Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I wouldn't say I value him less. For our team to ever have any hope in the near future he needs to be much better, so I realize and value his worth in that regard. I've just never bought into the hype with him.

What would that look like? What would AG need to produce for us to have hope iyo?

I wouldn't say I value him less. For our team to ever have any hope in the near future he needs to be much better, so I realize and value his worth in that regard. I've just never bought into the hype with him.

Fair enough. I think the big issue is we don't have anyone close to being that star player we need. Gordon may be our guy with the highest potential but that doesn't mean he'll ever come close to reaching star status

yeah, sure, not 22. but a **** ton more than 10.

It would be closer to 10 than 22 with all variables taken into consideration, but that's still a decently large window. Let's be real, he's a known NBA talent, if he wanted he SHOULD be able to score a large number of points in a college game. Unless he decided to become a primary ball handler at the college level I don't see him getting anywhere near 20ppg because it just really doesn't happen in college unless you are a dominant low post presence or a high usage primary ball handler. Those are the two things he wouldn't be at the college level. The fact that we are discussing how he would be playing at a much lower level of competition is silly, and somewhat indicative of the uneasiness many are feeling about him as a long-term piece at this level.

What would that look like? What would AG need to produce for us to have hope iyo?

For me, just consistency. Not 1 game where your like "oh man, this guy really might have it in him" then that performance is followed up by 3 duds.

Gordon has shown in individual games that there is a really good basketball player there, but he's never shown he can be that player consistently.

I think P4TW posted the highlights of that 1 monster game he has last year. For me, it's us not being shocked when he plays like that because we see it so often.

If Gordon comes out opening night and scores 30 points, everyone will be freaking out on here. You'll know he's turned the corner and become a good player when we expect those kinds of performances.

It would be closer to 10 than 22 with all variables taken into consideration, but that's still a decently large window. Let's be real, he's a known NBA talent, if he wanted he SHOULD be able to score a large number of points in a college game. Unless he decided to become a primary ball handler at the college level I don't see him getting anywhere near 20ppg because it just really doesn't happen in college unless you are a dominant low post presence or a high usage primary ball handler. Those are the two things he wouldn't be at the college level. The fact that we are discussing how he would be playing at a much lower level of competition is silly, and somewhat indicative of the uneasiness many are feeling about him as a long-term piece at this level.

you don't think he could be Troy Murphy?

depends on where that improvement comes from. He could improve his 2pt%, become a little more aggressive more often, maybe get 11 twos per game instead of 9. bump up his ppg to 14 and maybe his assists up to 7.2 and we could be sitting here next year trying to figure out what the ***** we're supposed to do with him.

If he has a similar stat line to last year but he hits more open threes forcing the defense to at least defend him out there and the new defensive scheme helps him become a decent defender then he's in a great position.

Payton's future viability hinges more on getting better at at least one of the things he's bad at. its somewhat independent of what he does in the area's he's already good at.

If Payton were to take two more two's per game given his current 2pt% he'd be averaging about 15ppg. If he ended the season at 15/7.2/5 I would find it hard to be disappointed with our pg position, even if he maintained a poor 3pt%. I would at least reassess the other positions on the team bc if the other positions equaled that output relative to their positional roles then we'd be looking at a very good team. If he improved his 3pt% to what he did his second season (certainly possible) at an extra 3PA/game he would be a 17+/7/5 player. That's not bad. We all want him to improve his 3 pointers.

For me, just consistency. Not 1 game where your like "oh man, this guy really might have it in him" then that performance is followed up by 3 duds.

Gordon has shown in individual games that there is a really good basketball player there, but he's never shown he can be that player consistently.

I think P4TW posted the highlights of that 1 monster game he has last year. For me, it's us not being shocked when he plays like that because we see it so often.

If Gordon comes out opening night and scores 30 points, everyone will be freaking out on here. You'll know he's turned the corner and become a good player when we expect those kinds of performances.

see I don't know if we need him to be the "regular 30 point game guy" to be successful. I think he needs to be Nic Batum. Gordon had the same number of 30 point games last year as Batum did in the past 2 years combined.

What we need from Gordon is to be a "hardly ever 7 point guy. almost always at least 12 ppg guy."

you don't think he could be Troy Murphy?

When you word it at such my only response is- I'd hope so. To be clear, we're talking about the college level right? I don't think AG was as good a player from a skillset as him though (college or otherwise). TM was dominant down low in college and not shabby from 3. The ? of the day is does his (AG's) athletic advantage negate the difference? From the NBA level I think TM was a better rebounder and scorer with a more well defined position, though clearly not as athletic as AG. While they are different players I think AG could end up with similar production to TM though, aside from rebounding and 3pts.

Yeah Im not hoping for a 25+ ppg guy.

P4TW says Batum. I wanted Marion/Griffin hybrid but I think even David West on offense with more blocks and rebounds would be good for us.

Like you said consistency is key. I'm not expecting 25-30 points a night though.

Edit: After looking at West's stats, he'd probably would've been a 25+ player if he had an higher 3 point percentage.

see I don't know if we need him to be the "regular 30 point game guy" to be successful. I think he needs to be Nic Batum. Gordon had the same number of 30 point games last year as Batum did in the past 2 years combined.

What we need from Gordon is to be a "hardly ever 7 point guy. almost always at least 12 ppg guy."

Yea I don't think he's ever a 30 a night or anything close to it guy. But it's more getting rid of the no show performances.

And not being shocked when he has a big game.

Batum? Stat wise or role? Batum is like a guard. I don't think that's a good comp for AG.

AG gonna average at least 15 & 7 next season without doubt. First time he will play his natural position properly without no silliness involved. The continuity side is huge. Plus he actually wants to be great the boy doesn't stop working his ass off. I have faith totally

• Upvote 1