Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Hornets at Magic Gamethread

Excuses or reasons. Know the difference right?

Should I go back and find scorers with bad shooting nights?

No you should provide evidence that Mario is a scorer in the NBA

• Upvote 2

No you should provide evidence that Mario is a scorer in the NBA

I shouldn't of put it like that. I meant his outside shots could start falling in game if he got to the line and hit some from closer up. He comes in and seems to get shots immediately/only from three. Korver can do that. I don't think Mario is like that.

I also notice that his shot looks a little different than last season.

I shouldn't of put it like that. I meant his outside shots could start falling in game if he got to the line and hit some from closer up. He comes in and seems to get shots immediately/only from three. Korver can do that. I don't think Mario is like that.

I also notice that his shot looks a little different than last season.

I heard the coaching staff had changed his shot. God help us. If so why? His shot looks flat and he front rims alot. He put some nice arc on one three and buried it.

I heard the coaching staff had changed his shot. God help us. If so why? His shot looks flat and he front rims alot. He put some nice arc on one three and buried it.

I read that somewhere at the beginning of the season but I can't find it.

He changed it to have a faster release. Plus he's been hitting the weights. It takes a while for the body to adjust when it comes to shooting and weight training. I know that personally. It eventually comes around but there is an adjustment period.

I think Mario is having a down year with everything going on at once. Summer in Croatia instead of here, new coaching change, altered shot and weight training, etc.

I wouldn't rule out him having an break out year next year. He just has to hit the off season with no distractions and breaking out being the only objective.

I read that somewhere at the beginning of the season but I can't find it.

He changed it to have a faster release. Plus he's been hitting the weights. It takes a while for the body to adjust when it comes to shooting and weight training. I know that personally. It eventually comes around but there is an adjustment period.

I think Mario is having a down year with everything going on at once. Summer in Croatia instead of here, new coaching change, altered shot and weight training, etc.

I wouldn't rule out him having an break out year next year. He just has to hit the off season with no distractions and breaking out being the only objective.

Sorry, but it still sounds like excuses to me. Weight training, new coach, needing to get shots presented to him in the right sequence instead of starting out at three point range, and so on. Most players in the NBA do weight training. A new coach shouldn't mean he suddenly can't shoot. And if he needs his shots to start off close and then gradually work out to three point range during a game, he's probably in the wrong league. Legit NBA players can't expect to be spoon fed like that.

He needs to show us that he's a real NBA player, and so far he hasn't. All these explanations/excuses don't change that.

Sorry, but it still sounds like excuses to me. Weight training, new coach, needing to get shots presented to him in the right sequence instead of starting out at three point range, and so on. Most players in the NBA do weight training. A new coach shouldn't mean he suddenly can't shoot. And if he needs his shots to start off close and then gradually work out to three point range during a game, he's probably in the wrong league. Legit NBA players can't expect to be spoon fed like that.

He needs to show us that he's a real NBA player, and so far he hasn't. All these explanations/excuses don't change that.

It's also March. Not November. I know MM28 doesn't mean excuses per se it's just, you'd think by now he'd be past some of this stuff this late into the season. Hopefully he has a good stretch these last few weeks, it's all we can really hope for.

Well it would sound like that to someone who doesn't lift and is not an athlete.

He wasn't getting much PT most of the year. He started to hit the weights more which being in his second year, is new. The body takes time to adjust to it when you're new to weights. A good 3 months is usually the norm. This is why athletes of all sports weight train seriously in the off season. In season is just maintenance lifting. The volume and frequency dramatically decreases for recovery since the schedule is hectic and games are more important. He just won an gym rat award from their strength and conditioning coach which means he's been hitting it hard. He wasn't hitting it in the off season. He was in Croatia playing in the world games. Take into consideration he has altered his shot to have a faster release, then yes his shot would definitely be inconsistent. This isn't an execuse. It's kinesiology, biomechanics, anatomy, and physiology.

It's also March. Not November. I know MM28 doesn't mean excuses per se it's just, you'd think by now he'd be past some of this stuff this late into the season. Hopefully he has a good stretch these last few weeks, it's all we can really hope for.

He was being recalibrated for almost the entire year.

Basically his off season was in season.

Well it would sound like that to someone who doesn't lift and is not an athlete.

He wasn't getting much PT most of the year. He started to hit the weights more which being in his second year, is new. The body takes time to adjust to it when you're new to weights. A good 3 months is usually the norm. This is why athletes of all sports weight train seriously in the off season. In season is just maintenance lifting. The volume and frequency dramatically decreases for recovery since the schedule is hectic and games are more important. He just won an gym rat award from their strength and conditioning coach which means he's been hitting it hard. He wasn't hitting it in the off season. He was in Croatia playing in the world games. Take into consideration he has altered his shot to have a faster release, then yes his shot would definitely be inconsistent. This isn't an execuse. It's kinesiology, biomechanics, anatomy, and physiology.

Uh huh. And the Magic trainers, who work with multi-millionaire ball players as their full time jobs, wouldn't know enough to avoid possibly detrimental weight training during the season? That's assuming the assertion you make above is something that most physical therapists and trainers would agree with, which may or may not be the case.

Uh huh. And the Magic trainers, who work with multi-millionaire ball players as their full time jobs, wouldn't know enough to avoid possibly detrimental weight training during the season? That's assuming the assertion you make above is something that most physical therapists and trainers would agree with, which may or may not be the case.

Well I've been training athletes for 20 years. Mario wasn't getting any PT so he hit the weights. Usually guys with his personality does. MJ was known for warming up before a game with heavy deadlifts THEN go shoot around but that was when he was experienced in the weight room.

When Mario went to Croatia instead of staying here, he fell behind hence the recalibration. If a guy is slated by his coach for his PT to be cut, he's going to be more active in other areas. Practice, shootarounds, drills, and weight room. He didn't just get his minutes decreased. He hardly played.

Weight lifting doesn't affect ones shot if the player is spending all his off season putting in the reps. Mario was in Croatia.

Usually weight training starts in the beginning of the off season mixed with hours and hours of shooting reps.

Once camp starts, weight training continues but frequency decreases. Football goes from 3-4 days off season to 1-2 in season. So in basketball, one can get stronger and still spend a ton of time solo in shooting. It's what Steph did a few off seasons back. I can go back and find shooters with bad shooting years or below league average.

Throughout history shooters have down years. Reggie shot 32% as a rook, then blew up with 40% and then had a year of 36%. JJ couldn't even get his shot off his rookie year despite shooting a good percentage. Hornacek was a 40% shooter and had a year with 31%.

Shooting is tedious. Confidence, slight alterations, new weight training program in season, its like Golf. **** can be money for a season or two or three and then can be fart for the following season.