dshawg77

Lifelong Magic Fan-Can No Longer Support This Team BC of Devos

I have been a lifelong Magic fan through the ups and downs. I come down to a few games every year since I moved. I cannot do it any longer. The politics in this country are so terrible. What the Devos family represents is immoral and the candidate they support is dangerous and immoral. I have been feeling this since the election and I cannot do it any longer. Magic, you will lose my money for the games I pay to watch out-of-market and the $$ I spend at Amway when I come to visit on tickets, concessions, travel and merchandise.

Florida and Devos: you deserve one another. I cannot do it any longer, my moral compass will not allow it.

I'm going to leave this up for now but I'd like to gauge the feelings of the message board. It's political but it's also Magic related.

But I also get that sports is escapism and some people don't want to deal with that on a basketball message board. If only one or two people have problems maybe i'll just move it to off topic.

I am posting on real gm as well and they had somethig similar there.

I don't particularly care.

About 50% of your country voted for Trump so if you're going to cut ties.. you have a lot of work to do

The current product on the floor is simply a rushed attempt to compete. Devos doesn't have long on this planet and wants to see a ship before he goes. Can't blame the man at all for that. It wasn't we traded for the wrong player we just did it at the wrong time. I firmly believe they are going to do whatever it takes to right this situation because of that fact.

Ya know, I'm not a big Trump fan and I take it day by day with him. I think irrationally has become the dominating reaction (overreaction more like) to Trump. When I was younger I was a registered democrat. Now I tend to say I'm just subjective as I do have some conservative beliefs. There is no perfect candidate as there is no perfect person in this world. I did vote for him because of national security reasons. I don't feel safety was on Clintons agenda. Votes were her main priority and that scared the day lights out of me. However I think this particular Magic fan, while having his right to feel the way he does, really seems to react without really having a well thought out opinion.

Devos is a pretty damn good owner. He treats his players with respect, spends money with no qualms, does charity work, promotes within, and is just as passionate about this teams success as we are. Sure, we can find stuff like nepotism, good character players over talent, etc but his idea was to put a successful product on the floor with wholesome athletes. Can't fault him for that and I think it's one of those things that you don't know what you got until its gone. With Trump, you don't know what you have until its here.

So, I'd keep the two separate if I was you. Take it day by day with Trump. Trust that you live in a country where the President actually is hired and fired by us, the people, no matter who it is and be grateful you have an owner who's respectful and one of better ones in the league and not have Sterling running the show.

I have been a magic fan since the inception, always a team and player fan never an owner fan. This particular owner has always been right of atila politically but has spent money on getting players which is good.

To the op, what other than our new president has swayed you recently? Because devos hasn't changed.

I have been a magic fan since the inception, always a team and player fan never an owner fan. This particular owner has always been right of atila politically but has spent money on getting players which is good.

To the op, what other than our new president has swayed you recently? Because devos hasn't changed.

This is fair.

And that's kinda the thought process I've always gone with. Devos has his societal views and got his money via pyramid scheme. but if you drill down to all sports owners you're going to find something that's incompatible with your own personal views.

I'd prefer if Devos wasn't anti-LGBT especially with the identity that Orlando is starting to form post-Pulse. I'd prefer if he earned his wealth through more palatable means. And I'd prefer if his family was more neutral politically. But I don't let that impact my enjoyment of the team. But I also don't blame anyone for not being able to tolerate that.

This is fair.

And that's kinda the thought process I've always gone with. Devos has his societal views and got his money via pyramid scheme. but if you drill down to all sports owners you're going to find something that's incompatible with your own personal views.

I'd prefer if Devos wasn't anti-LGBT especially with the identity that Orlando is starting to form post-Pulse. I'd prefer if he earned his wealth through more palatable means. And I'd prefer if his family was more neutral politically. But I don't let that impact my enjoyment of the team. But I also don't blame anyone for not being able to tolerate that.

It used to be politics and sports were separate. But with all the gerrymandering of districts, the far right and left rule (mainly just far-right now).

People's rights aren't political issues, they are moral ones. Devos is a disgrace as Dept of Education. I have ignored the Devos pyramid empire for too long, these are life and death issues for many immigants, people of color and LGBT individuals.

Not really a choice. I can't support them. I will continue to support Orlando City Football.

This is fair.

Is he anti LGBT?

Yeah i don't care for his pyramid scheme and I do not like the Betsey Devos pick either.

What if, as Magic fans, we tried to organize fundraising efforts to match funding for marraige equality and other progressive organizations as a kind of karmic balance to things?

That's something I've tried to do recently by myself but it might have a broader meaning if it's something we do collectively