Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I think some people are hanging on to the Skiles thing too much. I hate Martins as much as the next guy but Skiles coached the team to a better year than Vogel with a less talented and less experienced roster IMO. Both Rob and Martins deserve their share of blame for the teams failure.

Skiles coached a team with the following rotation for the first half of the year:

Payton-Fournier-Harris-frye-vucevic

Shabazz-oladipo-hezonja-Gordon-smith

That's a significantly more talented team than this years. And hennigan isn't absolved from blame for that either.

Martins is just a used car salesman. He may be good at work with business and the community but there is no way he should be involved in making any basketball decisions.

As some have said this team needs a head of basketball ops and a GM who can evaluate talent, negotiate the cap and fleece other GMs

are they still paying Gilbert Arenas too? We still have about 12 years left on his deal dont we? The Browns have won a title.

you bring up something I've always thought about.

how long do titles count in the "at least we've won a championship" discussion? And do you get to bring titles from other cities with your franchise? Like does Atlanta get to say "at least we've won a title"? if not, is it because their title was won in St Louis? Because it happened 60 years ago? Both?

Listened to Martins and ya know, he was pretty straight up.

Said they didn't feel like the path going forward that was presented to him was one they wanted to go down. Sounds like during the exit meeting, they didn't like Rob's vision going forward and looking at the whiteboard, I dunno if I was either.

On firing Perry, Martins didn't like the culture. When Mike asked him to define culture, he brought up how Cleveland and Golden State have their own culture of pride. Didn't see that with Perry and Rob at the helm. Wants more structure and gave examples how under Gabe there was so much Orlando Magic pride.

On Skiles, he said straight up that Scott had no patience and had personal conversations with him plenty of times to get him on the same page but Scott's timeline was short and not the same as Martins/Rob's. He then said again Skiles had no patience and immediately mentioned how player development is an very important part of the success of the team.

Other tidbits, feels like we have pieces rather they are starters or not that can contribute to a championship team. Says they will ask playoff teams if they can speak with potential candidates. Said that signing FA's with the new CBA has made drafting and development much more important but it's not completely impossible. Said a player like Paul George has to be an all NBA player to make that super max. If a player is not then it makes signings a little easier. Not super easy he said but easier.

Believes in Frank. Wants a GM who can sell FA's to come here and instill pride like we had back in the winning days.

I think some people are hanging on to the Skiles thing too much. I hate Martins as much as the next guy but Skiles coached the team to a better year than Vogel with a less talented and less experienced roster IMO. Both Rob and Martins deserve their share of blame for the teams failure.

Agree with this.

Listened to Martins and ya know, he was pretty straight up.

Said they didn't feel like the path going forward that was presented to him was one they wanted to go down. Sounds like during the exit meeting, they didn't like Rob's vision going forward and looking at the whiteboard, I dunno if I was either.

On firing Perry, Martins didn't like the culture. When Mike asked him to define culture, he brought up how Cleveland and Golden State have their own culture of pride. Didn't see that with Perry and Rob at the helm. Wants more structure and gave examples how under Gabe there was so much Orlando Magic pride.

On Skiles, he said straight up that Scott had no patience and had personal conversations with him plenty of times to get him on the same page but Scott's timeline was short and not the same as Martins/Rob's. He then said again Skiles had no patience and immediately mentioned how player development is an very important part of the success of the team.

Other tidbits, feels like we have pieces rather they are starters or not that can contribute to a championship team. Says they will ask playoff teams if they can speak with potential candidates. Said that signing FA's with the new CBA has made drafting and development much more important but it's not completely impossible. Said a player like Paul George has to be an all NBA player to make that super max. If a player is not then it makes signings a little easier. Not super easy he said but easier.

Believes in Frank. Wants a GM who can sell FA's to come here and instill pride like we had back in the winning days.

the only problem is the majority of his answers are contradictory.

We fired rob because we didn't like the moves he made

We don't think we're that far away because we have a really good core

We believe in hiring people and allowing them to do their job

I'm the CEO and I run both the basketball and business side of the organization

but Rob is responsible for the bad moves.

We believe we have everything in place to win

but we didn't win because of the roster

what?

This isn't going to get better until ownership sells the team.

the only problem is the majority of his answers are contradictory.

We fired rob because we didn't like the moves he made

We don't think we're that far away because we have a really good core

We believe in hiring people and allowing them to do their job

I'm the CEO and I run both the basketball and business side of the organization

but Rob is responsible for the bad moves.

We believe we have everything in place to win

but we didn't win because of the roster

what?

This isn't going to get better until ownership sells the team.

Yeah I agree. He did emphasize the future vision on why he ultimately let Rob go but he mentioned past moves which was to appease Skiles.

He discussed his role on the team and said day to day he has no role in basketball "moves and trades". He will give advise and will hire and fire but will not control trades and draft picks. He didn't mention Skiles as his ***** up and of course Mike didn't directly ask him if it was his.

I hire and fire

Skiles had no patience. That was a problem on more than one occasion.

I still got a job and I don't meddle.

This is why people like Grant Hill and Doc Rivers are being mentioned.

This is why people like Grant Hill and Doc Rivers are being mentioned.

Doc Rivers might instill pride but he has shown he makes very questionable moves.

GHill has already decline the offer.