Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Aaron Gordon dunk contest

I thought the skills challenge has continued the trend of being the most entertaining of the events, thought Eric Gordon did a good job on 3's. His form was so consistent. I don't buy all the stuff about AG being shafted, he just couldn't make any dunks.

the all star game has never been competitive. NBAtv was playing past all star games and the 1985 game was just as much of a free for all as it is now.

Ok maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. In the past there was always a sense of rivalry in the air. Shaq vs Drob was one and that dunk highlighted it. East Vs West had a lot more of gladiator vibe as well. Probably a representation of the league as a whole and it's lack of team rivalries currently. Especially with all the super teams that have happened.

Games were/are 120-140 with no defense until the 4th. Just the vibe has changed.

I'm a pretty intuitive person so it's hard to explain unless you're the same.

Ok maybe I'm not explaining it correctly. In the past there was always a sense of rivalry in the air. Shaq vs Drob was one and that dunk highlighted it. East Vs West had a lot more of gladiator vibe as well. Probably a representation of the league as a whole and it's lack of team rivalries currently. Especially with all the super teams that have happened.

Games were/are 120-140 with no defense until the 4th. Just the vibe has changed.

Lol. You sure it's being intuitive and not just cognitive dissonance?

It's also hard to explain if it's wrong.

And to add to the whole is the all-star game competitive debate, I'll never forget MJ's last all-star game in 03... he and Kobe dueling, clutch shots back and forth near the end, double OT, just fun... it seems the spirit of the game is never competitive until it's a close game near the end and the egos take over

And to add to the whole is the all-star game competitive debate, I'll never forget MJ's last all-star game in 03... he and Kobe dueling, clutch shots back and forth near the end, double OT, just fun... it seems the spirit of the game is never competitive until it's a close game near the end and the egos take over

Competitive is probably the wrong word. Especially in reference to the all star game.

The NBA in general had a different vibe and so did the all star game.

Yeah it was never a game of defense though there were times where defensive players got in and did play defense.

Just more stars spreaded out during the same time guys liked playing against each other not with each other like they do now. Just made the all star game more appealing to me.