Soul Bro

Is It Time for Rob to Go?

Is It Time for Rob to Go?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is It Time for Rob to Go?

• Yes, I no longer have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • No, I still have confidence in him as the Magic GM
    • Unsure

Selected Ambient Works, the problem I have with your post is Henny and perhaps ownership have abandoned the "patient" strategy of a rebuild and are now in the win-now mode. Thus, the trades of Harris, Dipo and now benching of Gordon and Hezonja.

Selected Ambient Works, the problem I have with your post is Henny and perhaps ownership have abandoned the "patient" strategy of a rebuild and are now in the win-now mode. Thus, the trades of Harris, Dipo and now benching of Gordon and Hezonja.

The question of whose impatience has grown so quickly is something we can all guess but noone outside of ownership and management presumably will never know.

I agree, but that whole Skiles year was just a god damned waste. It's a season we'll never get back.

It's really possible that coming from nurturing environments like San Antonio and OKC, Hennigan likes the longer and more considered view and still took the Magic job as a foot in the door, despite knowing what lay ahead of him expectation wise. Are we doomed to failure like the Hornets fans under George Shinn?

That's my problem exactly. We drafted these guys then just kinda flipped back and forth on minutes and importance and now we're not even playing one. We've decided another needs to new role, new game, new position and now needs to be on the bench. The only guy who has survived this inconsistency is Payton which is ironic.

So looking at this list..

Danny Ainge Boston Celtics 2003-2004 14 So historical success and having pull Pierce got him through the half decade.

Jeff Bower Detroit Pistons 2014-2015 3 Dumars had a pretty long leash beforehand too.

R.C. Buford San Antonio Spurs 2002-2003 15 I don't think there needs to be a comment there.

Rich Cho Charlotte Hornets 2011-2012 6 Not that they're world beaters but that's been a hell of a slow burn too.

Tim Connelly Denver Nuggets 2013-2014 4 I don't think Denver are any better off either but it's not like the changes to staff they've made have helped bring anyone in.

Dell Demps New Orleans Pelicans 2010-2011 7 Should this guy have been fired now?

Andy Elisburg Miami Heat 2013-2014 4 Does this one even count?

Gar Forman Chicago Bulls 2009-2010 8 Well this guy already had Derrick Rose. But does their recent free agent "success" look like a sustainable future... or a winning present?

David Griffin Cleveland Cavaliers 2013-2014 4 Hard to judge a guy one way or the other when half of his clout is overshadowed by Lebron.

Ernie Grunfeld Washington Wizards 2003-2004 14 Judging by everyone's logic this guy should have been ousted years ago.

John Hammond Milwaukee Bucks 2008-2009 9 Taken them a long time to find a gem like Giannis under his watch hasn't it?

Rob Hennigan Orlando Magic 2012-2013 5

Mitch Kupchak Los Angeles Lakers 1994-1995 23 Without the Hollywood draw and the Kobe pull that Jerry West managed...

Scott Layden Minnesota Timberwolves 2015-2016 Guess this remains to be seen.

Dennis Lindsey Utah Jazz 2012-2013 5 They've been waiting since before he was hired to pull this core into the playoffs.

Herb Livsey Denver Nuggets 2016-2017 um

Sean Marks Brooklyn Nets 2015-2016 2 I think this guy is going to face similar but worse challenges. Would be hard to cut him off as done after 4 or 5 years with inheriting that s**tshow

Ryan McDonough Phoenix Suns 2013-2014 4 Same boat different name.

Steve Mills New York Knicks 2013-2014 4 Well this is kind of useless

Daryl Morey Houston Rockets 2007-2008 10 For all the stats and bravado I think we have the makings of a long term dud here. Unless his only goal is to turn Harden into Oscar Robertson. The Big O did a bit more winning though right?

Bob Myers Golden State Warriors 2012-2013 5 Good measuring stick number 2 out of 30

Donnie Nelson Dallas Mavericks 2002-2003 15 Dirk has lasted a while hasn't he. But waiting 10 years for a title from the same dude shows patience

Neil Olshey Portland Trail Blazers 2012-2013 5 Also a similar boat, with a slightly better crew. Or two better crewmen doing all the work.

Sam Presti Oklahoma City Thunder 2007-2008 10 Even with a tonne of lotto luck that took a while. Will they kick him to the curb if the Westbrook era fails sooner reather than later?

Kevin Pritchard Indiana Pacers 2012-2013 5 Inherited some good parts but under Bird

Pat Riley Miami Heat 1995-1996 22

Masai Ujiri Toronto Raptors 2013-2014 4 Good measuring stick no. 3 of 30

Chris Wallace Memphis Grizzlies 2007-2008 10 This guy already had a good longstanding name in Boston

Jeff Weltman Toronto Raptors 2016-2017 ??

Wes Wilcox Atlanta Hawks 2015-2016 2 What this guy will do if anything is in the making.

Dave Wohl Los Angeles Clippers 2014-2015 3 Does not count.

Bit of an odd list and yes plenty of Zeuss-ish owners and presidents amongst and RealGM seemed to have omitted Sacramento and Philly but their instability aren't going to win them any friends are they?

