Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Probably too early to tell but the 2nd half of the season should provide the answer.

If he does indeed decline again then we in fact know he's probably never going to make it where we want him to be

FRONTCOURT: C

Serge Ibaka has provided some punch, though he isn’t the force he once was around the rim. They could use more from both Nik Vucevic and Bismack Biyombo. Aaron Gordon is still working through his transition to small forward.

BACKCOURT: C

Evan Fournier leads the Magic in scoring but hasn’t proved to be the game changer some expected when he signed that big deal over the summer. Elfrid Payton has played some of the best basketball of his career this season.

DEFENSE: D-

For a team with two should-be-elite rim protectors in Ibaka and Biyombo, and plenty of length and athleticism up and down the roster, they just haven’t performed at a consistently high level this season.

BENCH: C

Jodie Meeks and Jeff Green have been solid. And the always reliable D.J. Augustin remains one of the best plug-and-play journeyman point guards in the league. Mario Hezonjna’s absence from the rotation has been a bit of a head scratcher.

COACHING: D

Frank Vogel was lauded in Indiana for his ability to tinker with the chemistry of his crew and coax them into playing at a high level defensively. But he hasn’t found the same touch with this Magic group, at least not yet. He stepped into a situation that was not going to be easy to navigate and simply needs more time.

OVERALL GRADE: D

Consistency has evaded the Magic through the first half of the season and it could be an issue all season, if they can’t figure out the right roles a roster that lacks ideal balance. Serge Ibaka’s effectiveness alongside Kevin Durant and Russell Westbrook in Oklahoma City inflated his value, to a degree. The same can be said of Biyombo, who played a very specific role in Toronto. Vucevic has taken a step back in his development with the addition of two big men that chew up minutes and the Magic are still grooming Payton for what they hope is a starring role.

The real mystery is what sort of progress Gordon makes in his role at small forward. He’s got everything you want from a physical standpoint but has never played extended minutes on the perimeter until now. He’s the Magic’s best bet for a potential All-Star, even if he’s playing a bit out of position right now.

http://www.nba.com/r...ason/2017/magic

Calling Jeff Green solid with win shares per 48 of .016 and VORP of -.7 made me lol.

If he does indeed decline again then we in fact know he's probably never going to make it where we want him to be

yeah. fwiw he had a 60/40 split last year of productive to unproductive. So far this year he has a 60/40 split of productive to unproductive.

third year mike conley was 66/34

Fourth year mike conley was 76.5/24.5

first year full time starter George hill was 75/25

First year starter jeff Teague was 67/33 the following year he was 71/29

second year Kemba Walker was 85/15

Third year jrue holiday was 66/34 fourth year was 82/18

to get to 66% for the season, Payton would need to hit 54 productive games assuming 82 total games. so he'd have to go 28-11 going forward.

Looks like both Biyombo and Davis will play tonight. I have to say I really cringed when I watched the play where Biyombo got injured, it looked like his leg bent under him at an extreme angle, but somehow it looked much worse than it actually turned out to be.

yeah. fwiw he had a 60/40 split last year of productive to unproductive. So far this year he has a 60/40 split of productive to unproductive.

third year mike conley was 66/34

Fourth year mike conley was 76.5/24.5

first year full time starter George hill was 75/25

First year starter jeff Teague was 67/33 the following year he was 71/29

second year Kemba Walker was 85/15

Third year jrue holiday was 66/34 fourth year was 82/18

to get to 66% for the season, Payton would need to hit 54 productive games assuming 82 total games. so he'd have to go 28-11 going forward.

I laud your effort to find these stats, but they seem arbitrary and not really indicative of anything tangible. Even if Payton hits another rough patch this season I'm not sure it has any damning effect on his future as an NBA point guard. It's just another excuse to write off Payton as a fanbase (again), which has already happened a couple times.

I laud your effort to find these stats, but they seem arbitrary and not really indicative of anything tangible. Even if Payton hits another rough patch this season I'm not sure it has any damning effect on his future as an NBA point guard. It's just another excuse to write off Payton as a fanbase (again), which has already happened a couple times.

I think the question isn't is payton an NBA point guard, but is he a quality starting pg.

I'm searching for something objective to separate starter Payton from future backup Payton. I'm trying to find some reason to believe he's on the Mike Conley path vs the ramon sessions path.