Sign in to follow this  
Magicman28

Henny has been fired!

The odds of getting a Kobe at 13 or Dirk at 9 are extraordinarily less than getting a similar caliber player in the top 3.

You still need someone like that to get over the hump of mediocrity. You aren't going to magically get someone like that through FA just by having a good culture while all your money is tied up by overpaying guys like Barnes or Batum (who was never available anyway).

So what is your plan? Have a bunch of Iggy's and Barnes', be around pick 9-15 and wait for one of these future HOF type guys fall to that range out of pure luck who will then propel us to contender status? Because I can tell you, the odds of something like that happening are very very low.

The odds of getting a Kobe at 13 or Dirk at 9 are extraordinarily less than getting a similar caliber player in the top 3.

You still need someone like that to get over the hump of mediocrity. You aren't going to magically get someone like that through FA just by having a good culture while all your money is tied up by overpaying guys like Barnes or Batum (who was never available anyway).

So what is your plan? Have a bunch of Iggy's and Barnes', be around pick 9-15 and wait for one of these future HOF type guys fall to that range out of pure luck who will then propel us to contender status? Because I can tell you, the odds of something like that happening are very very low.

My thoughts exactly. Well said, fren.

Yup

Finally and succinctly, lol, this is it. That is the summary. And using Golden State as a barometer for teams full of middling first round picks, cue 15 - 20 years of mediocrity if our next GM thinks that's the way to go.

End. Of. Discussion.

So then I ask the question that I asked earlier, that was NEVER answered.

The response given to me was "eventually" a franchise player will fall to you if you continue to tank.

Soooo... how long is "eventually"?

Do you tank for 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years?

Tell me exactly how long you must tank for before your plan finally magically works itself out.

And you implement this strategy of "eventually this player will magically appear" knowing that you are throwing away years and years of your franchise by sucking all so you can chase that magical player.

How many years is an acceptable amount of years to waste away chasing this player?

And then if you pass that threshold, then what is the Plan B?

Just start over again and continue the same process all over again?

Because, again, I can show you through the past 20 years of NBA history, the championship winning franchises did NOT follow this model that you are proposing.

And you implement this strategy of "eventually this player will magically appear" knowing that you are throwing away years and years of your franchise by sucking all so you can chase that magical player.

Can we also add this narrative device to your proposition "eventually one of these substandard picks we keep getting in the 10-20 range will magically turn into a player that everyone slept on, ala Paul Pierce, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and others". Because aside from them and guys like Draymond and Klay, Tony Parker and Jimmy Butler, those are some pretty slim pickings for "candidates for best player on a halfway decent team" in that range over the last 20 years. How mediocre do you want the Magic to be?

Do you agree that you need a bonafide superstar (or 2) to win a championship these days?

If so, there are obviously 2 ways to get one, through the draft and through FA. In regards to the draft, I think you can agree that it is much much more likely to find one of these in the top 3 of the draft compared to between 10-20.

In regards to FA, your theory of building a mediocre team by overpaying Harrison Barnes', Iguodala's and Batum's and developing a winning culture isn't going to net you a superstar through FA. Tell me what superstar will want to come to an Orlando franchise with all their money tied up in these players? Or are you suggesting they'll come once we nail that "magical" player with a pick between 10-20?

Besides the fact that it's much harder to lure superstars away in today's NBA, give me a list of franchises that have built a championship winner on your model that haven't been fortunate enough to draft a hall of famer or future hall of famer outside the top 5 in the draft.

You insinuated that "eventually" a superstar would come our way like the Lakers got theirs at 13, Mavs at 9 etc.

Do you float along mediocrity for 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years?

Tell me exactly how long you must battle mediocrity for before your plan finally magically works itself out.

Can we also add this narrative device to your proposition "eventually one of these substandard picks we keep getting in the 10-20 range will magically turn into a player that everyone slept on, ala Paul Pierce, Paul George, Kawhi Leonard and others". Because aside from them and guys like Draymond and Klay, Tony Parker and Jimmy Butler, those are some pretty slim pickings for "candidates for best player on a halfway decent team" in that range over the last 20 years. How mediocre do you want the Magic to be?

You're missing his point. Nobody with their head on straight will ever argue that a lower pick is better than a higher pick. However, the draft should be treated as one method of improving the team, not the only method.

Do you agree that you need a bonafide superstar (or 2) to win a championship these days?

If so, there are obviously 2 ways to get one, through the draft and through FA. In regards to the draft, I think you can agree that it is much much more likely to find one of these in the top 3 of the draft compared to between 10-20.

In regards to FA, your theory of building a mediocre team by overpaying Harrison Barnes', Iguodala's and Batum's and developing a winning culture isn't going to net you a superstar through FA. Tell me what superstar will want to come to an Orlando franchise with all their money tied up in these players? Or are you suggesting they'll come once we nail that "magical" player with a pick between 10-20?

Besides the fact that it's much harder to lure superstars away in today's NBA, give me a list of franchises that have built a championship winner on your model that haven't been fortunate enough to draft a hall of famer or future hall of famer outside the top 5 in the draft.

You insinuated that "eventually" a superstar would come our way like the Lakers got theirs at 13, Mavs at 9 etc.

Do you float along mediocrity for 2 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? 50 years?

Tell me exactly how long you must battle mediocrity for before your plan finally magically works itself out.

Maybe we should table this discussion until we see what the Heat do. They have all the symptoms of a "mediocre" team: winning culture, 15th draft pick, and lots of available cap space.

Maybe we should table this discussion until we see what the Heat do. They have all the symptoms of a "mediocre" team: winning culture, 15th draft pick, and lots of available cap space.

Good potential example, but could we have even gotten to the point of mediocre playoff team with a winning culture while still having a tonne of cap space?