Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

magic vs celtics game thread

Maybe my eyes need checked but practically every game thread has posters rooting for losses. That's what Franchise and I are referring to. Just scroll up at P4TWs post.

Count me as one. Go Brooklyn!

Maybe my eyes need checked but practically every game thread has posters rooting for losses. That's what Franchise and I are referring to. Just scroll up at P4TWs post.

The team isn't trying to tank. If the team was trying to tank players would be sat anytime they were a "game time decision".

But we should be rooting for losses because any win against a good team is just empty calories. It provides little value and has disastrous consequences for the team long term.

If we finished the season on an 8-0 run would you suddenly change your opinion on this season? Or specific players you don't have confidence in now? Would you suddenly want to bring back hennigan for next season?

Probably not, right? Because you know there's not much difference to a 29 win season or a 31 win season or a 35 win season in context with the growth of the team. It's a step backwards any way you slice it.

So if there's no difference, why not hope for the scenario that best helps the team going forward?

Well yeah because if we are picking in the draft and our guy goes ahead of us because of a moral win, it's going to have ramifications.

I'm not rooting for a loss but I'm not stressing over them either. I'm seeing progression and I'm excited for the off season because there's no playoffs happening to be excited about.

Well yeah because if we are picking in the draft and our guy goes ahead of us because of a moral win, it's going to have ramifications.

I'm not rooting for a loss but I'm not stressing over them either. I'm seeing progression and I'm excited for the off season because there's no playoffs happening to be excited about.

Our progression is going to be from 35 wins to maybe 30 or 31. I guess that's progress if we need to lose as many games as possible.

Our progression is going to be from 35 wins to maybe 30 or 31. I guess that's progress if we need to lose as many games as possible.

Player progression. Habits. Things like Mario playing hard in other aspects when he's struggling with his shot or hitting the weights. Payton being more consistent as we now begin the month of April. TRoss carving out a nice role for himself in the lineup and might be even better next season.

You're to fixated on wins that you're not seeing the small progressions game to game.

The team isn't trying to tank. If the team was trying to tank players would be sat anytime they were a "game time decision".

But we should be rooting for losses because any win against a good team is just empty calories. It provides little value and has disastrous consequences for the team long term.

If we finished the season on an 8-0 run would you suddenly change your opinion on this season? Or specific players you don't have confidence in now? Would you suddenly want to bring back hennigan for next season?

Probably not, right? Because you know there's not much difference to a 29 win season or a 31 win season or a 35 win season in context with the growth of the team. It's a step backwards any way you slice it.

So if there's no difference, why not hope for the scenario that best helps the team going forward?

To answer your question. Yes I'd be pretty ecstatic if we won out. It's because I understand how hard it is to win that many games in a row in this league. Our longest streak with Dwight was 9 games so 8 games would be quite the accomplishment with this group. It would give me some hope of THIS GROUP of players possibly putting it together. Hennigan still needs to go but yes everyone would be optimistic going forward. It would also up the value of our current players if/when we decide to move them. You believe these wins have no value because maybe you don't value any of our players? If the players are as good as the team, then it stands to reason our players aren't that good.

• Upvote 1

To answer your question. Yes I'd be pretty ecstatic if we won out. It's because I understand how hard it is to win that many games in a row in this league. Our longest streak with Dwight was 9 games so 8 games would be quite the accomplishment with this group. It would give me some hope of THIS GROUP of players possibly putting it together. Hennigan still needs to go but yes everyone would be optimistic going forward. It would also up the value of our current players if/when we decide to move them. You believe these wins have no value because maybe you don't value any of our players? If the players are as good as the team, then it stands to reason our players aren't that good.

All of this.

Progression from players that are already on our roster is far more important than losing games for the hopes of drafting someone that may or may not turn out to be productive at the NBA level.

