Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I think sometimes we fall in love with guys who are good in their roles and undervalue guys who are asked to do more. Speights is great because you can play him 6 minutes in the end of the first, early second and 6 minutes at the end of the third quarter, beginning of the fourth and end up with 15 points out of it. He's not someone you want playing 25 minutes a night. he doesn't play defense and he doesn't pass the ball. He gets buckets.

Yea I'm more excited about our bench then our starting lineup.

The issue with our roster is there isn't much difference from our starters to our bench.

Payton

Fournier

Ross

AG

Vuch

Vs

Mack

Simmons

Issac

Speights

Biz

It's not like that second lineup couldn't potentially beat the starters in a 5 v 5 pickup game lol

Agreed

That's why I like the Speights signing. He gets buckets. We've got a lot of guys who have a lot of potential and play defence but some times you just need a bucket. Speights is a guy who could get hot a couple of games and give us enough offense to turn a collapse into a tight win. He's not going to play 30 mins a night or carry us or anything but he's going to have a clear defined role as a stretch big and scorer on a roster devoid of shooting and scoring.

payton is better than mack

both Fournier and ross are better than simmons and Isaac (for now)

Gordon is better than speights

vuc is probably better than biyombo.

I don't see how the bench beats the starters consistently.

They wouldn't consistently, but they could potentially. My only point is our starting lineup is a bigger issue than our bench.

payton is better than mack

both Fournier and ross are better than simmons and Isaac (for now)

Gordon is better than speights

vuc is probably better than biyombo.

I don't see how the bench beats the starters consistently.

You have a much higher opinion of Payton than I do. I would have drafted DSJ and traded Payton for a 2017 2nd 100 out of 100 times. His inability to shoot causes problems for the rest of the team.

I don't think either Ross or Fournier can guard Simmons going to the hole or Isaac with his height

I'm still waiting for AG to show more than defense and dunking. Speights can shoot!

Vuc is much better on offense than Biz but I think if Biz doesn't have to play help defense he would hold his own fairly well against Vuc.

My suggested lineup splits the shooters and defense better than that crap we watched last year. Like I said before, our starting lineup is a great bench!

They wouldn't consistently, but they could potentially. My only point is our starting lineup is a bigger issue than our bench.

well yeah, because we just added a bunch of competent bench players. we very likely erased all the problems from last year and are back to May 2016 problems. We have a roster that should win something in the mid-30s and if everything clicks the right way we might make the playoffs but we have no avenue to go from 40 wins to 48 wins because we have nobody who can create offense against good defense.

but we also can't really fix that right now unless we get lucky and one of our guys takes a leap or we have a trade or we position ourselves as the one team with cap space when a guy wants to leave in free agency or we bottom out again.

You have a much higher opinion of Payton than I do. I would have drafted DSJ and traded Payton for a 2017 2nd 100 out of 100 times. His inability to shoot causes problems for the rest of the team.

I don't think either Ross or Fournier can guard Simmons going to the hole or Isaac with his height

I'm still waiting for AG to show more than defense and dunking. Speights can shoot!

Vuc is much better on offense than Biz but I think if Biz doesn't have to play help defense he would hold his own fairly well against Vuc.

My suggested lineup splits the shooters and defense better than that crap we watched last year. Like I said before, our starting lineup is a great bench!

Nothing you said there suggests why Mack is better than Payton. Not being payton isn't an argument. Augustin wasn't payton but Payton was still better.

Simmons isn't a threat going to the hole. he was bad at it. This is why it's dangerous watching youtube highlights. your entire experience of him is dictated from the 31 dunks he had last year. The rest of the NBA did fine preventing him from attacking, why cant ross?

everything about Isaac is a hypothetical right now. it's very likely he's going to be a guy who stands in the corner and hits open shots for the first year of his career.

defense and dunking means Gordon is better at one more thing than Speights.

Vuc and Biz might be a wash. I don't know. Biz depends too much on style of play. if we still are playing a vucevic offense biz is bad (as we saw last year).

seriously though.

oladipo his last year with us 54.4% from 0-5 feet from the basket

oladipo his sophomore year. 53.5% 0-5 feet

simmons last year with SA. 53.8% 0-5 feet.

ross last year (entire year) 63.1%

Payton last year 57.9%

Fournier last year 57%

Gordon 66.9%

he's not a great finisher. he's a great dunker.

this is interesting https://public.tableau.com/profile/kelly.scaletta#!/vizhome/TotalPossessionEfficiency/TruePossessionEfficiency?publish=yes

Kelly Scalletta came up with an interesting metric that helps consider ball handling turnovers the same as missed shots and controls for missed shots that become offensive rebounds https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/nbas-efficient-offensive-players-2016-17/

shows why Fournier and Gordon were better offensive players than vucevic. also shows why Cousins might be problematic for his teams despite big numbers.

edit: to be fair, it also shows the gap between our team and elite offensive players.

this is interesting https://public.tableau.com/profile/kelly.scaletta#!/vizhome/TotalPossessionEfficiency/TruePossessionEfficiency?publish=yes

Kelly Scalletta came up with an interesting metric that helps consider ball handling turnovers the same as missed shots and controls for missed shots that become offensive rebounds https://www.fanragsports.com/nba/nbas-efficient-offensive-players-2016-17/

shows why Fournier and Gordon were better offensive players than vucevic. also shows why Cousins might be problematic for his teams despite big numbers.

edit: to be fair, it also shows the gap between our team and elite offensive players.

Very interesting and very sad.

Look at Jeff Green and Augustine together close to the bottom left of the graph.

Only problem i see with that is that it is more likely a wing has his shot become an offensive rebound than a big

Though, that makes sense that Cs have become rim runners and screeners on offense if they cant hit the 3

Only problem i see with that is that it is more likely a wing has his shot become an offensive rebound than a big

Though, that makes sense that Cs have become rim runners and screeners on offense if they cant hit the 3

I'm not sure if that's true.

I guess it depends on team philosophy too. But I guess in practice it doesn't matter if we're measuring how a player impacts a team's possessions.