Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

eh, I think it's fair to criticize Wiggins' offense. people get enamored with the ppg totals but other things do matter.

Like 23 ppg is nice but he does play the most minutes in the league and has 19 fga per game.

he was in the 86th percentile in transition scoring

he was in the 36th percentile in isolation scoring

he was in the 60th percentile in p&r ball handling scoring

he was in the 47th percentile in post up scoring

he was in the 52nd percentile in spot up shooting

he was in the 73rd percentile in handoffs

he was in the 83rd percentile in cuts

he was in the 57th percentile in shooting off screens

he was in the 88th percentile in putbacks

so we have transition, handoffs, cuts, putbacks

lets provide some context with someone we watch a lot in Fournier.

Fournier had 17ppg last year with just under 14 fga per game

he was in the 57th percentile in transition

he was in the 86th percentile in isolation (PUMP THE BREAKS FOR A SECOND. Aaron Gordon was in the 97th percentile in isolation scoring??? I did NOT expect to find that. http://on.nba.com/2tu1HgJ )

he was in the 79th percentile in pick and role ball handling

he was in the 56th percentile in spot up shooting (this was a surprise)

he was in the 58th percentile in handoffs

he was in the 75th percentile in cuts

he was in the 60th percentile in shooting off screens

he was in the 11th percentile in putbacks.

I'll use the excuse of "he's just 22 and his efficiency will go up as he matures as a player" excuse since that's the same one we continue to use for AG lol.

He def needs to improve his efficiency. Could you pull any offensive stats where he's good at? Or are these just the bad ones?

Maybe we should go back to the stone age and just run iso sets for Gordon next year. (This is a joke).

yeah, I mean, completely ignore any perceived implication we're making here, that's not intended. There's a really good chance with more opportunities his efficiency would crash.

but did anyone remember watching Gordon isolate last season and think it was going to lead to a good outcome? but the dude scored 55% of the time and rarely turned it over. weird.

yeah, I mean, completely ignore any perceived implication we're making here, that's not intended. There's a really good chance with more opportunities his efficiency would crash.

but did anyone remember watching Gordon isolate last season and think it was going to lead to a good outcome? but the dude scored 55% of the time and rarely turned it over. weird.

Definitely weird. Probably mostly a small sample size issue there, but maybe there is something underlying there that we are missing/ have been ignoring? Maybe we are too hard on his ball handling for example?

No, you had said 23. But beyond that, fair enough!

I meant to put 22. Again, at work, on my phone, hiding it from the boss gets tricky.

I'll use the excuse of "he's just 22 and his efficiency will go up as he matures as a player" excuse since that's the same one we continue to use for AG lol.

He def needs to improve his efficiency. Could you pull any offensive stats where he's good at? Or are these just the bad ones?

those are just all of them based on playtype.

if you go to more broad definitions, he shot almost 41% on catch and shoot threes. In fact, when he takes zero dribbles he hits almost everything from everywhere (64.3% eFG%).

the rest of the stuff follows logical trends. There's a direct linear relationship between the amount of time he holds the ball and how bad he shoots, how open he is and how good he shoots, every dribble = worse shooting.

all these things point to him being a really elite number two player. Jimmy Butler is going to be the best thing that ever happened to him.

Shabazz was something before we got Simmons.

That tweet was from 6 hours ago. So apparently there is still some connection post-Simmons.

I think he got lost in MIN behind Wiggins, LaVine, and KAT. I know he was a contributor, but here I think he could be a valuable depth piece with a potential of breaking out since we don't have a clear star yet. Not saying he is a star, just saying he could play above what I think his ceiling was in MIN.

I remember pull up mid range misses but maybe it only stood out because it was bad and he actually fixed the issue and stopped doing it so much.

That tweet was from 6 hours ago. So apparently there is still some connection post-Simmons.

I think he got lost in MIN behind Wiggins, LaVine, and KAT. I know he was a contributor, but here I think he could be a valuable depth piece with a potential of breaking out since we don't have a clear star yet. Not saying he is a star, just saying he could play above what I think his ceiling was in MIN.

He is what he is. Been this player since highschool. If he's super cheap sure why not. Rather have another big/hybrid.

Fournier gets criticized for not being a great passer.

Fournier, in 2234 minutes and 68 games had 202 assists

Shabazz in 4354 minutes and 235 career games had 137 assists.

137 assists in his entire career.

Zaza Pachulia had 132 assists just last year.

don't think he's going to be a player that makes any team better.

He is what he is. Been this player since highschool. If he's super cheap sure why not. Rather have another big/hybrid.

Who are some of the names that come to mind when you say big/hybrid. I can't really think of any (I guess focusing on the hybrid part). As I said before, Noel is a name that I wouldn't mind seeing us connected with but he is a RFA and I'm Dallas will match anything we can offer.

Kyle Wiltjer was released by the Clippers after being traded from Houston. He's super slow on defense and can't rebound, but he can shoot threes. Not what we need. Any other names?

Roy Hibbert is on the market. He has a connection with Vogel. Kinda goes against the Small Ball mentality but maybe Vogel can bring something out of him.

Gerald Henderson

Jordan Hill

Terrance Jones

Alex Poythress (check out the Sixers summer league highlights. He always makes solid plays, won't shine but will be that locker leader guy like Patrick Patterson)

Fournier gets criticized for not being a great passer.

Fournier, in 2234 minutes and 68 games had 202 assists

Shabazz in 4354 minutes and 235 career games had 137 assists.

137 assists in his entire career.

Zaza Pachulia had 132 assists just last year.

don't think he's going to be a player that makes any team better.

That's a good catch. I didn't look at any stats, just thinking back on the games i've seen him in

Who are some of the names that come to mind when you say big/hybrid. I can't really think of any (I guess focusing on the hybrid part). As I said before, Noel is a name that I wouldn't mind seeing us connected with but he is a RFA and I'm Dallas will match anything we can offer.

Kyle Wiltjer was released by the Clippers after being traded from Houston. He's super slow on defense and can't rebound, but he can shoot threes. Not what we need. Any other names?

Roy Hibbert is on the market. He has a connection with Vogel. Kinda goes against the Small Ball mentality but maybe Vogel can bring something out of him.

Gerald Henderson

Jordan Hill

Terrance Jones

Alex Poythress (check out the Sixers summer league highlights. He always makes solid plays, won't shine but will be that locker leader guy like Patrick Patterson)

we have 2 million in cap space or 4 million in an exception.

Rudez was cut some time ago and it's very likely we sign Khem Birch to be our third string 5.