Sign in to follow this  
jec

Gamethread: Magic @ Bulls 11/7/26

Is it by design that I've seen Serge back on D after a turnover several times this year and not even make an attempt to block the layup or are his 36 year old knees just too tired to try to make a block?

I was just using free throw rate. Its not necessarily a better stat.

Gotcha we ranked decently last year in those stats I'd say average to slightly above and I don't think many of us were very happy with our ability to get to the rim and convert with either fouls or points. This year we rank near the bottom.

I think it is vital that we either bring in a player that can get to the rim or change our strategy and have our current players get to the rim a bit more( Although I don't think we currently have players that can do that).

We need a practice where every player shoots until they make 100 shots from the 10 spots they are most likely to see the ball. And after that they must make 25 layups very Biyombo.

For the good of the team we need to play Green (possibly Hezonja) at the starting 3. We need Gordon's energy off the bench, and he can become Sixth Man versus bench players. He can also rebound Biyombo's blocks and put back his misses. He can be a PF and become a high flying Shawn Marion

Until Meeks proves he is ready, run Watson at PG and Augustin at his wannabe position SG. It will be a small ball unit with tons of energy. The threat of the 3 from our starting 3 will provide spacing as no team respects Gordon shooting 20% from deep.

Hold off on trades unless they will take Gordon and picks for an All-Star SG or SF (SF preferred). Explore trades when we can trade anyone. Maybe Green because he is expiring has some trade value or to dump a good young proven shooter, if we need to include picks go for it.

Looking like we are a .500 team that is hoping for a post-All-Star break run.

Or a .500 team who can grab a missing piece at the deadline. (hayward, George, or Cousins, are the dream acquisitions. Get rid of Ibaka if he doesn't shape up.

Looking like we are a .500 team that is hoping for a post-All-Star break run.

Or a .500 team who can grab a missing piece at the deadline. (hayward, George, or Cousins, are the dream acquisitions. Get rid of Ibaka if he doesn't shape up.

Trading Ibaka would be my dream scenario at this point. He looks so old out there! The fact that we traded 3 young pieces for him (including Oladipo) makes it even worse because I don't see us bringing him back next year after watching the first 7 games.

And here's the thing - it's not that he's lost a step or slower (though he is). It's that he doesn't look like he's giving max effort out there. This is why I love Biyombo, and still respect Payton and Gordon. You know those guys are giving it their all. Ibaka looks like he decides to rest himself far more often than I was expecting from him.

He was supposed to be the veteran leader on the court. You lead by example by being the guy who tries the hardest on the court. He's not that, and right now, I think our team may end up being best if we can get a different quality player for him at the deadline.

I mean there was an discrepancy but playing as soft as we did...

A foul is a foul regardless of effort. Several and-ones were missed when we were playing with effort. And when we gave effort on defense we had plenty of phantom calls and ticky tack fouls that weren't called the same for both teams.

Notice how scoring is up? Apparently we decided to make a defensive team the year the NBA decided to outlaw defense to get more scoring. Fouls are only called on made baskets and shot attempts by good actors who make free throws and All-Stars to discourage defense and raise scoring. You must have a scorer capable of 20ppg to be allowed to get to play defense. Teams who don't have this will not be given equal treatment because they are not good enough at scoring and have no players that generate jersey sales.

A foul is a foul regardless of effort. Several and-ones were missed when we were playing with effort. And when we gave effort on defense we had plenty of phantom calls and ticky tack fouls that weren't called the same for both teams.

Notice how scoring is up? Apparently we decided to make a defensive team the year the NBA decided to outlaw defense to get more scoring. Fouls are only called on made baskets and shot attempts by good actors who make free throws and All-Stars to discourage defense and raise scoring. You must have a scorer capable of 20ppg to be allowed to get to play defense. Teams who don't have this will not be given equal treatment because they are not good enough at scoring and have no players that generate jersey sales.

Yeah... I rolled my eyes so far back in my head they almost got stuck when Jeff Turner said the foul calls come back to effort bs quote. That quote was obviously made by a referee. Every time you see a game with a free throw discrepancy of 31 to 6 (like ours tonight) think of Tim Donaghy and his book.The NBA referees care who wins... they always have and they always will

Is it by design that I've seen Serge back on D after a turnover several times this year and not even make an attempt to block the layup or are his 36 year old knees just too tired to try to make a block?

He sure looks like he is mid 30's with the fluctuating effort and energy.

Performance is one thing, but not giving max effort is another. He seems to forget that we are only giving him extra shots in exchange for good defense.

No wonder OKC ditched him for our best effort player and one of the best perimeter defenders in the league.

I'm afraid Rob forgot in a league that promotes perimeter scoring, perimeter defense is more at a premium than interior defense. We could have gotten this defense from Dedmon and let Oladipo do more scoring than we are.

Rob gives up and changes course to easy. First Harkless, then hiring Skiles for a playoff run when there were stars available in last years draft, Harris, Oladipo who became a great defender, and Dedmon who was developing and a cheap shot blocker. If he stayed the course we'd be a better team this year.

Payton is useless against a team that clogs the paint defensively.

Ibaka and Vucevic are too similar on offense, barely get close to the rim.

Gordon can't really penetrate.

Fournier is the only well rounded offensive player and we'll look good when Vuc is hitting long 2s, but our starting lineup is flawed in a huge way.

I felt physically ill after we just gave up the ball, after cutting the lead to 5. We went 7+ minutes with only 1 field goal after that. Embarrassing all the way.

I agree but there is something to playing hard that changes the perception of how fouls are called. When your not playing hard it looks intentional and obvious. When your playing hard refs tend to perceive it as just competitive basketball or they miss it entirely.

Payton is useless against a team that clogs the paint defensively.

Ibaka and Vucevic are too similar on offense, barely get close to the rim.

Gordon can't really penetrate.

Fournier is the only well rounded offensive player and we'll look good when Vuc is hitting long 2s, but our starting lineup is flawed in a huge way.

I felt physically ill after we just gave up the ball, after cutting the lead to 5. We went 7+ minutes with only 1 field goal after that. Embarrassing all the way.

Yeah I think the Payton experiment needs to be reevaluated immediately and recoursed.

AG at PF, he was able to get to the rim more it seemed. Don't have the stats to prove that but logically he's faster than most PF's, good rebounder and shot blocker, now can hit the 3, end this SF stufff and play him the way Dallas played Marion at the 4.