Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Henny has been fired!

I can't believe anyone is still taking time out of their day to debate this issue. Henny is gone and the plan will remain roughly the same. We just need some better lottery luck, to hit on our picks, and a few more advantageous trades and we'll be back on course.

If it took 20 years we'd just need to fold the franchise. That's too long to not get someone worthy of building around.

Again, it doesn't need to be a superstar. Just a lillard or kemba or Gordon Hayward type where you can honestly say "this guy could be great." Someone we can hand the ball to and let them go on offense. Its very likely we're going to get that guy in this draft.

And when i say "this guy" I'm not saying it needs to be 100% likely. Just a good bet.

The points against tanking seem to rely on guys like Curry, Leonard, and Butler as examples of guys teams built around through later picks in the draft. The point missed is that those guys were *drafted* and not traded to their teams (technically, Kawhi was, but when drafted). You get "the guy" by drafting is the whole point. So why not give yourself the best chance?

The points against tanking seem to rely on guys like Curry, Leonard, and Butler as examples of guys teams built around through later picks in the draft. The point missed is that those guys were *drafted* and not traded to their teams (technically, Kawhi was, but when drafted). You get "the guy" by drafting is the whole point. So why not give yourself the best chance?

Another benefit of the draft is if you do get that guy, the amount of money you're paying for a maxed out FA is vastly different. In two years that young talent is possibly helping you to the playoffs you're also getting free agents wanting to sign (possibly for less than market value or at least at a bargain) which as result gives you likelihood of resigning the young star.

Are there any examples of franchises similar to Orlando that have built really successful teams around similar caliber players to Oladipo and Gordon? (that didn't later get a superstar in the draft). Honest question to everyone, I'm just trying to see if any alternative plans can work or if they are all going to rely on still getting that superstar in the draft.

I just feel like now more than ever (with the new CBAs) you HAVE to get your superstar player from the draft because no other superstar player is going to come to your franchise without one already there. Why would they leave wherever they are and sacrifice a LOT of money to come and play for a team with Oladipo's or Harrison Barnes'? If they are willing to sacrifice money there will be a lot more attractive options out there for them (big market franchises, teams with a superstar already etc) why would they choose us? The only kind of players you will get are middle of the road guys like Harrison Barnes but you will be paying them close to Kevin Durant money, you can't compete like that.

Are there any examples of franchises similar to Orlando that have built really successful teams around similar caliber players to Oladipo and Gordon? (that didn't later get a superstar in the draft). Honest question to everyone, I'm just trying to see if any alternative plans can work or if they are all going to rely on still getting that superstar in the draft.

I just feel like now more than ever (with the new CBAs) you HAVE to get your superstar player from the draft because no other superstar player is going to come to your franchise without one already there. Why would they leave wherever they are and sacrifice a LOT of money to come and play for a team with Oladipo's or Harrison Barnes'? If they are willing to sacrifice money there will be a lot more attractive options out there for them (big market franchises, teams with a superstar already etc) why would they choose us? The only kind of players you will get are middle of the road guys like Harrison Barnes but you will be paying them close to Kevin Durant money, you can't compete like that.

Detroit had 6 oladipo/Gordon type guys. I think the Billups legend grew post title so we look back and revere them as more than they actually are. And prince was always "he would be a stud on a team where he had the ball more". He wasn't.

So that's my best example.

Detroit had 6 oladipo/Gordon type guys. I think the Billups legend grew post title so we look back and revere them as more than they actually are. And prince was always "he would be a stud on a team where he had the ball more". He wasn't.

So that's my best example.

They just don't have Billups and co's mindset and intangibles.

I think they are severely underrated individually. Billups was tough as nails and sorta invented the combo guard.

RIP was just automatic from mid range and Prince was the perfect glue guy.

Then you had Sheed who really was so damn talented. Inside outside game and could D up.

Finally there's Big Ben. The perfect 5 to fit with that scheme.

I wonder how they would fare against GS.

I think they are severely underrated individually. Billups was tough as nails and sorta invented the combo guard.

Then you had Sheed who really was so damn talented. Inside outside game and could D up.

They'd get destroyed. To be fair though if they were a modern team they'd have another 3 on the roster and run prince at 4 and sheed at 5 a lot

Can't compare teams from this era to teams from that era. It's not the same game. Who's refs do we have? What rules are we playing under?

I'd love to see that Pistons team play the late 90's Bulls teams (I'd bet on the Bulls, but I think it'd be a lot of fun to watch), or even the LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat team (I have no idea who'd win that). But in the past five years the game has gradually changed too much to go back that far. It would be like pitting the '91 Bulls against the '78 Bullets or the '79 Sonics.

They'd get destroyed. To be fair though if they were a modern team they'd have another 3 on the roster and run prince at 4 and sheed at 5 a lot

I don't know about getting destroyed. They were that good defensively.

Didn't they run Sheed at the 5 at times? After they traded Okur I think that was there 2 unit consisted of. Sheed at the 5 and Prince at the 4.

Their 5 (Big Ben) is what every team seems to imitate nowadays.

Can't compare teams from this era to teams from that era. It's not the same game. Who's refs do we have? What rules are we playing under?

I'd love to see that Pistons team play the late 90's Bulls teams (I'd bet on the Bulls, but I think it'd be a lot of fun to watch), or even the LeBron/Wade/Bosh Heat team (I have no idea who'd win that). But in the past five years the game has gradually changed too much to go back that far. It would be like pitting the '91 Bulls against the '78 Bullets or the '79 Sonics.

Yeah I know. Just for fun talk.

Whichever time. Now and then. Just curious if Detroit would beat em.