Sign in to follow this  
MagicFanInNevada

How would you rate your game?

Just a little something different from trade and game discussions.

If you had to rate your game from 0-10 what would it be? What are your strengths and weaknesses? Also, who would you compare your game to?

Game rating: If I had to rate my Game it'd probably be a 6.

Strengths: I play great defense, have good court vision, can pass pretty well, quick hands/good at stealing, although only 5'8" I can rebound with the best of them, can shoot 3's pretty well

Weaknesses: Handles are terrible, I panic when somebody is playing tough D on me in fear of getting my shot blocked, inconsistent shooting, not very good at driving to the basket, and not good using my left hand at all.

Comparison: If I had to compare myself to someone in the NBA it'd be Marcus Smart. I'll play tough defense on anyone all game and could possibly light you up for about 20 pts one game but not surprising to have about 5 pts the next game

• Upvote 1

5'10 PG

Game rating: 9

Strengths: Great 3 point shooter, great vision, great passer, great defense, great handles

Weaknesses: Can't jump like I used to cause of a couple of serious ankle injuries and age (31 now)

Comparison: MJ lol I wish... seriously though probably Klay

I'm a *****ing baller son!!!

No but seriously,

6'0

Strengths: Shooting, defense, handles, court vision

Weaknesses: Height I guess but defense was intense so it made up for it.

It's hard for me to say who I was like. I studied MJ, Magic, Penny, Iverson, Kidd, Stockton, Nash, etc.

Favorite thing to do was to grab a board and run a break and throw some no look ooh and aww pass or cross ya up and get to the hole and find that cutter or open man with an no look or whatever I decided at the moment. Passing did more for me than score but I definitely could score/shoot. Just loved to pass. It was art to me.

Absolute pest on defense. Guarded 6'4-6'6 and make em earn their points thanks to lateral quickness and good fundamentals (arms out like your 7 foot). Helps my arms are ridiculously long for a 6 footer too.

Don't play anymore though. Got into weight training a long time ago and that's where I spend my time.

I don't play ball much anymore, but when I did:

5'6" PG-SG

Strengths:

Handles

Shooting

Strength

Defensive instincts

Weaknesses:

Short

Speed/Athleticism

Mentality

I was an absolute nightmare to try to guard one-on-one. I wasn't particularly fast end-to-end, but I can confidently say I had the best handles of anyone I've ever met, and I was great with changing direction and speed (really good body control). Mostly, though, there wasn't a shot I couldn't make. I was that guy draining 5 30-footers in a row in games until they started throwing doubles at me once I crossed half-court, then splitting said double and dropping 15-foot floaters. And if I got a shot up within 10 feet it was in, no matter how crazy the shot was.

Defensively, as long as you weren't an elite athlete, I was going to shut you down. If you were, I was determined to annoy the hell out of you, then wear you out on the other end. I was strong as hell. I used to switch onto centers in high school, 6'6" guys who thought they could post me up. I never got scored on in the post, because you just weren't getting deep position on me.

That all said, I had issues. I had trouble adjusting to organized ball, learning plays (that last part was just laziness). I never really learned how to pass effectively until after I stopped playing organized ball. I would pass too early, too late, or not at all. Mostly I didn't know how to play off the ball except to hunt for open threes. Defensively I struggled against guys with super-quick first steps, because I didn't have the length or speed to stay in front (I was terrific fundamentally, and I had a good quick shuffle, but it wasn't enough against super-quick PGs).

If I had to compare my game to someone, I'd say maybe a Jameer/Tony Parker hybrid.

Defensively, as long as you weren't an elite athlete, I was going to shut you down. If you were, I was determined to annoy the hell out of you

That sounds like me lol. I didn't have great athleticism but I had good body control and always put myself in good position to make it hard for them to score.

C'mon MagicMan there has to be someone in the NBA who reminds you of yourself.

Great thread idea!

My current game (if you would call it that anymore) is way different than it used to be. Age (33), extra weight, and multiple ankle injuries over time have turned me into a post-ish player as opposed to the primary ballhandler. So I would probably rate myself a 5 now based on what I used to be. But, I am a much smarter player now and can still take advantage of many situations and will still run the point if I'm playing with familiar people.

strengths: crossover-it could make me friends or enemies on new courts and would catch anyone off guard the first time-anyone. Now it doesn't get used too much. shooting-was rarely not the best shooter, that's still true today; length (for pg)-6'3" with 6'5.5" arm span; defense-length/effort went a long way for me, would get many shorter/faster pg's upset because I would let them run right past me then block/alter their shots over and over again and be able to reach their low crossover; rebounding-as a PG I usually was larger and able to get good position.

Passing was okay, I could make passes some couldn't due to size/vision but I wasn't the amateur Kidd or Stockton out there either.

Weaknesses: jumping ability-given my height I could dunk in high school, but not comfortably (outside of drills). I hurt my ankle badly once, then tweaked it several times afterward over the years and made me largely floorbound. I wasn't a high flier to begin with. speed-had to rely on changing speeds to create separation against tougher competition, though I wasn't slow either. I had long strides which helps with first step and post moves. I faced a lot of fast guards so I got handsy sometimes and would sometimes get in foul trouble. Weight-I am probably 230 now, which is a far cry from 6'3" 190lb at my athletic peak. I use my weight to bump around a bit and some of the younger players don't like that. I couldn't do it so much when I was younger because I was lanky.

Today's player I would liken myself to in my prime: Avery Bradley, but probably closer to Hot Sauce.

My current game is probably dreadful. I haven't played since May 2011 when I went up for a layup and got knocked sideways falling on my left arm breaking it in 2 places (wrist & elbow), I also dislocated my elbow and tried getting up using it causing more damage.

I always wanted to play PG but dribbling was never good enough unfortunately.

The last time I shot a basketball was in NBA city in Orlando in 2013. I do miss it though.

Youre in Vegas right? You still play? If so where?

Yes sir I live in Henderson. I stopped playing serious basketball last year but there are a lot of rec leagues to join. How old are you? Cause I played in a 30 and over league last season and I could get you hooked up with that if old enough. I played a couple of months ago with a couple of young teens and they gave me the business but I hit about five 3's before they started guarding me seriously