Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

I think it'd benefit him to shed about 20 lbs and get more muscular. The skill is there it's just his condition wouldn't help him in today's league. He's slow run up and down the court. He reminds me of that center that was traded from Denver to Portland a bit.

Really like nurkic. Seems like a good guy to be on our g league squad and maybe move up one day. The guy looks like a bruiser

Uh. It's for more money and includes a 15% trade kicker and new York literally owned him. then traded him for jerian grant. Then traded grant for rose who they just renounced the rights to to give him a contract nobody else was going to give

I agree the logic behind the deal is complete nonsense but the dollars is not a deal breaker. DeMarre Carroll got $10m less a few years ago, right before the cap increase and I'd say THJ is a much better player than him. And that was Weltman and Ujiri giving him that deal. There's no comparison to Biyombo either. Dude can't even hit a jump shot.

I agree the logic behind the deal is complete nonsense but the dollars is not a deal breaker. DeMarre Carroll got $10m less a few years ago, right before the cap increase and I'd say THJ is a much better player than him. And that was Weltman and Ujiri giving him that deal. There's no comparison to Biyombo either. Dude can't even hit a jump shot.

Biyombo was not brought to hit jumpshots, whats your point?

• Upvote 1

Personally I disagree that THJ is a "much better" player than Carroll was when he signed that contract.

Personally I disagree that THJ is a "much better" player than Carroll was when he signed that contract.

Post all star break he did play much better and those numbers are better than DeMarre, except the three ball: .375 vs .395 (season average). He's not as good a defender as him but he's much more polished as a scorer. He's also not 28 and the Knicks are banking on his improving and building off his second half off the season. Carroll signed for 4/60 and here hardaway is 4/71. He's getting 2.5 million more per year, with the cap increase so I'd say it's comparable salary wise. But I like THJ upside now versus Carroll 2014 season, and Carroll hasn't been as productive since that season.

I'm not on board for that strategy again. You were pounding the drum for cap space for years so we could sign two max free agents last summer... and we got Augustin, Green and Biz. If we are presented with the opportunity to add solid young players with upside via trade, sign me up.

Don't let all this activity cloud your judgement.

We want flexibility in 2019. Remember what that felt like? Felt good didn't it?

Johnson isn't going to make much of a difference in the win loss column.

Don't let all this activity cloud your judgement.

We want flexibility in 2019. Remember what that felt like? Felt good didn't it?

Johnson isn't going to make much of a difference in the win loss column.

My point is we are absolutely not a free agent destination in today's NBA. We're not a mega-market and we don't have mega-stars. Just like OKC, Minnesota and Milwaukee, we're going to have to draft or trade for really good players, not cross our fingers and hope we sign them with cap space.

Edit: And take the "feeling" out of it. I think some on this board still don't own how terribly wrong they were about Henny and all that cap space last summer.

My point is we are absolutely not a free agent destination in today's NBA. We're not a mega-market and we don't have mega-stars. Just like OKC, Minnesota and Milwaukee, we're going to have to draft or trade for really good players, not cross our fingers and hope we sign them with cap space.

We're not like those three at all. Orlando is no LA but we're pretty well known, well visited, and very diversified.

We've shown before we can sign FA's we just gotta stop sucking. First step is trades and draft. You don't trade for a slightly above average guard that's locked in an horrible contract. That doesn't attract FA's.

To answer your edit, Henny was given an order to make win now moves.

I stand by the idea that if you could trade watson and augustin for Jackson you do it. gives you Payton insurance and you still have some options available if he sucks. you can do some creative financing to get some 2019 cap space. Maybe you throw a future first with Biyombo's expiring contract to clear space. Maybe if Jackson sucks you stretch him in 2019 and stretch biyombo and just deal with that over time.

jackson-fournier-isaac-gordon-vucevic

payton-ross-hezonja-biyombo

you know, this may be one of the few gambles where it could really ascend us, if it works out. I just worry about Reggie's knee. I also wouldn't consider Jackson to be a "giver"; but, his offense and alpha-dog mentality would really benefit everyone else and align roles on the team. If all we give up on the 2 backup PG, gotta do it.