Sign in to follow this  
jjgator

Tanking

Tanking has clearly become a problem. The lottery was invented to deter this, but it hasn't worked. Here is a rundown for the current system for those who don't know:

http://www.sbnation.com/nba/2015/5/19/8625903/nba-draft-lottery-2015-rules-how-works

I don't like this system. I don't think it deters tanking at all (if a team knows they won't make the playoffs, they'll obviously lose as many games as possible.) The odds are still pretty good that teams with the worst records will still get the best picks. Of course, teams win the lotto sometimes when the odds are against them(For example, we had the 11th worst record and won the lottery and drafted Webber and traded him for a few first rounders and Penny.). It also happened with the Cavs a few years ago (I think it was the season we drafted Dipo 2nd and the Cavs drafted Bennett 1st after winning the lottery after having the 11th best odds to get the #1 pick).

My point is, people win the lotto in the NBA, but it is rare. It doesn't deter teams from tanking. My idea is to keep the odds of the 5 worst record teams exactly the same. It won't stop tanking, but I think it would help. Us, the Suns, Lakers, Brooklyn, and Philly would all have the same odds to win the 1st pick if the season ended today. Thoughts?

My point is, people win the lotto in the NBA, but it is rare. It doesn't deter teams from tanking. My idea is to keep the odds of the 5 worst record teams exactly the same. It won't stop tanking, but I think it would help. Us, the Suns, Lakers, Brooklyn, and Philly would all have the same odds to win the 1st pick if the season ended today. Thoughts?

I largely agree. Obviously dumb things like the Billy King-led Nets debacle can't stop the trainwreck that Sean Marks is trying to survive right now. I don't know if they would win another game if they tried any harder. It'd probably be a better overall NBA product if the bottom five teams weren't in a race over the final month of the season or so to keep their wins to the low-20's. If the bottom 6 or 7 teams were then hovering at 30 wins, it'd probably be a better perception for fairweather fans and therefore revenue also.

The problem being of course that teams like NYK, Minny and NO are all trying to win and could still get good odds of that high draft pick in this situation. Although, mercifully, the fans of the Knicks probably would welcome the winds of luck blowing their way for the first time in god knows how many years.

I hate tanking. I think it's ruined the NBA. Having said that, until they fix it if your a team in our situation it's completely dumb not to partake.

I hate tanking. I think it's ruined the NBA. Having said that, until they fix it if your a team in our situation it's completely dumb not to partake.

Yes. The rules currently in place almost encourage tanking. I'm not judging teams for tanking; that's what they should do under the current system. It has absolutely ruined the NBA like you said. I want to see young teams fight for wins, not be okay with losing because it might net you a franchise player in the offseason. Not only is it crappy for fans to watch, but it really does promote a losing culture(some people might argue that a losing culture isn't a big deal, but it is IMO. Bad habits can be hard to break). I suppose it's better than the system they had in place before 1985, but it is still a crappy system.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/NBA_draft_lottery

Yep, the folks running the show can only play by the rules that they've been given to work with. As someone said in another thread too, with all of the CBA changes supposedly designed to keep star players in place, it's hardly going to be a situation that will likely get better.

The other question from that take too is that if it works and stars DID stay put for the majority of their careers, what is the chances that teams with low level stars and or no stars end up being horrible for longer stretches of time. That would just be horrific. I think I'd rather have the left-field feeding frenzy where players move as they wish. If players can change direction freely, teams should have the freedom to change direction too. Happy, winning franchises would have continuity for a bit while the rest get to manoeuvre about til the pieces fit.

Yep, the folks running the show can only play by the rules that they've been given to work with. As someone said in another thread too, with all of the CBA changes supposedly designed to keep star players in place, it's hardly going to be a situation that will likely get better.

The other question from that take too is that if it works and stars DID stay put for the majority of their careers, what is the chances that teams with low level stars and or no stars end up being horrible for longer stretches of time. That would just be horrific. I think I'd rather have the left-field feeding frenzy where players move as they wish. If players can change direction freely, teams should have the freedom to change direction too. Happy, winning franchises would have continuity for a bit while the rest get to manoeuvre about til the pieces fit.

Good points. Have you read the wording of the "Kevin Durant" rule? It kind of makes sense, but it's so weird at the same time.

http://deadspin.com/the-nbas-new-kevin-durant-rule-will-incentivize-young-1790338477

Good points. Have you read the wording of the "Kevin Durant" rule? It kind of makes sense, but it's so weird at the same time.

http://deadspin.com/the-nbas-new-kevin-durant-rule-will-incentivize-young-1790338477

I've never really read it before, no, so cheers for sharing there. It's good if you have a Durant but sucks to be us with noone lol. In all seriousness though, they should have done something with this last free agent class. Like maybe play out initial free agency at the old rules til the beginning of the regular season or something, and then jacked up all the contracts to maintain appropriate percentages or something. I don't think free agency was fair for all the players NOT getting new contracts for a while, especially Steph Curry.

Tanking ruins the NBA for me, I would have two ideas to get rid of it:

1 - Like in other sports have a relegation whereby the bottom 3 or so teams get relegated to the league below. I know this would put Magic in the D-League or whatever but tanking is whats ruining this franchise.

2 - If option 1 wasn't possible then maybe give the number 1 pick to the 9th place team and work it's way down that way, this would encourage teams to fight for the playoffs as normal but instead of losing out they get rewarded for the effort.

I know option 2 would result in teams missing out but I feel it's unfair rewarding sh!t teams over and over with a lottery pick

1 - Like in other sports have a relegation whereby the bottom 3 or so teams get relegated to the league below. I know this would put Magic in the D-League or whatever but tanking is whats ruining this franchise.

2 - If option 1 wasn't possible then maybe give the number 1 pick to the 9th place team and work it's way down that way, this would encourage teams to fight for the playoffs as normal but instead of losing out they get rewarded for the effort.

I know option 2 would result in teams missing out but I feel it's unfair rewarding sh!t teams over and over with a lottery pick

I like your option 2. Very clever, an idea I haven't heard mentioned by anyone else, and seems to align incentives much better than the current system.

The reality is that as long as teams perceive an incentive to tank, some will do it. Which is terrible for the game and for fans as a number of folks have already mentioned, both in this thread and others.

As we're seeing though, it's a very high risk strategy, even with the incentives in place with the current system. If it backfires, you can make your team really terrible for many years.

Don't like either ideas.

Tanking sucks but I don't know if it's as big of a problem as free agency where everyone wants to play together.

Most of the teams in the lottery just suck or are incompetent.

I disliked GS last year mainly because of the media but I dislike them even worse this year simply because KD signed there. It's like every team wants to be the Yankees.