Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

My post was definitely not going after or even saying it's a bad thing that players don't have loyalty to franchises, was just simply saying that's what the league is now. Any player could ask for a trade from any team at any time and nobody would bat an eye.

And rightly so, I'm afraid. How many franchises have loyalty to the players? And the players who do show loyalty by taking smaller contracts to help the team retain and/or bring in better FA never really make that money up. Look at Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki, and this year Kevin Durant. They gave their teams massive "home-town" discounts in the last 5 years; they are never going to recoup that money, but they did it because their owners have shown loyalty to them, and/or the chase for championship(s) have become more important to them, since they've already made so much money.

It is the owners/gm's who have shown no loyalty, and no discipline; that can't stay within the salary caps that they helped establish that have had the most trouble, unfortunately, ours included. We all want our teams to spend, spend, spend to bring in the best players and win championships, but when they overspend on mediocre talent it makes bringing in top talent harder.

It tis a new NBA.

Great article on salary cap increase in 2016 spilling over to 2017 impacting owners, players, and, ultimately, fans.

http://www.nba.com/article/2017/07/24/morning-tip-unintended-consequences-cba-free-agency-2017?collection=david-aldridge.

Article points how Boston could have had Hayward and George if salary cap did not drop $3 million. It also brings up the idea of possible player resentment (mentions Beal and Wall before Wall's extension) when someone (with less value) is paid more than a team member contributing more.

Our most valuable member of the Magic might be the guy in charge of the CAP numbers and making it all work out. When I saw Potter of Washington get $26 million/year over 4 years, what offer will AG get if he has the kind of year most of us think he will have. I think most of our players will fall in the category of chasing money in their contract negotiations

Interesting scenario in this new NBA

I think this guy forgets Kevin Durant played shooting guard his rookie year and was bad at it.

I don't think he means full time. I think his point is there's benefits to having him at SG in certain situations.

I don't think he means full time. I think his point is there's benefits to having him at SG in certain situations.

sure.

but the flipside, I don't think there's a reasonable way to make Isaac the shooting guard. Who would we play at SF to force the Isaac at shooting guard matchup?

edit: like isn't a payton-isaac-simmons-gordon-whatever lineup still effectively a payton-simmons-isaac lineup?

sure.

but the flipside, I don't think there's a reasonable way to make Isaac the shooting guard. Who would we play at SF to force the Isaac at shooting guard matchup?

edit: like isn't a payton-isaac-simmons-gordon-whatever lineup still effectively a payton-simmons-isaac lineup?

it'd have to be a payton-isaac-gordon-birch or speights-vucevic lineup.

sure.

GS when they go with Klay-Iggy-KD?

We could put Isaac on KD but we could also put AG on him and put Isaac on Klay and Simmons on Iggy.

Right? Do they have even run that lineup?

GS when they go with Klay-Iggy-KD?

We could put Isaac on KD but we could also put AG on him and put Isaac on Klay and Simmons on Iggy.

Right? Do they have even run that lineup?

no, positions are for offensive matchups. When Gordon switched onto lillard it didn't make him a point guard.

my point is the writer wants to use him as a big shooting guard to have bad matchups. We'd have to force other teams to defend him with shooting guards or else he's not really playing shooting guard. if we play him with Simmons, ross, Fournier, or hezonja the other team is just going to put their shooting guards on those guys.