Sign in to follow this  
the notorious S.A.C.

The real question: Does Martins need to go too?

24 members have voted

1. 1. Does Martins need to go too?

• Yes...he is not capable of managing our franchise
    • No...it isn't his fault

Can I flip the macro questions around? Over the last several years, who has been successful in their jobs with the Magic?

I think we have been successful in that we haven't handcuffed ourselves other than that we have been mediocre. We have had bad luck with draft position, I know people love to crucify teams for missing on guys but the draft is a gamble. I think what screws us is that the rules have been changed to the point where big name player movement is tough, especially if you are clearing a ton of cap space.

Skiles was the beginning of the mistakes in my mind. He was a win now coach, not a guy to develop players, not a guy for the long term. Very short sighted and seemed very much to be a typical DeVos, Martin's hire. Hopefully our next gm doesn't end up being Doc.

Just thinking about this, who has come from the San Antonio/OKC front office tree and failed?. I honestly can't think of any outside of the people we have hired. Are we just unlucky or is there a larger issue?

This has been the crux of my whole displeasure with moving on in the Front Office. It does not change the things that stop this franchise from succeeding and it does not make the Magic franchise any better an option when it comes to free agents choosing us. One guy falls on his sword but the others don't have to, so what changes?

SA and GSW have become what they are because they are well liked and competent from the very top to the very bottom. I think Danny Ainge has reinstated some of that Celtics mystique that's been missing in recent years (post-Reggie Lewis to his hire) also.

Even Cleveland struggles comparatively because they just do not have the stability at the top. There's plenty of other franchises that struggle in the public eye also. Plenty of ridiculous drama around the league and not that many teams who are attracting game changing signings. So the luck of the Draft seems all the more pertinent these days. It may take Magic a few years to win back the public Laker perception, and that wouldn't cure the league's parity problem so much as put everyone back in their places.

If they make another Magic family hire and our new GM is uninspiring then we as fans will have to admit our luck has ran out for the time being and it's going to be a while in the wilderness until lo and behold we stumble on our next franchise player and get meagre success out of him.

Just thinking about this, who has come from the San Antonio/OKC front office tree and failed?. I honestly can't think of any outside of the people we have hired. Are we just unlucky or is there a larger issue?

Brett Brown

Danny ferry

Dell demps

Mike Brown?

Alvin gentry

Virtually 100% of the people on this board want Martins eliminated from any basketball decisions and the guy as of now is still calling the shots. You just cant get rid of the roach.

Due to his business relationships his non basketball ventures are really good.

This is the main problem

Due to his business relationships his non basketball ventures are really good.

This is the main problem

Then let him just run that part of the organization. Black tie and tennys and the ilk. But stay away from the team decisions.