto (drafted by the Warriors)

Rondo - boston (drafted by the Suns)

Francis - houston (drafted by the Grizzlies)

marc gasol - memphis (drafted by the Lakers)

Not sure about these guys...

Not sure about these guys...

I think it's stupid that draft day trades aren't considered "drafting the player". so I count them anyway. its the same thing.

Not sure if this article has been posted before but I read this today and thought it gave some really good insight into the type of upper management that we seem to be building. That Martins essentially is giving these guys the reigns to the organization (easy to say it now, hopefully we will see that be the case later on) because he wants to hire people who are basketball smarter than him.

I love the investment in upper management and hope that this is a sign that we are going to do what we need to, to build a culture that works here. We don't need to be San Antonio. We need to be Orlando. Hopefully our two new guys can handle the opportunity in front of them!

LINK -- Orlando Magic Prepared to Invest in Returning Pride to the Team.

Welp I was very excited and optimistic to be in the post-Henningan era but I have to admit that the draft strategy tonight has put a big dent in that optimism. It seems like we traded two draft picks, in what most people saw as a very deep draft, for inferior future considerations years down the road. There doesn't seem to be much upside to that.

Let's just calm down, the FO hasn't even had a FA under their belts yet. If those guys in the mid 20s don't amount to anything nobody will remember this. Isaac is the exact type of guy Hammond drafted in Milwaukee and it was working for them.

Let's just calm down, the FO hasn't even had a FA under their belts yet. If those guys in the mid 20s don't amount to anything nobody will remember this. Isaac is the exact type of guy Hammond drafted in Milwaukee and it was working for them.

I'm calm, in fact I'm almost ready for bed. I'm just less calmly optimistic about the Magic's new front office than I was before tonight.