Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

Before we focus too much on his good stats, what was our record in those last 19 games?

I mean that's an honest question but it's superficial.

You're judging him using the same criteria you would use for LBJ. A player like Payton and a team like last years, gotta dig a little into more specific stats.

The team sucked. That ultimately is what produces wins for every other team that isn't blessed to have an hall of famer or one of the GOATs on the roster.

here's some interesting vucevic numbers

I haven't given him enough credit for defensive improvement. Maybe that's largely to do with confirmation bias from what I saw in 15-16.

but (the other chart) its a good indicator why he's not a very good offensive player.

I haven't given him enough credit for defensive improvement. Maybe that's largely to do with confirmation bias from what I saw in 15-16.

but (the other chart) its a good indicator why he's not a very good offensive player.

So we may be trending towards Vuch is a better defender than offesive player?

Make it stop!

I don't understand the meaning of that post. Does this mean he's actually a good defensive player?

So we may be trending towards Vuch is a better defender than offesive player?

Make it stop!

He can be good on offense if fed the ball on a regular basis. The Magic's offense has been so sporadic and erratic the last 2 seasons. If used as a primary go-to guy in the offense, or if he improves his ability to finish the pick and roll, Vuc could actually have a "breakout" season where he is averaging 20 PPG. I think it's possible if given that role. Just not sure if he'd be good at it. If Payton can do to him what Payton does to Gordon, I think our 1-2 punch in offense would be Gordon and Vuc.

Last season, with new coach Frank Vogel, Vucevic’s efficiency slid a little, with his field goal percentage dropping below 50% as he shot more jump shots to space the floor for Orlando. In his first two seasons with Orlando, 40% of Vucevic’s shots came from within three feet, per basketball-reference. Last season, only 21.5% came right at the rim, with a big uptick in shots from 10-16 feet and from beyond the three-point line. Prior to the 2016-2017 season, Vucevic shot only 32 three-pointers in five seasons. In 2016-2017, he shot 75 – making 23.

Defensively, Vucevic does not possess the smoke and flair (or pizzazz/Disney Magic) of the NBA’s most athletic centers. But he understands defensive positioning and guards space well. His defensive rating of 105 and defensive box plus-minus (DBPM) of 2.3 were the best marks on the 2016-2017 Magic. His defensive rating has been on a healthy uptick over the past few seasons. Additionally, Synergy ranks Vucevic in the 80th percentile of defending pick and rolls, allowing 0.748 points per possession on the NBA’s most popular action. He also ranked in the 65th percentile of defending post-ups.

But Vucevic is not a fearsome rim protector or a perimeter-switching savant. His effort has definitely improved, especially in 2016-2017, but his physical limitations could limit him against the NBA’s most chaotic teams.

New General Manager John Hammond crafted the current Milwaukee Bucks, a team filled with long, athletic prospects. He may choose to bring that blueprint south to Orlando. The signing of Simmons and the drafting of Isaac and Wesley Iwundu signify a possible new look for the Magic. Hammond may be looking to inject the Magic with athleticism after Rob Hennigan’s numerous missteps. The Magic's 2017 offseason seems to show an altered vision.

Unfortunately, Nikola Vucevic may not fit that mold. Vucevic is a fine player, yes. But he may not be part of Orlando’s future. It may be unfair to write off a solid center entering his prime, but Vucevic is already a known commodity. The Magic’s current roster is sorely lacking in shooting, and the only big that could pull defenders away from the paint on offense is the recently signed Marreese Speights.

Nikola Vucevic’s contract expires in 2018-2019, and Orlando may seek compensation for him rather than just letting him walk. The market for a slower, limited big man may be limited. The most recent trade for a similar player, Brook Lopez, involved the Brooklyn Nets swallowing the financial burden of Timofey Mozgov’s contract in exchange for the franchise’s star center. Of course, D’Angelo Russell was included in the deal as well. Vucevic could be ideal trade bait for a playoff team looking to shore up their big man depth. With the Orlando Magic looking to turn over a new leaf – and with big men in the pipeline – Nikola Vucevic could best be suited suiting up for another team in the future.

https://hashtagbaske...man-out-orlando

He can be good on offense if fed the ball on a regular basis. The Magic's offense has been so sporadic and erratic the last 2 seasons. If used as a primary go-to guy in the offense, or if he improves his ability to finish the pick and roll, Vuc could actually have a "breakout" season where he is averaging 20 PPG. I think it's possible if given that role. Just not sure if he'd be good at it. If Payton can do to him what Payton does to Gordon, I think our 1-2 punch in offense would be Gordon and Vuc.

no