Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

we were a 19-13 team playing this rotation:

payton-fournier-harris-frye-vucevic which was basically a payton-oladipo-fournier-harris-vucevic lineup because oladipo played starters minutes but had to be our backup point guard as well. we finished games with that second lineup and sprinkled in Nicholson, Gordon, and smith. All 3 played less than 20 mpg.

we then lost 2 games badly to start 2016 and Skiles went to an oladipo-fournier-harris-frye-vuc lineup that played badly while our bench lineup of shabazz-mario-gordon-nicholson-smith played really well. Does anyone remember what happened to payton? was he benched or hurt?

a few games later we shifted back to payton in a lineup and oladipo got hurt. That's when we had that Philly game where skiles basically played Payton-Fournier-harris-Gordon-vuc the entire game with frye and Mario making small appearances.

after that game oladipo came back and we decided to make Fournier the 6th man. we ran payton-oladipo-harris-gordon-vuc Fournier shabazz smith. we keep losing and skiles plays the starters 39 mpg and the bench barely despite the bench playing really well.

finally we end the month in this weird situation where Mario is the catalyst to beating the Celtics https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201601310ORL.html This is actually the game that started the legend of "Point guard Mario" as the most effective lineup was hezonja-fournier-harris and then smith/Gordon/vucevic/dedmon filling in the final few spots. This also starts a weird short stretch of games where Mario is playing over Fournier in the rotation.

I wonder if skiles would still be the coach if we didn't have that England trip that killed the team and skiles also exacerbated by playing guys 40 minutes many nights. He also started to lose his mind and started changing his rotation based on one game samples and relying on young players like Gordon and Mario who would look like future stars some games and put up poor efforts the next.

Also, we made a mistake playing payton-oladipo-harris-gordon too often together. We'd watch Gordon put up great numbers on the bench playing with two of frye, Nicholson, and smith. but the starting lineup had no shooting.

we then lost 2 games badly to start 2016 and Skiles went to an oladipo-fournier-harris-frye-vuc lineup that played badly while our bench lineup of shabazz-mario-gordon-nicholson-smith played really well. Does anyone remember what happened to payton? was he benched or hurt?

a few games later we shifted back to payton in a lineup and oladipo got hurt. That's when we had that Philly game where skiles basically played Payton-Fournier-harris-Gordon-vuc the entire game with frye and Mario making small appearances.

after that game oladipo came back and we decided to make Fournier the 6th man. we ran payton-oladipo-harris-gordon-vuc Fournier shabazz smith. we keep losing and skiles plays the starters 39 mpg and the bench barely despite the bench playing really well.

finally we end the month in this weird situation where Mario is the catalyst to beating the Celtics https://www.basketball-reference.com/boxscores/201601310ORL.html This is actually the game that started the legend of "Point guard Mario" as the most effective lineup was hezonja-fournier-harris and then smith/Gordon/vucevic/dedmon filling in the final few spots. This also starts a weird short stretch of games where Mario is playing over Fournier in the rotation.

I wonder if skiles would still be the coach if we didn't have that England trip that killed the team and skiles also exacerbated by playing guys 40 minutes many nights. He also started to lose his mind and started changing his rotation based on one game samples and relying on young players like Gordon and Mario who would look like future stars some games and put up poor efforts the next.

Also, we made a mistake playing payton-oladipo-harris-gordon too often together. We'd watch Gordon put up great numbers on the bench playing with two of frye, Nicholson, and smith. but the starting lineup had no shooting.

I think Payton missed some games due to an ankle injury. That season Oladipo was an absolute stud off the bench, wish we kept with it. That January folllowing the 19-13 start is when the wheels fell off of the rebuild and management gave up on it. Gave Harris away for nothing at the trade deadline and it was all down from there.

*edit: elbow injury for EP in early 2016

I think Payton missed some games due to an ankle injury. That season Oladipo was an absolute stud off the bench, wish we kept with it. That January folllowing the 19-13 start is when the wheels fell off of the rebuild and management gave up on it. Gave Harris away for nothing at the trade deadline and it was all down from there.

*edit: elbow injury for EP in early 2016

yeah, I think the smart thing would be to keep the rotation the same once everyone was healthy. rely more on the bench. get rid of harris that offseason if you want to get Gordon in the starting lineup.

yeah, I think the smart thing would be to keep the rotation the same once everyone was healthy. rely more on the bench. get rid of harris that offseason if you want to get Gordon in the starting lineup.

Definitely shouldn't have rushed the move of Harris when the trade netted us absolutely nothing.

Definitely shouldn't have rushed the move of Harris when the trade netted us absolutely nothing.

Skiles got in his own way pretty often.

Crazy, saw on twitter from David Baumann--we're paying Simmons, Mack and Speights less than we paid alone for Green last year.

That's all the proof you need that we had a bad GM but now have some hope.

WOW!!!!!

His record that year looks like a good coaching job when you look back at it.

Depends on what your perspective is. Was it a bad roster that he got to overachieve for two months? Or was it a good team that he couldn't prevent from collapsing?

Depends on what your perspective is. Was it a bad roster that he got to overachieve for two months? Or was it a good team that he couldn't prevent from collapsing?

We were a good team with young, immature players. He didn't believe in them too. Breaking it up didn't help. I felt Harris was more useful to us than truly realized.

I like our signigs but I think out starting lineup is massively depressing. Payton, Fournier and Vucevic are all expected to start, and 'like' isn't a word I'd use to describe any of them

I like our signigs but I think out starting lineup is massively depressing. Payton, Fournier and Vucevic are all expected to start, and 'like' isn't a word I'd use to describe any of them

This iteration of the starring lineup is fine though