Sign in to follow this  
Mauro Pedrosa

2017 Watch the Playoffs Thread!

Durant plays golden state in a single playoff series for his entire career and suddenly they're arch rivals.

Maybe gone too far with 'arch' but I still think battling in the conference as 2 of the best teams for the last few years then meeting in the WCF and the Thunder losing in that fashion warrant's more than just a 'rival' tag.

Maybe gone too far with 'arch' but I still think battling in the conference as 2 of the best teams for the last few years then meeting in the WCF and the Thunder losing in that fashion warrant's more than just a 'rival' tag.

They weren't battling though. Okc was good when golden state was bad. When golden state was good okc was injured. If Durant had a rival its San Antonio

They weren't battling though. Okc was good when golden state was bad. When golden state was good okc was injured. If Durant had a rival its San Antonio

Fair point. But it's moving away a little from where my opinion is coming from.

Do you think that KD would have went to San Antonio if they were exactly where GSW were in terms of being the best team in the league? If yes, then it doesn't really change my point of him moving to GSW. If you think he wouldn't then it makes things a little different and is more in line with where I'm coming from.

Is there a point in modern sports where you would never join another team under any circumstances or has things changed that much? (General question to anyone, not directed at you P4TW, or any previous points)

Fair point. But it's moving away a little from where my opinion is coming from.

Do you think that KD would have went to San Antonio if they were exactly where GSW were in terms of being the best team in the league? If yes, then it doesn't really change my point of him moving to GSW. If you think he wouldn't then it makes things a little different and is more in line with where I'm coming from.

Is there a point in modern sports where you would never join another team under any circumstances or has things changed that much? (General question to anyone, not directed at you P4TW, or any previous points)

I think if there were other teams that were better than golden state he would still end up on golden state. He fits their style and culture.

I'm not disputing the money side of things at all, I understand that can change people quite easily, but KD didn't make a money based move.

You make a good point about NBA players just being employees from the teams perspective so that could play a role in a players outlook on basketball, but I still struggle with KD's mindset in his move to a rival.

Look I'm probably wrong, I'm well aware of it, I'm just putting forward my thoughts and how I struggle understanding the move KD made.

Wrong for feeling what's important to you? Don't do that.

People get caught up solely focusing on the prize, the ring, the top, what have you. They don't see it's the process getting there that really is the most important.

KD is probably going to look back and wish he would've won one in OKC. Look at Shaq. He always says how he wishes he would've stayed and attempt

to win one here instead of leaving.

It's not entirely their fault. A activity they once did because they had that competitive fire becomes more complicating because of money and fame.

Then they get this person and that person telling them what to do and what's going to make their career better.

Once the dust settles, a sense of dissatisfaction emerges. He could go on and win two more. Doesn't matter. That dissappointment will be there. He beat a team with the best player on it, but he lost to GS and never has beaten them. That will always eat at a true competitor.

I firmly believe LeBron felt it. He went back to handle unfinished business.

That's what also kills me. They could've been rivals.

That's the problem with the modern NBA. So focused on the ring, they'll join each other so no rivals are made.

ESPN was doing a Boston/LA documentary and you had Magic and his squad talking, and Bird and his talking, and it was authentic. It was competitive. There's substance there. They wanted to pulverize each other.

Wrong for feeling what's important to you? Don't do that.

People get caught up solely focusing on the prize, the ring, the top, what have you. They don't see it's the process getting there that really is the most important.

KD is probably going to look back and wish he would've won one in OKC. Look at Shaq. He always says how he wishes he would've stayed and attempt

to win one here instead of leaving.

It's not entirely their fault. A activity they once did because they had that competitive fire becomes more complicating because of money and fame.

Then they get this person and that person telling them what to do and what's going to make their career better.

Once the dust settles, a sense of dissatisfaction emerges. He could go on and win two more. Doesn't matter. That dissappointment will be there. He beat a team with the best player on it, but he lost to GS and never has beaten them. That will always eat at a true competitor.

I firmly believe LeBron felt it. He went back to handle unfinished business.

Good post, I think we see things the same way when it comes to this topic.

In regards to Lebron though, I kind of feel like he chose to go back to Cleveland because it was his best chance at getting another ring or 2. I think there was probably some sentimental aspect of his move, but I feel like that was his best chance at more rings so he chose them (knowing they could make another big 3, with Kyrie there and the number 1 pick). I feel like if the Cavs had our current roster he wouldn't have went back there. But I agree, he would have felt like there was unfinished business, I'd think that he always felt bad about moving away in the first place, probably not regretted, but felt bad.

ESPN was doing a Boston/LA documentary and you had Magic and his squad talking, and Bird and his talking, and it was authentic. It was competitive. There's substance there. They wanted to pulverize each other.

Yep. Sadly I think these days are gone, and it's definitely not for the better in the eyes of fans of the sport.

isn't it just slightly ironic that you are using a narrative journalism piece to support your story?

there was plenty of talk and hype for this finals as well. I just don't understand what you mean by authentic or competitive, as if the 2017 finals were like, staged or something.

• Upvote 1

These days it's not out of the question that LeBron could join the Warriors (if cap space permitted) and that's disappointing IMO. There was no way Magic would consider joining the Celts, or Bird the Lakers.

The finals were definitely competitive because every player wants a ring desperately, but I think rivalry isn't even a thing anymore. Any of those players would swap to the other team if it got them closer to a ring, and I think that's sad, and it just makes the league less interesting (for me).

isn't it just slightly ironic that you are using a narrative journalism piece to support your story?

there was plenty of talk and hype for this finals as well. I just don't understand what you mean by authentic or competitive, as if the 2017 finals were like, staged or something.

What's ironic about it?

Yeah, there was hype...From the NBA's marketing department.

I don't think it was staged. I thought it had small increments of enjoyment with very little substance.

I literally sat there watching them celebrate and just felt nothing but meh. It was dull. When I mean generic I mean it wasn't like a certain star player came back to beat a team he almost beat but lost to attempting to overcome that adversity to beat the best. I mean it was generic that the star player dipped on that squad to join the squad that handed his ass to him to win a ring in year one celebrating like it was some tough battle.

• Upvote 2

I don't think it was staged. I thought it had small increments of enjoyment with very little substance.

I literally sat there watching them celebrate and just felt nothing but meh. It was dull.

I felt the same.