That's like saying "I hope I lose on this lottery ticket, because the payout is only $5, and that's not as good as $1,000,000, so hopefully I lose on this lottery ticket because it gets me closer to finding the $1,000,000 ticket"

I don't think wins and losses really have any impact on how we should view an individual player. If Gordon and Payton are having "winning performances" but non consequential players end up causing a loss than isn't that the best of both worlds? Why should an outcome change how we feel about Gordon if his individual play, absent the play of other members of the team, is extremely positive.

If Gordon Payton ross and Fournier play competitive and we lose because we can't keep things together when the bench goes in isn't that a good thing

All of this.

Progression from players that are already on our roster is far more important than losing games for the hopes of drafting someone that may or may not turn out to be productive at the NBA level.

That's like saying "I hope I lose on this lottery ticket, because the payout is only $5, and that's not as good as $1,000,000, so hopefully I lose on this lottery ticket because it gets me closer to finding the $1,000,000 ticket"

Except there is only 14 people playing the lottery and not millions.

Its more like Deal or No Deal, except you dont even want your case, youll settle for a T-Shirt.

I don't think wins and losses really have any impact on how we should view an individual player. If Gordon and Payton are having "winning performances" but non consequential players end up causing a loss than isn't that the best of both worlds? Why should an outcome change how we feel about Gordon if his individual play, absent the play of other members of the team, is extremely positive.

If Gordon Payton ross and Fournier play competitive and we lose because we can't keep things together when the bench goes in isn't that a good thing

But this is a team game.

Chris Paul in his first years in New Orleans was surrounded by subpar talent but still got the team into the playoffs a couple times. If we agree that our players are nowhere near CP, can we really say these are winning performances, or just positive individual accomplishments? I'm happy that Gordon had a good game and honestly if EP makes a good pass maybe we win this. But this has been the story the whole season. If you're tryjng to build a winning team why isolate all these individual performances? I mean at some point these performances have to lead to wins? There seems to be a double standard here when we ridicule Dev Booker for 70 points in a loss, but oh AG/Payton had a great game they're growing.

Player progression. Habits. Things like Mario playing hard in other aspects when he's struggling with his shot or hitting the weights. Payton being more consistent as we now begin the month of April. TRoss carving out a nice role for himself in the lineup and might be even better next season.

You're to fixated on wins that you're not seeing the small progressions game to game.

This is the kind of BS the pixie dusters like you have been spouting the past 5 years. Too fixated on wins???? THAT IS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME. I've been hearing crap about this guy improving or that guy doing small things better and how important that is every year and every year the team still blows. We have a roster full of spare parts and guys who would be role players on playoff/championship teams. That is why the team sucks every year. Sure a lot of guys on the team are playing better now, but that is because Ibaka was such a bad fit. Replacing him with Ross certainly made things fit better but guess what, THE TEAM STILL EFFING SUCKS. This BS about a couple tweaks from playoffs is laughable.

But this is a team game.

Chris Paul in his first years in New Orleans was surrounded by subpar talent but still got the team into the playoffs a couple times. If we agree that our players are nowhere near CP, can we really say these are winning performances, or just positive individual accomplishments? I'm happy that Gordon had a good game and honestly if EP makes a good pass maybe we win this. But this has been the story the whole season. If you're tryjng to build a winning team why isolate all these individual performances? I mean at some point these performances have to lead to wins? There seems to be a double standard here when we ridicule Dev Booker for 70 points in a loss, but oh AG/Payton had a great game they're growing.

No. The difference between Booker and Payton or Gordon is when Booker scores 70 he's scoring 58 points in garbage time and his team was actively worse when he's on the floor. If we're down 30 to Cleveland and hezonja hits 8 threes or something like that after the game was already decided i'd say "well its great that he's making shots but it doesn't mean he's good or turned a corner toward being a good player".

The entire reason I've been posting net ratings is it shows that Gordon and Payton are having performances that are actively impacting the team in a positive way. Not some performance art or whatever you want to call what Booker did in a event that you can't even call a competition as phoenix fouled constantly to get something like 20 extra possessions so their friend could put up high numbers in a blowout.