Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

New GM Thread

What makes him a good candidate?

RC Buford has a long track record. You picked a bad example.

I'm not sure what makes him a good candidate, because he hasn't had to make earth shattering moves. He certainly did a good job trading for Frye last year. But I'm not going to dismiss him outright, because he has experience assembling a championship team. He knows what it takes to build that culture, and we desperately need that.

I'm not sure what makes him a good candidate, because he hasn't had to make earth shattering moves. He certainly did a good job trading for Frye last year. But I'm not going to dismiss him outright, because he has experience assembling a championship team. He knows what it takes to build that culture, and we desperately need that.

LeBron built that culture man.

I just don't agree with this. Could he be marginally better on a different team with different scheme and players? Sure. You could say that for nearly any player in the NBA though except for the select few that are playing in the perfect scheme with the perfect surrounding players (Draymond Green).

But there is no team in the NBA where Oladipo is deadly. He isn't that type of player. He's a 3rd option on a good team. He's an overrated defender and a streaky offensive player who often times plays an erratic style. That's just who he is and that's okay, you could do much worse.

His advanced numbers, which were always solid in Orlando, have plummeted in OKC. Yes, he's a streaky shooter. That's the only reason he isn't a no. 1 option for a good team. But he's a solid PNR guy in the mid-range, and he passes well (more TO's than you'd like, but it's not egregious). Maybe we have different definitions of deadly. But if you put him in Utah where he'd be getting cuts to the rim and allowed to be one of the many guys involved in their PNR schemes which actually involve movement away from the ball (something that never happens in OKC), he'd be solid and efficient on a nightly basis. And occasionally, when he's hitting his jumper like he sometimes does, he'd go off for 30. He doesn't have to be deadly every night, because they have Hayward. But Hayward is deadly within their system, meaning him playing well doesn't kill the rest of the offense. Other teams work this way as well. He'd be really good for San Antonio.

Dipo isn't going to be an All-Star on any team. I'm not saying that. I'm saying he's a good player, above average, despite what it looks like in OKC.

His advanced numbers, which were always solid in Orlando, have plummeted in OKC. Yes, he's a streaky shooter. That's the only reason he isn't a no. 1 option for a good team. But he's a solid PNR guy in the mid-range, and he passes well (more TO's than you'd like, but it's not egregious). Maybe we have different definitions of deadly. But if you put him in Utah where he'd be getting cuts to the rim and allowed to be one of the many guys involved in their PNR schemes which actually involve movement away from the ball (something that never happens in OKC), he'd be solid and efficient on a nightly basis. And occasionally, when he's hitting his jumper like he sometimes does, he'd go off for 30. He doesn't have to be deadly every night, because they have Hayward. But Hayward is deadly within their system, meaning him playing well doesn't kill the rest of the offense. Other teams work this way as well. He'd be really good for San Antonio.

Dipo isn't going to be an All-Star on any team. I'm not saying that. I'm saying he's a good player, above average, despite what it looks like in OKC.

But he never looked like a consistently good, above average player in Orlando either. So it's like at what point does it become the player and not the system or team?

The issue with Dipo is for 2-3 games he'll look like a legit #2--but than he goes missing for the next 4 games. A player like that is just better suited coming off the bench IMO and I believe the majority of OKC fans would agree with me on that based on what I read from their forums.

But he never looked like a consistently good, above average player in Orlando either. So it's like at what point does it become the player and not the system or team?

The issue with Dipo is for 2-3 games he'll look like a legit #2--but than he goes missing for the next 4 games. A player like that is just better suited coming off the bench IMO and I believe the majority of OKC fans would agree with me on that based on what I read from their forums.

This is just factually inaccurate. He would disappear occasionally, but no where near that often. Go look at his game logs in Orlando. Very consistent getting 12-20 points.

Oladipo has wild swings in performance on both ends of the court. Initially i thought the peaks and valleys would smooth over time but that hasn't happened

This is just factually inaccurate. He would disappear occasionally, but no where near that often. Go look at his game logs in Orlando. Very consistent getting 12-20 points.

Like just about everyone on the Magic, he seemed to have a low basketball IQ and made way too many boneheaded mistakes. I believe he will actually fix his shot, i really do. I was more worried about his inability to finish around the rim and draw fouls. If he can't do this he will never live up to his skill-set.

And he still has a chance to be a good two-way player.On defense he has to be much more consistent.

Until we fire Martins, it won't matter who we hire. The next GM will be under the same rules as the last one, and the one before that...... the root cause to this failing franchise is still collecting paychecks and making decisions while hold the fewest wins out of all NBA Presidents....

You do realize the disparity in scoring between 12-20 points right? You're literally proving my point that he's inconsistent with that statement.

If you said "very consistent scoring between 17-20 points" than I'd agree. But 12-20 you're now describing an inconsistent player.

Evan Fournier is a more consistent scorer.

We had a 19-13 record until Scott Skiles admitted to quitting on this team, after which he likely urged trading away our most versatile player.

The Hennigan rebuild was working fine until Skiles destroyed any confidence these young players had.

We had a 19-13 record until Scott Skiles admitted to quitting on this team, after which he likely urged trading away our most versatile player.

The Hennigan rebuild was working fine until Skiles destroyed any confidence these young players had.

Hot takes.

This is a major stretch for so many reasons.

Meh... of those 32 games, 18 were at home where we went 12 - 6... Also, only 12 of the teams we played in that span finished the season with a winning record and we went 4 - 8 in those games... Skiles quitting on the team and the London trip are obvious factors to point to for the drop off, but truth of the matter is that our schedule got more difficult and we couldn't handle it..

• Upvote 1