Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

If you aren't willing to pay him the max, you might as well go ahead and trade him now. I'm not sure he is a max player, but I am sure that Henny's biggest weakness was what to do with players as they hit RFA. He was forced to lock up Harris and then simply dump his contract for nothing. He was forced to lock up Fournier and that decision drastically devalued the asset. He dealt Vic before having to make the decision (which was the right thing to do on Harris and Fournier) in a desperation move to try to keep his job. Losing Gordon for nothing would be a disaster for this franchise. If there is even the possibility that can happen, you have to deal him now for future assets and star the rebuild all over. If you aren't willing to do that, then you have to match all offers.

I think you're misreading the Harris situation.

both harris and Fournier were signed to typical contracts for their role and future.

If you aren't willing to pay him the max, you might as well go ahead and trade him now. I'm not sure he is a max player, but I am sure that Henny's biggest weakness was what to do with players as they hit RFA. He was forced to lock up Harris and then simply dump his contract for nothing. He was forced to lock up Fournier and that decision drastically devalued the asset. He dealt Vic before having to make the decision (which was the right thing to do on Harris and Fournier) in a desperation move to try to keep his job. Losing Gordon for nothing would be a disaster for this franchise. If there is even the possibility that can happen, you have to deal him now for future assets and star the rebuild all over. If you aren't willing to do that, then you have to match all offers.

You absolutely do not need to trade him now, but you need to use the restricted status to work for you. You can try and extend him an offer and lock him up at a reasonable price now, or you can wait until the end of the season. If he has a great season it will boost his value and probably cost you more, if it is about the same then you might still lock him in reasonably. Even a break-out season doesn't guarantee that he will get a max offer. How many teams 1) will have that much space, 2) will be in the market for a PF/combo F, and 3) will be willing to take a chance on tying up their cap-space for a week while we decide to match? Look at how few RFA have gotten big offers lately, not because of lack of interest; but because the thought is their current team will match and you will miss out on other potential FA because the team with the RFA's rights locked up your cap space for a week and then matched.

The trick is always communication. You immediately make the qualifying offer (unless he completely comes off the rails), and then start to negotiate in good faith. You even let it be known that you are planning on matching any offer, which may actually discourage other teams from making them. If you are pursuing other FA, and need to defer signing to work the cap space, you let him know; that respect can go a long way when it comes to the long-term with any player.

You certainly don't want him to leave for nothing. On the other hand, you don't want to hand out a max contract (or anything even close to it) to a player who isn't good enough to be a centerpiece for the team to build around. Either outcome could be equally disastrous to the team's future, and both need to be avoided.

• Upvote 1

So kyrie isn't committing to any team he's traded to. Lessens his value, but also ensures teams don't trade the farm for him like in the melo Denver deal.

It makes to this much harder for us to get him now.

So kyrie isn't committing to any team he's traded to. Lessens his value, but also ensures teams don't trade the farm for him like in the melo Denver deal.

It actually brings us more into play if his value is lower and thus the packages being offered will include less quality. I mean no way Phoenix trades Bledsoe and Josh Jackson without knowing whether they can keep him. Same with Wiggins in MN.

It actually brings us more into play if his value is lower and thus the packages being offered will include less quality. I mean no way Phoenix trades Bledsoe and Josh Jackson without knowing whether they can keep him. Same with Wiggins in MN.

Good point maybe it does help us but we're not gonna offer anything significant

Tis' the new NBA. Like it or not almost zero players have loyalty at all to franchises.

Tis' the new NBA. Like it or not almost zero players have loyalty at all to franchises.

And rightly so, I'm afraid. How many franchises have loyalty to the players? And the players who do show loyalty by taking smaller contracts to help the team retain and/or bring in better FA never really make that money up. Look at Tim Duncan and Dirk Nowitzki, and this year Kevin Durant. They gave their teams massive "home-town" discounts in the last 5 years; they are never going to recoup that money, but they did it because their owners have shown loyalty to them, and/or the chase for championship(s) have become more important to them, since they've already made so much money.

It is the owners/gm's who have shown no loyalty, and no discipline; that can't stay within the salary caps that they helped establish that have had the most trouble, unfortunately, ours included. We all want our teams to spend, spend, spend to bring in the best players and win championships, but when they overspend on mediocre talent it makes bringing in top talent harder.