Sign in to follow this  
Orlando Magic Toaster

Aaron Gordon dunk contest

Easily the worst dunk contest ever. Worse than Nate's 10 tries. They did everything they could to try and give it to the Phoenix guy. See it was so bad I can't remember his name.

We should not judge on attempts. Judge only completed dunks.

If the first attempt is not completed, after judges score dunks, they deduct 1 point for every incompleted dunk or attempt.

If the player jumps it should count as an attempt. If the ball goes through the hoop it's counts as your dunk.

5 misses results in a 0 score.

Do 3 dunks in the first round and take the highest 2 scores. The 3rd is used as a tie break , and if still tied, whoever took the least attempts moves on. The 3rd tie break is the best dunk. The judges must choose who had the best dunk if a 4th tie break is needed.

Two round final with same rules.

Only allow previous dunk champions to judge dunks. And no repeat judges more than every 3 years. Panel should be announced when participants are, so dunks can cater to the judges tastes.

The current rules don't encourage harder dunks because judges can over penalize. Why should Gordon get a 38 when it took 4 (or 3) attempts to complete a 50 point dunk and another dunker get a 50 after 3 attempts and simplifying his dunk on a dunk worth 50. My system would have awarded Gordon a 46 (or 47) and the other guy a 47.

I do agree Gordon was not himself and he was punished for not living up to the hype and greatness last year. Gordon was eliminated on a 50 dunk because of multiple attempts which is not consistent with past contests or even during this contest. His first score eliminated him when a 50 and 45 were scored already. Let's not forget that 45 was when the player pushed himself up to get enough height, which should be punished. The judging is not consistent and ruined the contest full of bad dunks. A guy jumps from 11 feet and gets a score equal to LaVine jumping from 15 feet and going between the legs, that is not right. The final dunk was the only true 50. The side of the backboard has been done in many contests and was scored a 50, I would have only given a 9, because an unoriginal dunk should have a max value of 49.

We want a show, not a war of attrition. And there is no way Gordon's 2nd dunk was his best dunk, so he is not getting enough lift off of a foot that is not 100%.

Anyway , it turned out to be the WORST contest ever. None of them should be proud.

Easily the worst dunk contest ever. Worse than Nate's 10 tries. They did everything they could to try and give it to the Phoenix guy. See it was so bad I can't remember his name.

We should not judge on attempts. Judge only completed dunks.

If the first attempt is not completed, after judges score dunks, they deduct 1 point for every incompleted dunk or attempt.

If the player jumps it should count as an attempt. If the ball goes through the hoop it's counts as your dunk.

5 misses results in a 0 score.

Do 3 dunks in the first round and take the highest 2 scores. The 3rd is used as a tie break , and if still tied, whoever took the least attempts moves on. The 3rd tie break is the best dunk. The judges must choose who had the best dunk if a 4th tie break is needed.

Two round final with same rules.

Only allow previous dunk champions to judge dunks. And no repeat judges more than every 3 years. Panel should be announced when participants are, so dunks can cater to the judges tastes.

The current rules don't encourage harder dunks because judges can over penalize. Why should Gordon get a 38 when it took 4 (or 3) attempts to complete a 50 point dunk and another dunker get a 50 after 3 attempts and simplifying his dunk on a dunk worth 50. My system would have awarded Gordon a 46 (or 47) and the other guy a 47.

I do agree Gordon was not himself and he was punished for not living up to the hype and greatness last year. Gordon was eliminated on a 50 dunk because of multiple attempts which is not consistent with past contests or even during this contest. His first score eliminated him when a 50 and 45 were scored already. Let's not forget that 45 was when the player pushed himself up to get enough height, which should be punished. The judging is not consistent and ruined the contest full of bad dunks. A guy jumps from 11 feet and gets a score equal to LaVine jumping from 15 feet and going between the legs, that is not right. The final dunk was the only true 50. The side of the backboard has been done in many contests and was scored a 50, I would have only given a 9, because an unoriginal dunk should have a max value of 49.

We want a show, not a war of attrition. And there is no way Gordon's 2nd dunk was his best dunk, so he is not getting enough lift off of a foot that is not 100%.

Anyway , it turned out to be the WORST contest ever. None of them should be proud.

Agree with a lot of this--good post.

The Judging is a joke, no consistency from year to year or even dunk to dunk. Should be previous dunk constrstants at least, champions would be ideal.

You need dunkers to judge other dunkers. They know what it takes with difficulty and what not.

I haven't watched all star weekend in years. Just not the same. Back in the day it was competitive and some of the best competed. Still remember when Shaq handed Drob his ass to him on a dunk. Just don't see that anymore. Star players were uber competitive against each other.

I haven't watched all star weekend in years. Just not the same. Back in the day it was competitive and some of the best competed. Still remember when Shaq handed Drob his ass to him on a dunk. Just don't see that anymore. Star players were uber competitive against each other.

No. You're remembering it wrong. It was never competitive and usually consisted of Shaq pretending to be a point guard.

No. You're remembering it wrong. It was never competitive and usually consisted of Shaq pretending to be a point guard.

No I'm not man. I've tried watching and it's not the same. Don't need you to tell me that. Been watching for almost 30 years.

It wasn't like a regular game sure. Never will be. Defense isn't a huge concern but there was a balance of stars on both sides and the game was more entertaining. Stars were more engaged.

That Shaq dunk was amazing man.