Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

New GM Thread

felt like this needed it's own topic.

here's Robbins' list of guys he thinks the magic will consider:

Robbins lists four other potential candidates:

•Travis Schlenk — The vice president of basketball operations and assistant GM in Golden State, Schlenk has spent the past 13 years with the Warriors. He also worked as an assistant coach and video scout. Schlenk has ties to Orlando, breaking into the NBA in 1997/98 with the Magic’s basketball operations department.

•Brian Wright — The assistant GM in San Antonio started as a summer intern with Orlando in 2006. He spent eight years with the Magic and served as director of college scouting before leaving to take an assistant GM’s role with the Pistons.

•Pat Garrity — A former Magic player, Garrity is among the league’s rising stars in the front office. He is currently associate GM in Detroit.

•Michael Zarren — Boston’s assistant GM was recently tabbed by ESPN as among the top candidates to land a full-time GM job. He is a Harvard Law School graduate and serves as lead in-house counsel for the Celtics.

Schlenk and Zarren were on my list.

felt like this needed it's own topic.

here's Robbins' list of guys he thinks the magic will consider:

Robbins lists four other potential candidates:

•Travis Schlenk — The vice president of basketball operations and assistant GM in Golden State, Schlenk has spent the past 13 years with the Warriors. He also worked as an assistant coach and video scout. Schlenk has ties to Orlando, breaking into the NBA in 1997/98 with the Magic’s basketball operations department.

•Brian Wright — The assistant GM in San Antonio started as a summer intern with Orlando in 2006. He spent eight years with the Magic and served as director of college scouting before leaving to take an assistant GM’s role with the Pistons.

•Pat Garrity — A former Magic player, Garrity is among the league’s rising stars in the front office. He is currently associate GM in Detroit.

•Michael Zarren — Boston’s assistant GM was recently tabbed by ESPN as among the top candidates to land a full-time GM job. He is a Harvard Law School graduate and serves as lead in-house counsel for the Celtics.

Schlenk and Zarren were on my list.

Think we can cross Zarren off.

He has no ties to Orlando. It's more about on our end not his.

Meh, Hennigan has no ties to Orlando, nor did Vogel. Nor did Stan. This franchise certainly likes to hire familiar people, but I would say only slightly more than is appropriate. It's an issue, I think, but not a major one. We shouldn't discount Zarren based on that.

Meh, Hennigan has no ties to Orlando, nor did Vogel. Nor did Stan. This franchise certainly likes to hire familiar people, but I would say only slightly more than is appropriate. It's an issue, I think, but not a major one. We shouldn't discount Zarren based on that.

I agree but with so many candidates out there with ties to Orlando, I'm expecting a nepotism move or a PR one. Or both.

Other people have a high opinion of Garrity, so if that's the way we go, even if it's for nepotism reasons, I don't have a problem with it. If you have two guys who you feel are equally qualified, why not go with the one you're familiar with. In fact, if Martins did have too much impact on moves before, it's probably because we hired Rob without the ownership really knowing him. So Martins had all the power. If we hire someone ownership knows and likes, at least he has a shot at a power play over Martins.

Zarren or Garrity.

If you don't want Garrity just because he has strong ties to Orlando I don't think that's fair. Everything I've read on him seems to be extremely positive and he's viewed as a really good basketball mind around the NBA.