Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Well Vogel must have felt the same because dude didn't even come back in.

And as far as his shot, I am talking overall, not just yesterday. I can see how my wording was confusing though.

The thing about Mario is some believe he's a Klay Thompson or JJ Redick type. He can at times but he's more of a volume scorer.

I thought he did good last night. Didn't make any defensive mistakes, didn't push the issue, played within the system and knocked down a three. Think it was more of matchups than Mario. Mario isn't effective guarding little fast scoring combo guards.

Well Vogel must have felt the same because dude didn't even come back in.

And as far as his shot, I am talking overall, not just yesterday. I can see how my wording was confusing though.

Mario played fine. I think him not going back in was more "we need to find more minutes for Augustin as he was on fire in the third" than "we can't get Mario back in"

I mean Mario looked nervous and i kept waiting for his big mistake but it never really happened. He was a little slow on rotations. And it looked like he was hesitant to shoot it until he knocked down that three.

He helps on defense a little too much or he's glued to his man. Can't find that happy medium.

But those are all things that will calm down with more meaningful minutes

I mean Mario looked nervous and i kept waiting for his big mistake but it never really happened. He was a little slow on rotations. And it looked like he was hesitant to shoot it until he knocked down that three.

He helps on defense a little too much or he's glued to his man. Can't find that happy medium.

But those are all things that will calm down with more meaningful minutes

Yeah and he catches himself quick enough to where it doesn't result into a mistake.

The thing about Mario is some believe he's a Klay Thompson or JJ Redick type. He can at times but he's more of a volume scorer.

What are you seeing that he can?

Australian poster here, there are nuances between the NBA and Aussie game that I'm wondering is the reason for my below observation, so maybe you guys could help me here.

RE: Mario

When he's on, he just stands stationary, never seems to move unless something (rarely) is specifically run for him. Looks lazy to me, but is this just by design?

JJ, once the trust was there, was constantly moving ,baseline cuts, running through multiple screens to get open.

Is what Mario doing the coaches decision or would Mario have the ability to move a bit more if he chose to?

If its a coaches decision do posters see him taking on a bit more of a JJ role if/when he does earn the trust of the coaching staff? Does he have the engine to do this?

RE: Payton

Seems to me that when he came into the league he was a tenacious one on one defender. But under Skiles (to my eye anyway) his entire defensive scheme was to have the PG simply heard the offensive PG baseline into rim protecting help. Even though we had no rim protector! This seemed to take the spark right out of Payton.

Seems now, Payton has more freedom to pick up the one on one defense a bit more, but still on occasions falls back into old Skiles habits. Would this be an accurate observation, or am I well off the mark?

Australian poster here, there are nuances between the NBA and Aussie game that I'm wondering is the reason for my below observation, so maybe you guys could help me here.

When he's on, he just stands stationary, never seems to move unless something (rarely) is specifically run for him. Looks lazy to me, but is this just by design?

JJ, once the trust was there, was constantly moving ,baseline cuts, running through multiple screens to get open.

Is what Mario doing the coaches decision or would Mario have the ability to move a bit more if he chose to?

If its a coaches decision do posters see him taking on a bit more of a JJ role if/when he does earn the trust of the coaching staff? Does he have the engine to do this?

Seems to me that when he came into the league he was a tenacious one on one defender. But under Skiles (to my eye anyway) his entire defensive scheme was to have the PG simply heard the offensive PG baseline into rim protecting help. Even though we had no rim protector! This seemed to take the spark right out of Payton.

Seems now, Payton has more freedom to pick up the one on one defense a bit more, but still on occasions falls back into old Skiles habits. Would this be an accurate observation, or am I well off the mark?

For Mario the basic answer is it's how plays are designed. If there are plays made for him to get more touches like JJ then you'd see him running around me. He does tend to be a little more stationary then normal

Our offense is a drag to watch. Very little player and ball movement. The only play they know is the Payton kick out to Vuc