Sign in to follow this  
jec

Officially Official Gamethread: Grizzlies @ Magic 12/26/16

Great win against a quality team at home, possibly the first of the year. Great team effort, no one person was responsible, especially great defense when building that huge lead.

It's hard not to notice how good we've looked on both sides without Fournier the past two games. Meeks was playing very good defense tonight in addition to having a great shooting night. I've seen all the posts on both sides of the Fournier issue. I'm not sure we shouldn't bring him off the bench when he comes back. Ball does seem to move better without him, and I think we're better on defense also. Great defense means more fast breaks and easier shots off defensive rebounds and forced turnovers, so it really helps the offense.

Great win against a quality team at home, possibly the first of the year. Great team effort, no one person was responsible, especially great defense when building that huge lead.

It's hard not to notice how good we've looked on both sides without Fournier the past two games. Meeks was playing very good defense tonight in addition to having a great shooting night. I've seen all the posts on both sides of the Fournier issue. I'm not sure we shouldn't bring him off the bench when he comes back. Ball does seem to move better without him, and I think we're better on defense also. Great defense means more fast breaks and easier shots off defensive rebounds and forced turnovers, so it really helps the offense.

I think ultimately Fournier looks worse when he does too much. There's no reason he can't take a step back offensively in order to play more efficiently

Don't get me excited with a statement like that.

Man if only...

Tonight, for the first time, it looked possible. He was so confident with his jump shot, and it looked good every time he shot it

Vogel and company appear to be doing a very good job developing Gordon and Payton. Those two, plus Mario, are the rebuild.

This off-season will be interesting. Green was a bridge while Gordon developed at the 3. His $15 million will be available. But Meeks and Ibaka are going to cost more than they do now. Assuming this team ends the year above .500 and makes the playoffs, is Henny going to be comfortable resigning those two and hoping for continued improvement through maturation? Vuc is on a great contract, but will likely not be happy in a reserve role long term. Do you shop him? How about Fournier? Is he the long term commitment you want or are we heading toward another Harris situation?

Vogel and company appear to be doing a very good job developing Gordon and Payton. Those two, plus Mario, are the rebuild.

This off-season will be interesting. Green was a bridge while Gordon developed at the 3. His $15 million will be available. But Meeks and Ibaka are going to cost more than they do now. Assuming this team ends the year above .500 and makes the playoffs, is Henny going to be comfortable resigning those two and hoping for continued improvement through maturation? Vuc is on a great contract, but will likely not be happy in a reserve role long term. Do you shop him? How about Fournier? Is he the long term commitment you want or are we heading toward another Harris situation?

Meeks is an interesting case because he's not replaceable in free agency or the draft unless we can somehow convince JJ to come back. There's not a lot of quick release volume three point shooters out there at shooting guard.

I think ultimately Fournier looks worse when he does too much. There's no reason he can't take a step back offensively in order to play more efficiently

I partially agree. However, he's not demonstrated much passing ability yet. The ball tends to get stuck when he has it, or he makes an unhelpful pass to Vuch in traffic. I'm not sure if it's just that he's trying to do too much, or if he just doesn't have that much talent as a passer.

Also, there is the defensive end. There is no question that Fournier gives 100% effort out there, but even so we looked a lot better on defense without him. Small sample size, I know, but very big difference.

I partially agree. However, he's not demonstrated much passing ability yet. The ball tends to get stuck when he has it, or he makes an unhelpful pass to Vuch in traffic. I'm not sure if it's just that he's trying to do too much, or if he just doesn't have that much talent as a passer.

Also, there is the defensive end. There is no question that Fournier gives 100% effort out there, but even so we looked a lot better on defense without him. Small sample size, I know, but very big difference.

yeah but meeks isn't really tony allen out there either.

That's the whole thing with Fournier. take the ball out of his hands. He can do a few things at a really high level so why not just focus on those things?

yeah but meeks isn't really tony allen out there either.

That's the whole thing with Fournier. take the ball out of his hands. He can do a few things at a really high level so why not just focus on those things?

Is Fournier one of those guys who if you take the ball out of his hands he disappears though and contributes nothing?