Sign in to follow this  
Ibn Battuta

Hornets at Magic Gamethread

Well I've been training athletes for 20 years. Mario wasn't getting any PT so he hit the weights. Usually guys with his personality does. MJ was known for warming up before a game with heavy deadlifts THEN go shoot around but that was when he was experienced in the weight room.

When Mario went to Croatia instead of staying here, he fell behind hence the recalibration. If a guy is slated by his coach for his PT to be cut, he's going to be more active in other areas. Practice, shootarounds, drills, and weight room. He didn't just get his minutes decreased. He hardly played.

Weight lifting doesn't affect ones shot if the player is spending all his off season putting in the reps. Mario was in Croatia.

Usually weight training starts in the beginning of the off season mixed with hours and hours of shooting reps.

Once camp starts, weight training continues but frequency decreases. Football goes from 3-4 days off season to 1-2 in season. So in basketball, one can get stronger and still spend a ton of time solo in shooting. It's what Steph did a few off seasons back. I can go back and find shooters with bad shooting years or below league average.

Throughout history shooters have down years. Reggie shot 32% as a rook, then blew up with 40% and then had a year of 36%. JJ couldn't even get his shot off his rookie year despite shooting a good percentage. Hornacek was a 40% shooter and had a year with 31%.

Shooting is tedious. Confidence, slight alterations, new weight training program in season, its like Golf. **** can be money for a season or two or three and then can be fart for the following season.

The more I think it about I think it's reasonable. Although his earlier percentages came on low volume, I think that combined with his recent strength training could have messed everything. But it also means Hezonja could be a longer term project than we all thought.

The more I think it about I think it's reasonable. Although his earlier percentages came on low volume, I think that combined with his recent strength training could have messed everything. But it also means Hezonja could be a longer term project than we all thought.

I'm not putting it on one thing. It's just my experience with this. Like Reggie for example. Shot 32% from the 3 as a rook and then came back the following season and improved to 40%. What happened? He put in the reps in the off season. Mario shot 35% as a rook. This season it drops to 30% with 9 more games to go. What happened there? Just can't shoot? No. More than likely the time in Croatia really set his development back. He was home. He was with a different team. Different coach and all the while his pro coach quits and there's another. After the tournament he comes back and relaxes for a sec and then gets thrown into training camp learning on the fly. Confidence is shot.

Philosophy has changed. Role has changed. Team has changed. Defensively struggles and coach decides "meh, your gonna sit for a while. Welcome to to your off season."

I'm not putting it on one thing. It's just my experience with this. Like Reggie for example. Shot 32% from the 3 as a rook and then came back the following season and improved to 40%. What happened? He put in the reps in the off season. Mario shot 35% as a rook. This season it drops to 30% with 9 more games to go. What happened there? Just can't shoot? No. More than likely the time in Croatia really set his development back. He was home. He was with a different team. Different coach and all the while his pro coach quits and there's another. After the tournament he comes back and relaxes for a sec and then gets thrown into training camp learning on the fly. Confidence is shot.

Philosophy has changed. Role has changed. Team has changed. Defensively struggles and coach decides "meh, your gonna sit for a while. Welcome to to your off season."

This^ sounds bout right. I see his confidence building lately. Which is nice. Also on that Croatia team he played with two chuckers and rarely saw the ball. Bogs and Dario hardly ever gave him the ball. And up until recently DJ and green were doing the same thing.

None of this would have stopped him from practicing his shot in the offseason. It's a long offseason and I don't know how much of it he spent there. And they have basketballs and baskets there too, same size and height that we have here.

But enough of this discussion. Time will tell whether he can become the shooter he was drafted to be, or not. If he doesn't shoot well by next season, no amount of explanations will matter.

None of this would have stopped him from practicing his shot in the offseason. It's a long offseason and I don't know how much of it he spent there. And they have basketballs and baskets there too, same size and height that we have here.

But enough of this discussion. Time will tell whether he can become the shooter he was drafted to be, or not. If he doesn't shoot well by next season, no amount of explanations will matter.

The funny thing is is even if he can't shoot again next year, you'll hear new or possibly even recycled Mario excuses on here again.

The funny thing is is even if he can't shoot again next year, you'll hear new or possibly even recycled Mario excuses on here again.

Nah. If he spends the off season here working on his game, I think he'll have a really good year. Hard work and patience will always be a big reason for success at anything. Just too many microwavers nowadays.

I find it hilarious the people that say he can't shoot when he has a history before this year of showing he can and use THIS year as an EXCUSE in why he can't.

I dont think so. He has not participated on a full offseasonn training with the team yet. I do think that if he fails to show any improvement next season he will either not be extended/sign or likely will be traded.

Nah. If he spends the off season here working on his game, I think he'll have a really good year. Hard work and patience will always be a big reason for success at anything. Just too many microwavers nowadays.

I find it hilarious the people that say he can't shoot when he has a history before this year of showing he can and use THIS year as an EXCUSE in why he can't.

Plenty of people work hard but just don't have the talent to make it as an elite athlete. Hopefully Mario has that talent but he hasn't proven it yet. As I've said, success at lower levels of competition doesn't automatically translate into continued success as you move up. Mario shot marginally better in his rookie year but far from great, or even good.

I think most are in agreement that if he can't show good shooting next season, the Mario project comes to an end.