Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

Tanking

So, I like the idea of having a mini one-off tournament at the end of the season to decide the draft order, with either the two worst teams in the league or the worst teams from each conference given a first round bye. This way there is an incentive to build a competitive team.

In this system, the worst team is only guaranteed the 5th pick, instead of the current 4th, which is not really worth tanking for. The second worst is only guaranteed the 6th pick, which again isn't that good, and the 3rd worst team is only guaranteed the 9th pick. The tournament would make sure that they still have the ability to get a top pick (and it would be in a way based on ability then), but wouldn't guarantee that winning was rewarded.

Plus, for playoff teams, it would give them a week to rest up before the playoffs started, which I think they would appreciate.

Don't like either ideas.

Tanking sucks but I don't know if it's as big of a problem as free agency where everyone wants to play together.

Most of the teams in the lottery just suck or are incompetent.

I disliked GS last year mainly because of the media but I dislike them even worse this year simply because KD signed there. It's like every team wants to be the Yankees.

I think that free agency topic should have it's own thread, tanking is a big enough issue and I think Magic fans are used to it at this stage.. While I agree with your issue surrounding free agency. maybe you should give an example of what you think they should do to stop it happening

I think that free agency topic should have it's own thread, tanking is a big enough issue and I think Magic fans are used to it at this stage.. While I agree with your issue surrounding free agency. maybe you should give an example of what you think they should do to stop it happening

Good point. Maybe I will do that.

Is it possible that most of the teams in the lottery just suck or incompetent? I mean who is actually tanking? Up until the TRoss trade, we weren't and according to them we still aren't. We just suck and other teams are just incompetent. Kings? Incompetent. Knicks? Lol. Twolves. No one wants to sign there. Philly maybe but they were solid and improve until Embiid went out again.

Don't like either ideas.

Tanking sucks but I don't know if it's as big of a problem as free agency where everyone wants to play together.

Most of the teams in the lottery just suck or are incompetent.

I disliked GS last year mainly because of the media but I dislike them even worse this year simply because KD signed there. It's like every team wants to be the Yankees.

With the new CBA players really take a hit leaving the team that drafted them. I think we will see players electing not to leave more in the future as they're leaving to much money on the table.

What if you just kept it completely simple.

All 14 lottery teams have equal odds at #1 pick.

The main issue with this would be trans that are middle of the pack might throw in the towel around this time to get into the lottery. Which I guess doesn't solve anything so never mind lol.

They should put a cap on the lotto in tiers. For example, finish in the bottom 3 record in consecutive years then the best pick you get in year 3 is #5, even if you have the worst record; finish in the bottom 5 record wise three years in a row the best pick you get in year 4 is #10; finish in bottom 10 record 5 years in a row you automatically get last lotto pick, if there's multiple teams in this situation they go in reverse order of length of time in bottom 10.

Can I be the next commissioner?

They should put a cap on the lotto in tiers. For example, finish in the bottom 3 record in consecutive years then the best pick you get in year 3 is #5, even if you have the worst record; finish in the bottom 5 record wise three years in a row the best pick you get in year 4 is #10; finish in bottom 10 record 5 years in a row you automatically get last lotto pick, if there's multiple teams in this situation they go in reverse order of length of time in bottom 10.

You're a better commish than GM ;)

• Upvote 1

I think that would help but not fix the problem. I want to be able to watch a game and know that both teams want to win.

It's a problem that doesn't bother me too much, to be honest

Honestly, it bothers me, because at present, the NBA is a pointless **** show.

You have literally about 3 or 4 teams that are of high quality, with only about 2 or 3 of those being legitimate championship contenders, and the remaining 26-28 teams all being varying levels of sucktitude, ranging from making meaningless playoff berths to just get fed to the top 2 teams, to outright tanking for better draft positioning.

Then when it comes to free agency, you have all of the stars wanting to play together on the same 2 or 3 teams, making the rest of the teams have little to no chance of ever improving or competing.

In it's current state, the NBA is about at the worst it's ever been, the only thing making it halfway for me is being a Bay Area native so getting at least a mild sense of satisfaction that the current "it" team is my local team, instead of the Heat, Lakers, Celtics, Bulls, etc.

But really, the NBA currently is entirely pointless to watch, because at the end of it all, it's just going to come down to the same 2 teams again, for the 3rd year in a row, and everything leading up to that is entirely meaningless.

I still do follow, because I love the sport of basketball and the Magic are my 2nd favorite sports franchise behind my 49ers, but I'm losing more and more motivation to do so all the time.

The NBA just isn't fun right now.

• Upvote 1

Tanking is not much of a problem for me because teams are doing it to hopefully get better. At the end, they want to compete.

I have more of a problem with good teams resting their players.

The only reason why fans are still going to some of the games is to see some of this star players play. It is very disrespectful to the fans and the league.

I will be going tk the thunders game to see westbrook play more than anything.

I will be very upset if for some reason he is DNP for resting purposes.

Tanking is not much of a problem for me because teams are doing it to hopefully get better. At the end, they want to compete.

I have more of a problem with good teams resting their players.

The only reason why fans are still going to some of the games is to see some of this star players play. It is very disrespectful to the fans and the league.

I will be going tk the thunders game to see westbrook play more than anything.

I will be very upset if for some reason he is DNP for resting purposes.

The concept of trying to make yourself as terrible as possible as the main means of getting better doesn't bother you even a little bit?

• Upvote 1