Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

You have a GREAT point!!!! There's no proof to the idea that Philly tanked better than we did!!! We are all even stevens right now. Both teams still at the bottom of the barrell. I like our position. I like our vision, especially with what new management is doing to augment what Henny did. Everything Henny did was not crap. If Vuc, Gordon, and Payton break out this year, and Fournier becomes an all star, would we still despise him so much???

Couple of points

I am not a fan of tanking and wish the NBA could do something about it. Having said that the proof that Philly tanked better than anyone in the history of the NBA is their last 4 year picks--pick 3, pick 1, pick 1 and pick 1 (this year was initially pick 4 and could have been two top 5 picks if Lakers would not have tanked but Philly still had the assets to move up). Nobody is that bad without it being planned. Does that mean instant success--NO!!!!! Do most experts think they have the right pieces--Yes!!! Philly has to pray they stay healthy and if they do not then Philly fails in their tanking plan. (justice. perhaps??) But the second reason Philly is in better shape is where they are with their salary cap. They are still substantially under it this year and signing Reddick and Johnson to one year deals this year ($34 million) gives them flexibility next year which we do not have. Philly's rebuild "potentially" way ahead of ours

Second point is, like you I like our team a lot. Still think we have to be patient one more year and add one more great player via the draft. (since it appears we won't get Irving) Love the forward combo potential of AG and Isaac. Hope Isaac plays 3 (a nightmare matchup to guard and he can guard a 3) or 5 (if we play some smallball). My biggest concern, and many probably share it, is Payton. Coming in his rookie year everyone said his shot must improve. So he has had 3 years and it has not. His lack of shooting holds back the potential and strengths of everyone else. Hope this year that changes but if not, I just cannot see us making the playoffs so go for a high draft pick like Philly did!!!!!

Best player two years from now who is currently on this roster is...

Our best player two years from now is not currently on this roster.

Our best player two years from now is not currently on this roster.

That wasn't the question, bruh.

You're assuming we match a max contract offer if it comes in RFA?

If you aren't willing to pay him the max, you might as well go ahead and trade him now. I'm not sure he is a max player, but I am sure that Henny's biggest weakness was what to do with players as they hit RFA. He was forced to lock up Harris and then simply dump his contract for nothing. He was forced to lock up Fournier and that decision drastically devalued the asset. He dealt Vic before having to make the decision (which was the right thing to do on Harris and Fournier) in a desperation move to try to keep his job. Losing Gordon for nothing would be a disaster for this franchise. If there is even the possibility that can happen, you have to deal him now for future assets and star the rebuild all over. If you aren't willing to do that, then you have to match all offers.