Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

yeah when I read this the other day I kinda felt like I wrote it. pretty much my position this summer.

But if we're really talking about big picture goals for this season (comparing the expectations from the last few articles) I think they're all wrong. I don't think we have quantifiable goals this season. I think we're going to just toss the guys out there, see what happens for 30 games then pick a direction based on that.

yeah when I read this the other day I kinda felt like I wrote it. pretty much my position this summer.

But if we're really talking about big picture goals for this season (comparing the expectations from the last few articles) I think they're all wrong. I don't think we have quantifiable goals this season. I think we're going to just toss the guys out there, see what happens for 30 games then pick a direction based on that.

Agreed. My fear is we're within shouting distance of having the opportunity to get swept in a first round playoff series and trade an unprotected future first round pick for someone like Melo.

Agreed. My fear is we're within shouting distance of having the opportunity to get swept in a first round playoff series and trade an unprotected future first round pick for someone like Melo.

yeah.

my fear is we'll sit at the precipice of good and bad for too long where a good 5 game stretch will put us in the playoff race and we just sit there almost contending for the entire season before ending up with 32 wins or something but again with no real feasible direction. We just sit there frozen in place because we look like an elite team for a 3 game stretch like we have in the past when 3-4 players decide to peak at the same point but that flash in the pan isn't sustainable and that success is worthless when we lose to a few of the worst teams in the league, killing all momentum.

Someone like Melo or Melo? He's not waiving his no trade clause to come here.

Not only do I agree but I think this is the best direction to take. Maybe go to the Feb. trading deadline. Should be able to figure it out by that time. Decision time for Payton, Gordon (since we will have to pay him so big cash if he stays), and Heronja should be clear. If not competitive, look to make deals and who to keep. Pretty deep draft class next year (since Bagley III will now be in it). Would look to trade with Boston first and get one of those first round picks (Net's one is preferable even if Gordon needs to be given up and I like Gordon, just like Isaac more) Based on the players available two top picks (two in the top 8) next year would be a great start. Would need to teach this team to play Philly ball and know how to lose. Rebuild thru the draft if the season goes sour!

..... Would need to teach this team to play Philly ball and know how to lose.

I don't want this team to get any better at losing than they already are. They've become quite the experts.....

I don't want this team to get any better at losing than they already are. They've become quite the experts.....

Experts at not being bad enough is what you mean. Sure we've been horrible but we need to bottom out for the biggest chance at the first pick.

It's to soon for that this year l, I think the new guys in charge should see what they have before making a decision on tanking or not.

Experts at not being bad enough is what you mean. Sure we've been horrible but we need to bottom out for the biggest chance at the first pick.

It's to soon for that this year l, I think the new guys in charge should see what they have before making a decision on tanking or not.

Just remember that once guys get used to losing, it's not as easy to turn it around as you might think.

I said it a few months back, but I'd love to try and trade for Marc Gasol. Yes, he's old but he would absolutely change the culture of this team.

I said it a few months back, but I'd love to try and trade for Marc Gasol. Yes, he's old but he would absolutely change the culture of this team.

why would Memphis trade him though? They've had like 10 good years in their franchise history and 7 of them occurred post Marc Gasol trade. He's like their Lebron.

why would Memphis trade him though? They've had like 10 good years in their franchise history and 7 of them occurred post Marc Gasol trade. He's like their Lebron.

Because they are not going to be competitive in the West. If I'm them, I sell high for someone like Tatum.