Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Is there any reason for us to think it's permanent? Even if so, what do you think he's worth? My guess is almost nothing.

It's probably #fakenews by the Croatian team to lower Mario's value so he could ultimately return to the Euroleague.

Is there any reason for us to think it's permanent? Even if so, what do you think he's worth? My guess is almost nothing.

In truth, Hezonja will be fine. I'm personally expecting a breakout season. He's been prepping his game this summer. I think the tendinitis news is being overplayed by the Croatian media.

If only our bench were the entire problem. There were plenty of games last year where our starters were awful also, in fact most of them. And don't forget that Payton came off the bench for a number of games last season.

We are talking about the 19 game stretch of Payton putting up those stats. Which happened after we traded one of our 3 centers and started playing 2010s basketball. The starting lineups with both Vuc and Biz (AG/EF/Ross/EP) had positive net efficiency. The W/L record didnt reflect that because of how pathetic the bench played.

In truth, Hezonja will be fine. I'm personally expecting a breakout season. He's been prepping his game this summer. I think the tendinitis news is being overplayed by the Croatian media.

Indeed, sounds like a good excuse so it wont seem like he didnt want to come to their national team. Just PR stuff.

We are talking about the 19 game stretch of Payton putting up those stats. Which happened after we traded one of our 3 centers and started playing 2010s basketball. The starting lineups with both Vuc and Biz (AG/EF/Ross/EP) had positive net efficiency. The W/L record didnt reflect that because of how pathetic the bench played.

This is what I'm hoping as well.

There are many reasons that I don't think you can draw meaningful conclusions from that stretch, but we will see in about two months.

There are many reasons that I don't think you can draw meaningful conclusions from that stretch, but we will see in about two months.

I think it's fair to suggest that our biggest problems were augustin, green, Watson, and hezonja. By replacing augustin, green, Watson (and ostensibly Hezonja because he's either going to replace himself with a competent version of himself or he'll lose any minutes in the rotation to someone else) I think there's reason to be optimistic that the bench improves. And by improving from the 27th bench overall (30th post all star) to the 23rd or so bench would be a dramatic improvement. Post all star there was a bigger gap between the 14th best bench in point differential to the 27th best bench than there was between the 27th best bench and us down at 30th.

What I'm not sure about is how a dramatically improved bench manifests itself with wins. Does moving from a -8.4 differential to a -4.7 differential for the year (which is just moving from the 27th ranked bench to the 26th ranked bench) mean we would have gained 3 points per game and therefore have the expectation of a 35 win team if nobody else improves? Or does it just mean we lose a few games by 6 instead of 10 and 20 instead of 40 and end up in the same boat pretty much overall.

I think it's fair to suggest that our biggest problems were augustin, green, Watson, and hezonja. By replacing augustin, green, Watson (and ostensibly Hezonja because he's either going to replace himself with a competent version of himself or he'll lose any minutes in the rotation to someone else) I think there's reason to be optimistic that the bench improves. And by improving from the 27th bench overall (30th post all star) to the 23rd or so bench would be a dramatic improvement. Post all star there was a bigger gap between the 14th best bench in point differential to the 27th best bench than there was between the 27th best bench and us down at 30th.

What I'm not sure about is how a dramatically improved bench manifests itself with wins. Does moving from a -8.4 differential to a -4.7 differential for the year (which is just moving from the 27th ranked bench to the 26th ranked bench) mean we would have gained 3 points per game and therefore have the expectation of a 35 win team if nobody else improves? Or does it just mean we lose a few games by 6 instead of 10 and 20 instead of 40 and end up in the same boat pretty much overall.

While improving the bench is important, I think to truly see improvement in wins, we need to have better performance from the starters, as they will still be soaking up the majority of the minutes.

• Upvote 1

While improving the bench is important, I think to truly see improvement in wins, we need to have better performance from the starters, as they will still be soaking up the majority of the minutes.

This