Why am I posting this? This shows a reasonable level of patience of tenure where circumstantially patience has paid off; or success has been the fruit of past endeavours (by other people a fair amount too). Do we want to can Hennigan only to find that Mario and Aaron and maybe Payton breakout and have great primes that can be coupled with a couple of our other acquisitions? Should those things be attributed to a future GM who just happens to be there? Does Dave Wohl have a hand in the Clippers this year? Is Scott Layden responsible for any upcoming Timberwolves success?

I'm going to hold to my personal quest to not call for his job until 25 games in. I can complain, foreshadow, reason out my frustrations, but until 25 games into this season I'm not calling for his job. So I'm not voting yet. But I've laid out my frustrations elsewhere. This team is a mess. This management group has built a roster full of pieces that don't add up to a winning basketball team, and have very little reason to hope for much better from the prospects we have. Virtually every pundit and analyst of NBA basketball writing or talking in the off-season expressed utter confusion and bewilderment at what Hennigan and co. were even trying to do. Now we look like one of the worst teams in basketball, despite the clear mandate in the off-season being to make the playoffs. I'm remaining patient, through gritted teeth, waiting for a miracle turn around... for ten more games. After that, if we still look this bad, I will be one of the loudest voices decrying Rob Hennigan as the biggest mistake this franchise has made since low-balling Shaq.

I'm going to hold to my personal quest to not call for his job until 25 games in. I can complain, foreshadow, reason out my frustrations, but until 25 games into this season I'm not calling for his job. So I'm not voting yet. But I've laid out my frustrations elsewhere. This team is a mess. This management group has built a roster full of pieces that don't add up to a winning basketball team, and have very little reason to hope for much better from the prospects we have. Virtually every pundit and analyst of NBA basketball writing or talking in the off-season expressed utter confusion and bewilderment at what Hennigan and co. were even trying to do. Now we look like one of the worst teams in basketball, despite the clear mandate in the off-season being to make the playoffs. I'm remaining patient, through gritted teeth, waiting for a miracle turn around... for ten more games. After that, if we still look this bad, I will be one of the loudest voices decrying Rob Hennigan as the biggest mistake this franchise has made since low-balling Shaq.

Surely the Grant Hill acquisition and the trades that brough in Arenas, JRich et al rank much higher.

Having said all of this stuff... they really need to make a move right now. They're probably getting laughed off the phone, but you'd REALLY hope they're making calls.

Having said all of this stuff... they really need to make a move right now. They're probably getting laughed off the phone, but you'd REALLY hope they're making calls.

I agree. They need to do something fast. I just hope Rob doesn't get screwed over.

I worry about some sort of Rudy Gay type trade.

Surely the Grant Hill acquisition and the trades that brough in Arenas, JRich et al rank much higher.

Nope. Not if this season doesn't turn around. The Grant Hill acquisition hampered our team from getting out of the first round of the playoffs, and then cost us McGrady after his contract hampered our ability to put a valid team around him. Very bad, but that acquisition was not without merit. We bet on what was a known commodity and failed due to horrible injury luck. The trades that brought in Arenas and JRich I'll say are close. They only outweigh Hennigan's mess, however, if you blame Hennigan's mess on the failure of that team - a MASSIVE stretch, considering the time Hennigan has been given to rebuild with nothing to show. The Arenas and JRich trades may have been the death knell for that squad, but that can only be responsible for the need to rebuild. How much of the rebuild failure is really on Otis, though? The contracts he had us into expired long ago. We've been out from under those contracts for a while, and the team should have been using the suck from those years under the aftermath of them to draft talent and prepare $$. Hennigan's big FA moves have been slightly overpaid solid bench players. His draft picks have not produced one player who looks like a future all-star. If this squad fails as hard as it appears they will, it looks like we are rebuilding again, which is likely another three-to-five year process, again. Again, if Hennigan can't turn this around quick, his hiring will have been the worst mistake this franchise has made since low-balling Shaq.

I agree. They need to do something fast. I just hope Rob doesn't get screwed over.

I worry about some sort of Rudy Gay type trade.

lol It wouldn't be great but it might get rid of the Jeff Green Starting / 'Pimp My Aaron Gordon into Paul George' thing that seems to be one of the major factors of our suckage.

Speaking of Paul George, if they're committed to that premise could Rudy Gay then become our Danny Granger to Gordon's George?

Not that I want to be the Pacers... like, ever.

Nope. Not if this season doesn't turn around. The Grant Hill acquisition hampered our team from getting out of the first round of the playoffs, and then cost us McGrady after his contract hampered our ability to put a valid team around him. Very bad, but that acquisition was not without merit. We bet on what was a known commodity and failed due to horrible injury luck. The trades that brought in Arenas and JRich I'll say are close. They only outweigh Hennigan's mess, however, if you blame Hennigan's mess on the failure of that team - a MASSIVE stretch, considering the time Hennigan has been given to rebuild with nothing to show. The Arenas and JRich trades may have been the death knell for that squad, but that can only be responsible for the need to rebuild. How much of the rebuild failure is really on Otis, though? The contracts he had us into expired long ago. We've been out from under those contracts for a while, and the team should have been using the suck from those years under the aftermath of them to draft talent and prepare $$. Hennigan's big FA moves have been slightly overpaid solid bench players. His draft picks have not produced one player who looks like a future all-star. If this squad fails as hard as it appears they will, it looks like we are rebuilding again, which is likely another three-to-five year process, again. Again, if Hennigan can't turn this around quick, his hiring will have been the worst mistake this franchise has made since low-balling Shaq.

Nah. You're just being myopic