Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Payton is slowly starting to not be an issue. if he finishes the year ok what do we do to improve?

We draft BPA, which most likely will be a PG. I still have little faith that Payton can be a consistently good PG.

We draft BPA, which most likely will be a PG. I still have little faith that Payton can be a consistently good PG.

well i mean this hypothetical scenario would include him being consistent over the next 40 games.

this might damage the tank

John Reid ‏@JohnReid64 · 1h1 hour ago

Anthony Davis officially listed as questionable to play against the Magic on Wednesday with a left hip contusion, left thumb sprain

Well ****...we have to still go PG then. See if whoever we draft develops and has a higher cieling.

2nd year hope to start the younger guy and trade or put payton in a reserve roll.

No you don't. That's a waste of assets, unless that point guard stands a very good chance of being better than Payton. Either way, you trade the pick for someone else's 'vet' sg ( a good one that fits) or you trade Payton for whatever then draft that PG that stands to be better than Payton straight away. PG's notoriously don't come into their own until their third season, our fanbase doesn't understand this so I would rather just stick with the pg we've developed instead of starting over and having to listen to the lunacy of this board all over again.

No you don't. That's a waste of assets, unless that point guard stands a very good chance of being better than Payton. Either way, you trade the pick for someone else's 'vet' sg ( a good one that fits) or you trade Payton for whatever then draft that PG that stands to be better than Payton straight away. PG's notoriously don't come into their own until their third season, our fanbase doesn't understand this so I would rather just stick with the pg we've developed instead of starting over and having to listen to the lunacy of this board all over again.

yeah, it really depends on the point guard.

Fultz, Ball, Smith give you different looks and higher ceilings at point guard.

Fox and Ntilikina don't really do much assuming payton continues the status quo he established over the last 22 games or so.

Look at Kris Dunn who was supposed to be a plug and play guy as he's turning 23 this year. Unless you're definitely getting an upgrade or a significantly different look, why dump the guy you've developed?

yeah, it really depends on the point guard.

Fultz, Ball, Smith give you different looks and higher ceilings at point guard.

Fox and Ntilikina don't really do much assuming payton continues the status quo he established over the last 22 games or so.

Look at Kris Dunn who was supposed to be a plug and play guy as he's turning 23 this year. Unless you're definitely getting an upgrade or a significantly different look, why dump the guy you've developed?

Because he's been the definition of moody and wildly inconsistent since we drafted him. I don't necessarily want to dump Payton, but he's got a lot to prove in leading this team into next year.

I said we have to go PG because everyone is is excited about the number of PGs in this draft. I was basing "have to" on everyones evaluation over the available PGs.

If they are as good as they seem to be then yes we "have to".

EDIT: From my understanding PG would likely be BPA at our hypothetical draft position.

I said we have to go PG because everyone is is excited about the number of PGs in this draft. I was basing "have to" on everyones evaluation over the available PGs.

If they are as good as they seem to be then yes we "have to".

EDIT: From my understanding PG would likely be BPA at our hypothetical draft position.

I better understand where you were coming from.

At our current hypothetical draft location (9) I would say the current BPA's are a PF or SF. There are a bunch of pg's ahead of #9, but we are already in a league full of good pg's. That's the deepest position in the league right now. I only think Fultz and Ball have for sure higher ceilings than Payton, not sold on the others yet (Smith included).

Edit: the reason I mention this is because if we were truly interested in upgrading our pg spot then we could trade our pick for an already league-capable pg that perhaps have already gotten past the development phase of pg growth.

They had Dunn at 3 last year and Payton as high as 8. I think they have a blind spot for guards who can get to the rim in college but will likely struggle in the pros due to faster, bigger, and longer defenders.

Your honest answer to improve this team is to draft a guy who is currently shooting 13% from 3 and whose biggest weakness is "Creating Space" after 3 years with Payton?

My issue with Payton is consistency, not necessarily skill set. If we got good Payton month to month, we'd be set. I'd be fine with any of the top players in this draft, including Fox. So much depends on what trades we make over the next month.