Fultz4thewin

Magic vs Hawks

Right, but with Payton as George Hill, Fournier as Lance Stephenson, Gordon as Paul George, and Vucevic as Roy Hibbert... That was either extremely optimistic, or extremely dumb...

Both?

Pooper Mario? Pfft.. more like Serge the Turd..

It appears the primary move to get us to playoffs (trading for Ibaka), has actually cost us any chance of the playoffs.

Painful and costly lesson learned.. took way too long to realize.

I'm surprised no ones really talked about how good a game Gordon had

Gordon, Payton, Ross and Vooch all were balling. And Biz and Hezonja were playing tough, too. Kind of crazy. We looked like a completely new and athletic team

The fact that AG shutdown an all star like Paul Millsap isn't lost on me. Last night has been just another chapter in the revelation that is AG at the 4...in that he was nigh unstoppable when he drove down the lane and hammered it home making it look easy. He did this while keeping Millsap off of his game by using his athleticism and defensive instincts, keeping him to an abysmal 3/10 from the field, and just making Paul's life a living hell. But AG wasn't the only forward going off last night and making it look easy...Ross was lighting it up too. As I said last game, I kind of have been thinking that Ross was a steal, and that maybe the reason he hasn't been getting enough credit is because he has been playing behind Derozan and playing with Lowry, two guys who are very good offensive weapons, and as such limited his touches a great deal. It might just be possible that Ross could be a 20+ point guy on this team, maybe even more if he continues with what he has been doing these last two games. But to say that offense is the only thing he does would be wrong, the guy has done more than his fair share in containing opposing guards and forwards: grabbing steals, forcing tough shots, and doing a good job at switching on D.

When Ross first entered the league I wanted him, he was a guy who I saw potential in, but I never thought Ross was THIS good. He didn't pass as much this last game because he was going red hot and at that point can you blame him? Still he didn't kill ball movement and played within himself which is more than I can say for Bricks (Fournier). Also there were a few times that Ross created for himself, once again a surprise because I thought we were getting a 3-D guy, but Ross seems to be more than that. I would say that playing behind Derozan may have been good for him, he got to see how a top offensive player plays like, and it somehow has molded Ross' game into a dynamic scorer who can get you threes, hit mid-range shots, and cut to the basket with a great degree of confidence. Is there a downside to Ross? We need more games to see that, but once again I will reiterate...there may be a chance that Ross could be something special, this could be one of the rare instances that a guy just wasn't being used for all of his strengths and could be potentially... dare I say it? A star?

Now for final thoughts:

Ross and AG were killing it last night, they were the two guys leading the team on the court, and motivating the team to do what needed to be done last night. While this hurt the tank, it was also a morale booster for next season, because Ross will have more time to gel, and AG will have much more time to develop as a 4 with an actual solid forward/guard combo being on the team. EP continued to be inconsistent, he played well last night, almost notching a triple double, but I know for a fact that I can take that with a grain of salt due to watching him for the last few years. If he could consistently be this type of player then EP would actually be worth keeping, but I know this won't last, unless somehow he could still stay motivated throughout, though I doubt that will ever happen. Just how it is. Vuc had a bad offensive game, he took a lot of shots, hit a few, but missed more. However, he did rebound very well, and his help defense last night was rather good. If he cleans up his offense from last night and continues to defend and rebound like he did last night it might just be worth keeping him. Fournier was by far the worst player on the team last night, shooting 20% and continuing to show that he is now not necessary for this team moving forward.

His defense is bad, when he isn't hitting shots on the perimeter he refuses to go in and make the easy shots, and more so than that he just looks out of place on a team that values ball movement. There was a moment that I saw him throw his hands up when he didn't get a pass even though we scored that made me cringe, he has been tasked with being the main offensive guy, but now that he isn't taking like twenty or so shots a game, he is clearly getting frustrated. Mario continues to impress me defensively, he also is a solid offensive weapon who needs more polish, and could be a damn good replacement for Fournier next season (he is already at that level). We need to run more plays for Mario and less for Fournier, the kid needs to talk to Ross, and actually shadow him because I feel that Ross is the guy who would be perfect to mentor this young guy. All in all it was a good game, it hurt the tank, but it was fun to watch, and I can't wait till Wednesday...we need to lose the Knicks twice to solidify us getting a top 5 pick, but it is hard for me to think we are going to be losing many more games this season if this is the team we will get for the rest of the season.

Potential Line-up Next Season:

EP (If we can't trade him or we don't land a stud PG)

Ross

Mario (He fits better here than Fournier does, he actually passes, and plays D. Two things that make him more valuable than Evan)

AG

Vuc (It won't be hard to move Vuc, but at the same time if we move him it leaves a gaping hole at the 5.)

Draft Day Trade:

Fournier and the late first from Toronto for a higher draft pick.

(Say what you will, but Fournier can score, and would be a good option as a secondary or third scorer on a team somewhere. In the range we will be moving up to are fringe teams on the edge of making the playoffs and a player like Fournier who can score would only help them deepen their bench or strengthen their starting lineup. Plus they still get a first so there really is no lose/lose for this. The Magic clear out clutter at the 2 or 3 opening up time for Ross and Mario to shine and they get a higher first maybe in the late teens or low twenties area where they can find sixth men to play the 2 or the 3 moving forward.)

I don't think Gordon at four makes as much of a difference as the ball movement, pace, and space we're getting (though the spacing and pace are a direct relation from playing big).

He only scored a couple times trying to take his guy one on one. The rest were taking advantage of a defense on its heels.

I don't think Gordon at four makes as much of a difference as the ball movement, pace, and space we're getting (though the spacing and pace are a direct relation from playing big).

He only scored a couple times trying to take his guy one on one. The rest were taking advantage of a defense on its heels.

I missed the game last night. What are the takeaways? Did we play faster paced? Did Payton attack? Is the ball movement better or was it that Ross was taking over the game? Do you believe this is temporary or has a good chance of sticking?

I missed the game last night. What are the takeaways? Did we play faster paced? Did Payton attack? Is the ball movement better or was it that Ross was taking over the game? Do you believe this is temporary or has a good chance of sticking?

Yes, yes, yes, yes, its sustainable

Fournier had a bad game last night but I'm not ready to feed him to the wolves. He's still a young player with a good offensive game.

He seems to be taking a little longer getting used to playing with someone like Ross, who can actually score himself. I think he will improve in the coming games and go back to his normal production. Last night he just wasn't right. On just about every shot he took he was either leaning left or right or slightly fading away. He was in his own head and it showed.

I think this improved play is sustainable. We still aren't a good team but we will win a few more games playing like this.

Fournier had a bad game last night but I'm not ready to feed him to the wolves. He's still a young player with a good offensive game.

He seems to be taking a little longer getting used to playing with someone like Ross, who can actually score himself. I think he will improve in the coming games and go back to his normal production. Last night he just wasn't right. On just about every shot he took he was either leaning left or right or slightly fading away. He was in his own head and it showed.

I think this improved play is sustainable. We still aren't a good team but we will win a few more games playing like this.

On the subject of being a good team, i think it depends on what ross and Gordon are.

On the subject of being a good team, i think it depends on what ross and Gordon are.

If you go on the reports RealGm page, there's like a 9 page thread on people saying they shouldn't have traded Ross.