Fultz4thewin

2017 Official Offseason Thread

That's obviously worse. I think we should be focused on cap space for the future when we could land a game changer instead of trying to blow what we have on good but not great players.

I've heard this before.

• Upvote 1

It's a long shot, and even if we did make it we'd likely just be the unlucky team that gets to be swept by LeBron in the 1st round. I'm tired of losing as much as anyone but going all in for the 8th seed and sacrificing flexibility is not smart. It's basically what we tried to do last year and it put us in the horrible spot we're in now, let's fix the problem instead of compounding it.

If last year was "all in for the 8th seed", then we did an absolute **** job of actually trying for that.

The problem last year wasn't that we supposedly tried for the 8th seed. It's that Hennigan was allergic to bringing in actual *talent* to this team.

Now we're stuck with double digit contracts for scrubs like Biyombo and Fournier.

Signing some talent *would be* fixing the problem. It's something we haven't done since we traded Dwight.

You do this if you're GS and you can bring him on for a year or two at like 7-10 per.

It makes no damn sense for us, unless there's a trade in the works for someone who we can say "**** we're going to the playoffs! Hell yeah!"

As of now we're destined for another lottery pick.

According to some people around here, lottery picks are the objective of team building.

I think I'd love us to trade for Reggie Jackson if we can give up Watson, Augustin and the pick we got from Philly this draft as P4TW mentioned earlier.

I was trying to make a Fournier to the Clippers deal work on the trade machine. I think that makes sense for them potentially losing Redick but keeping Blake and for us if we can get out of the long term salary and grab an asset or two but I couldn't find a deal I liked that worked with the cap.

EDIT: Best I could come up with is Crawford, Brice Johnson and a 2nd round pick for Fournier.

I dont think PG13 to the Lakers is a done deal like a lot are saying. The Lakers are still pretty bad. OKC has a good chance to retain both Russ and George if they show they can compete.

I think I'd love us to trade for Reggie Jackson if we can give up Watson, Augustin and the pick we got from Philly this draft as P4TW mentioned earlier.

I was trying to make a Fournier to the Clippers deal work on the trade machine. I think that makes sense for them potentially losing Redick but keeping Blake and for us if we can get out of the long term salary and grab an asset or two but I couldn't find a deal I liked that worked with the cap.

EDIT: Best I could come up with is Crawford, Brice Johnson and a 2nd round pick for Fournier.

If we could sign Ingles to like a 2 year 26 million deal and then do the 2 deals above I think I'd be pretty happy going into next season:

Jackson/Payton/Crawford

Ross/Hezonja/Crawford

Isaac/Ross/Ingles

AG/Isaac/Ingles/Johnson

Vuc/Biz/Johnson

Zimm and Iwundu to the G league. Sign a bench warmer 3rd PG.

I don't know why but id be super excited about that lineup. A pick and roll guard to run with Biz. A shooter and ball mover to play on the wing or spot minutes at 4. Bench scoring in Jamal. Minutes for AG and Isaac. The potential defence of a Jackson, Ross, Isaac, AG, Biz lineup.

Of course none of that will happen but it's nice to dream.

If the $60 million Ingles rumor is true then i have to question what we are trying to do. We'll have money tied to him, Biyombo and Augustin at around $39 million. That's a lot of money to have tied to average players that aren't on their own going to make us a play off team or contender.

I suppose Ingles offers us a solid starter at SF and will allow us to be patient with Isaac, but still I'm not sure I'd be happy with $60 million over four years.

Granted if we intend to rebuild through the draft then in a few seasons start to compete then I guess these deals will be expiring deals we can try and dump. But still bad contracts can be tough to move.

If the $60 million Ingles rumor is true then i have to question what we are trying to do. We'll have money tied to him, Biyombo and Augustin at around $39 million. That's a lot of money to have tied to average players that aren't on their own going to make us a play off team or contender.

I suppose Ingles offers us a solid starter at SF and will allow us to be patient with Isaac, but still I'm not sure I'd be happy with $60 million over four years.

Granted if we intend to rebuild through the draft then in a few seasons start to compete then I guess these deals will be expiring deals we can try and dump. But still bad contracts can be tough to move.

To resume your thought, we have to wait for further 4 years and trust the rebuilding process before being able to reach the PO? BTW I won't pay anything beyond the MLE for Ingles.

This is probably the best way to get rid of Fournier's contract, but I still hope we can get more assets other than a 2nd rdr.

To resume your thought, we have to wait for further 4 years and trust the rebuilding process before being able to reach the PO? BTW I won't pay anything beyond the MLE for Ingles.

So we would have $39 million tied to Augustin, Ingles and Biyombo. Add to that the $29 million tied to Fournier and Vucevic. That's $68 million before Payton and Gordon get paid. If we pay them, we are going to be right at the cap without a single star (unless someone breaks out) and with no room to make any changes.

Like you say, we have to wait 4 years and trust the process, which based on how things have gone since Howard it would be difficult to do. We could even put ourselves in a situation where we are not bad enough to land a top pick, but not good enough to make the play offs. That would set us back a long time unless we got lucky with a star player outside the top picks.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be paying guys like Biyombo or Ingles when the team is still trying to work out which young players have a future with us and what role they will play. I'd be trying to stockpile assets and young players, maybe even take the odd salary dump, rather than overpay free agents that won't really boost us and make us a play off team.

So we would have $39 million tied to Augustin, Ingles and Biyombo. Add to that the $29 million tied to Fournier and Vucevic. That's $68 million before Payton and Gordon get paid. If we pay them, we are going to be right at the cap without a single star (unless someone breaks out) and with no room to make any changes.

Like you say, we have to wait 4 years and trust the process, which based on how things have gone since Howard it would be difficult to do. We could even put ourselves in a situation where we are not bad enough to land a top pick, but not good enough to make the play offs. That would set us back a long time unless we got lucky with a star player outside the top picks.

I'll be honest, I wouldn't be paying guys like Biyombo or Ingles when the team is still trying to work out which young players have a future with us and what role they will play. I'd be trying to stockpile assets and young players, maybe even take the odd salary dump, rather than overpay free agents that won't really boost us and make us a play off team.

At this point I would ask myself how we can get rid of Augustin and Biyombo? If we also have to seperate ways with Payton, Hezonja or even Ross to get them off the books, do so! We need a fresh start beginning of this/next season and cap room to work with. At this point the only guys I would retain are Gordon, Isaac and Iwundu.