Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

we'll draft smith

on draft night we'll trade Fournier, augustin, the 26th pick, and the second rounder for Carmelo.

Then we'll all justify it to ourselves Fournier wasn't that great. We needed to get rid of augustin anyway. and is the guy we get at 26 really going to be that good?

and we'll begin the season with this rotation: payton-ross-melo-Gordon-vucevic smith-hezonja-biyombo- free agents.

and we'll justify that its totally worth it.

then someone will come and post about how they don't care if our team has a low ceiling. they just want to watch winning basketball again.

I don't see it happening, but not because we wouldn't go for it. I believe Melo has a no trade clause. But, 31 years old, has the ability to opt out the season after next. I'd consider it for Fournier, DJ and our late first, but not much more than that

lol, that's funny. I came up with the exact deal.

Pretty sure Carmelo is gonna say no.

I think so too.

but

phil is doing his best this afternoon to burn that bridge. and nobody else is stupid enough to trade something significant for him. so there's a meeting in june. Carmelo "ok, im done, i'll waive the no trade clause just to get out of here. what are my options?" Phil "there aren't any options, the only team with a legitimate offer is the magic." Carmelo "fine, whatever, just get me out of here".

I think so too.

but

phil is doing his best this afternoon to burn that bridge. and nobody else is stupid enough to trade something significant for him. so there's a meeting in june. Carmelo "ok, im done, i'll waive the no trade clause just to get out of here. what are my options?" Phil "there aren't any options, the only team with a legitimate offer is the magic." Carmelo "fine, whatever, just get me out of here".

I can't see Melo's wife accepting a trade anywhere but NY or LA.

we'll draft smith

on draft night we'll trade Fournier, augustin, the 26th pick, and the second rounder for Carmelo.

Then we'll all justify it to ourselves Fournier wasn't that great. We needed to get rid of augustin anyway. and is the guy we get at 26 really going to be that good?

and we'll begin the season with this rotation: payton-ross-melo-Gordon-vucevic smith-hezonja-biyombo- free agents.

and we'll justify that its totally worth it.

then someone will come and post about how they don't care if our team has a low ceiling. they just want to watch winning basketball again.

But are we really going to tank anyway? I'd rather be the 7 or 8 seed the next two years than drafting between 9 and 12. We're not going to be this bad again. Vogel isn't bad enough of a coach for that, plus any GM could improve this team enough to get us out of the cellar.

So, if the choice is "try and make the playoffs the next two years with Carmelo," or "try and make it without him," I'll take Melo. At least it would be interesting. And after a couple years, he comes off the books at the same time as Biyombo, and we go into FA with a ton of money to add guys to a fringe playoff team with Smith and Gordon as good complementary pieces with playoff experience, instead of trying to sell FAs on our emerging talents with no proof.

If the choice is "bring in Melo," or "restart from scratch," sure, you start over from scratch. But we all know that's not going to happen.

But are we really going to tank anyway? I'd rather be the 7 or 8 seed the next two years than drafting between 9 and 12. We're not going to be this bad again. Vogel isn't bad enough of a coach for that, plus any GM could improve this team enough to get us out of the cellar.

So, if the choice is "try and make the playoffs the next two years without Carmelo," or "try and make it without him," I'll take Melo. At least it would be interesting. And after a couple years, he comes off the books at the same time as Biyombo, and we go into FA with a ton of money to add guys to a fringe playoff team with Smith and Gordon as good complementary pieces with playoff experience, instead of trying to sell FAs on our emerging talents with no proof.

If the choice is "bring in Melo," or "restart from scratch," sure, you start over from scratch. But we all know that's not going to happen.

see ^ it's already started.

nah, the entire plan going forward should be sustainable success. you want guys who have at least 4 or 5 years left in their careers so you don't end up back at the bottom as fast as you ended up in the middle.

see ^ it's already started.

nah, the entire plan going forward should be sustainable success. you want guys who have at least 4 or 5 years left in their careers so you don't end up back at the bottom as fast as you ended up in the middle.

But what does that plan look like? We're not going to win a championship in the next couple of years. We're not going to be cellar-dwellers either. The middle is really our only option, it's just a matter of where in the middle do you want to be. What can we do to find sustainable success?

I'd do that Melo deal. Trade Vuc for a couple of bench guys.

Payton

Ross

Gordon

Melo

Biyombo

Hezonja

Smith/Monk/Other top pick

+

Experienced bench guys

Outside of the draft, the huge decision this summer is whether or not to extend EP and AG. I personally would offer AG the same deal we gave Fournier, and I wouldn't sign EP long term yet.