Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

does it bother anyone else that it seems like people don't understand what mediocre or mediocrity means?

I wish we've been stuck in mediocrity. Mediocrity is the last 4 seasons of charlotte. not a bottom team. an occasional playoff team but not a threat to win anything. no path to good. no path to rebuilding. Mediocre is average.

We've been bad. just bad. We needed to be the worst. We were mediocre for one year since Dwight left, the skiles year. 28 wins isn't mediocre.

Yeah we have hope our young players will progess enough to get us to mediocre. 29th in offense and 24th in defense is pretty far from that.

does it bother anyone else that it seems like people don't understand what mediocre or mediocrity means?

I wish we've been stuck in mediocrity. Mediocrity is the last 4 seasons of charlotte. not a bottom team. an occasional playoff team but not a threat to win anything. no path to good. no path to rebuilding. Mediocre is average.

We've been bad. just bad. We needed to be the worst. We were mediocre for one year since Dwight left, the skiles year. 28 wins isn't mediocre.

Yeah, it bugs me. To me, mediocre in the NBA is 36 - 42 wins and bottom tier of playoffs getting swept. We've been bad, just not the worst. I think the worst part of the rebuild and why there's so much negativity surrounding it for us is that Skiles year you referred to. What a tease.

Some people honestly don't know 'mediocrity' comes from 'middle'

Some people honestly don't know 'mediocrity' comes from 'middle'

It's almost as bad as how people use "ironic" and "literally". Makes me die a bit inside.

After Skiles was hired Hennigan became a madman and just acted like a flaming idiot. All his moves previous to Skiles seemed smart and well thought out.

I WONDER WHAT HAPPENED

B9317550797Z.1_20150531173652_000_GMJAULJ41.1-0.jpg

11909888-large.jpg

After Skiles was hired Hennigan became a madman and just acted like a flaming idiot. All his moves previous to Skiles seemed smart and well thought out.

Yeah. Hennigan was a pretty obvious fall guy for upper management succumbing to Skiles' wants and the team growing impatient with the rebuild.

Yeah. Hennigan was a pretty obvious fall guy for upper management succumbing to Skiles' wants and the team growing impatient with the rebuild.

I mean he wasn't a fall guy anymore than every gm. ownership always dictates direction to the front office. or I guess it's more proper to say that a GM makes plans at the pleasure of ownership.

ownership pushed for skiles.

Skiles influenced the harris trade.

Skiles quits because Hennigan wouldn't dump Payton (communication issues).

ownership gets impatient for a variety of reasons and changes direction from organic growth to win now mentality.

As a way to overcompensate for the skiles criticism, Hennigan makes roster decisions with Vogel. The win now mandate forces win now spending.

We trade for Ibaka (which we probably do regardless of the previous 6 months of events).

we go into free agency looking for a starting center who can fill the Roy Hibbert role. End up betting on Biyombo's potential upside after others get big money.

we sign a backup point guard who can shoot and who also played previously for Vogel.

We plan to go after a small forward stop gap like Solomon Hill. He gets too much. Deng gets too much. Bazemore gets too much. Evan Turner gets too much. We go after jeff green. he's probably looking at the 3/30 that Teletovic or Dudley got. We don't want future money. We offer 1/15.

We overestimate Vucevic's value on the open market. We basically find out we're underwater on Vucevic.

In hindsight we should have dumped oladipo and the 11 pick for a 2018 pick and punted on last year. walk into this offseason with a bunch of money. But then what do we do? overpay Jeff Teague?

Maybe firing hennigan was a good move because it gives the new front office a couple years to bide their time and get ownership to back off. Because if we didn't spend a bunch last summer there's probably pressure to spend a bunch this summer and I'm not sure we're much better off with Jeff Teague and CJ Miles

Very true. I guess mediocre just sounds bad, but it does mean average. We definitely haven't been an average team.