Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Magic at Nets Game Thread

The entire Nets starting 5 had was a '-' in their time on the court, their entire bench was a '+'...

4 of our 5 starters (all but Ross) were a '+'... Our bench sucks...

This^ Payton is playing his Ass off. The ONLY reason we are losing now is our bench is on all time historic levels of Suck!

Ehh, our starters aren't nearly good enough either.

Nah, Payton is winning me over. I'm fine with him and Gordon. It's everybody else that's expendable and needs to be upgraded. But I feel that Payton and Gordon can be 2 of our guys when we finally get back to playoffs.

Watched the game. Starters all played fairly well again especially Payton and AG. Our bench was even worse than usual which I didn't think was possible considering how bad it already was. Really hope these later draft picks can provide any sort of depth because right now there are only 2 bench players worth keeping around and even they have issues (maybe Meeks if you can resign him dirt cheap and he can actually stay healthy.)

I just don't see how we manage to trade away DJ with the contract he has, you can see why he gets bounced from team to team. Hennigan really made some poor free agent signings this season that are going to handicap us this summer :(

Nah, Payton is winning me over. I'm fine with him and Gordon. It's everybody else that's expendable and needs to be upgraded. But I feel that Payton and Gordon can be 2 of our guys when we finally get back to playoffs.

If we're going strictly off numbers, which we obviously are for the fans of Payton--seemingly always pointing to his triple doubles--I don't see why you wouldn't be pleased with fourniers play of late--or even vuchs to a lesser extent.

Fournier in March--19 points, 2.3 assists, 36% from 3, 53% from the field

Vuch in March--16 points, 12 boards, 1 bock and steal per game too.

The reason why these stats to me are fairly empty and meaningless is the season is over, has been over, and we're still losing the majority of these games even when starters are putting up nice individual stat lines. I still don't see this new found reason for optimism surrounding this team. We've lost 4 strait, 5 of our last 6--we are a terrible teams with multiple terrible contracts.

If we're going strictly off numbers, which we obviously are for the fans of Payton--seemingly always pointing to his triple doubles--I don't see why you wouldn't be pleased with fourniers play of late--or even vuchs to a lesser extent.

The reason why these stats to me are fairly empty and meaningless is the season is over, has been over, and we're still losing the majority of these games even when starters are putting up nice individual stat lines. I still don't see this new found reason for optimism surrounding this team. We've lost 4 strait, 5 of our last 6--we are a terrible teams with multiple terrible contracts.

This sums up very well why the "pure tank" strategy of making yourself as bad as possible is high-risk. If you get that magical draft pick, great, but it had better be a really good player because you've built a team where everyone else sucks. And if you don't get it, you could be in the cellar for a decade or more. At this point, it wouldn't surprise me at all if we went 5 more years with no playoffs.

• Upvote 1

Paytons improved play is resulting in few wins we are getting. Fourniers isnt. Stats support that. (Payton, AG and Vuc are the 3 with positive impact post all star)

http://stats.nba.com/players/advanced/#!?sort=NET_RATING&dir=-1&Season=2016-17&SeasonType=Regular%20Season&SeasonSegment=Post%20All-Star&CF=GP*G*2&TeamID=1610612753

It's fair to take a cautious approach due to the lateness in a lost season. However, it's even more fair to be optimistic of how Payton has responded. Therefore the fairest position to have right now would be cautious optimism. The time for hate is gone.

Those other two guys you mentioned are actually playing well; as others have mentioned our starters have largely been playing well as a group, but the drop off after them is profound. We need depth, and one more playmaking front court player and we could have a good team.