Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Magic at Nets Game Thread

I think AG has fewer flaws as a PF than Payton as a PG though.

There are also more good point guards than good power forwards. I think, today, there are 15 point guards that are objectively better than Payton regardless of preference. After 15 you get into payton vs Russell or payton vs Schroder or Rose or Reggie Jackson or Lin. I'm sure a few posters on here would want one of those guys over Payton but I could come up with a pretty good argument for why Payton is currently better.

I think there's only 8 power forwards that are objectively better than Gordon today before you get into Gordon vs Harris, Gordon vs Morris, Gordon vs Dirk, Gordon vs Randolph and so on. (assuming you have Barnes and other Barnes like players as SFs).

There are also more good point guards than good power forwards. I think, today, there are 15 point guards that are objectively better than Payton regardless of preference. After 15 you get into payton vs Russell or payton vs Schroder or Rose or Reggie Jackson or Lin. I'm sure a few posters on here would want one of those guys over Payton but I could come up with a pretty good argument for why Payton is currently better.

I think there's only 8 power forwards that are objectively better than Gordon today before you get into Gordon vs Harris, Gordon vs Morris, Gordon vs Dirk, Gordon vs Randolph and so on. (assuming you have Barnes and other Barnes like players as SFs).

There are many PF's better than Gordon, more than 8. I'm hopeful that AG turns into the player he's shown the past couple games, but he has a long way to go before he's anywhere near top 10, much less top 8.

There are many PF's better than Gordon, more than 8. I'm hopeful that AG turns into the player he's shown the past couple games, but he has a long way to go before he's anywhere near top 10, much less top 8.

you know how you think other people react to Payton?

that's how you react to Gordon.

you know how you think other people react to Payton?

that's how you react to Gordon.

I understand where you come from with the statement; thankfully I research and base my opinions on tangible and objective measures, while continuing to offer optimism of players that I may seem critical of. This is why you're not entirely accurate, but its reasonable to come to that conclusion.

I understand where you come from with the statement; thankfully I research and base my opinions on tangible and objective measures, while continuing to offer optimism of players that I may seem critical of. This is why you're not entirely accurate, but its reasonable to come to that conclusion.

who is a better player in your opinion?

Draymond Green?

or Tobias Harris?

who is a better player in your opinion?

Draymond Green?

or Tobias Harris?

It may not be the popular choice but I would lean towards Harris. They would not be far apart on my spectrum, though. May I ask why such the specific question?

It may not be the popular choice but I would lean towards Harris. They would not be far apart on my spectrum, though. May I ask why such the specific question?

That's good. It falls in line with the rest of your basketball opinions.

Its wrong, but it really explains the thought process you have in almost every instance. you divorce stats from context.

That's ridiculous.

That's good. It falls in line with the rest of your basketball opinions.

Its wrong, but it really explains the thought process you have in almost every instance. you divorce stats from context.

Would you care to expound on the context you speak of? You never asked for reasoning or my contextual basis, which (SURPRISE!) isn't automatically the same that you were thinking of when you asked the question. The way you worded the question coupled with your response reeks of a no-right-response pose.

Would you care to expound on the context you speak of? You never asked for reasoning or my contextual basis, which (SURPRISE!) isn't automatically the same that you were thinking of when you asked the question. The way you worded the question coupled with your response reeks of a no-right-response pose.

I'm pretty sure there was a right answer actually. In fact I'm positive there was

I wanted to see if your logic was consistent in a situation where one player was significantly more talented but put up muted stats and the other player put up bigger stats that had minor impact.

I expected you to say something like "of course green is significantly better but when I'm talking about Payton or Gordon or Julius Randle I'm not talking about players with that kind of gap or impact"

I wanted to see if your logic was consistent in a situation where one player was significantly more talented but put up muted stats and the other player put up bigger stats that had minor impact.

I expected you to say something like "of course green is significantly better but when I'm talking about Payton or Gordon or Julius Randle I'm not talking about players with that kind of gap or impact"

I'd hardly call Green's stats muted, I would call them elevated if anything. I think he's great at fitting into a team dynamic for sure, but I don't think he would beat Tobias Harris if they met on the court personally. I think you can recall my feelings on Harris as a player from the somewhat recent past, so needless to say I find him to be flawed. I would rather have Green on my team due to his proven ability to fit into a squad, but that doesn't mean he is a superior individual player as I think Harris would beat him personally. I also think Harris' single best trait trumps whatever Green's greatest individual trait is. This is why context that you criticized me of yet failed to include yourself when prompted is important. Separately, Harris' impact isn't as imaginary on his current team as you eluded to. He's contributing almost as well as he ever has and is putting up numbers that I think would be significantly higher if he were on GS.

I fail to see how any of this is relevant to the previous topic anyway, it was quite a deflection and I hate you for tricking me into to defending Harris.