Fultz4thewin

2016-2017 Season Discussion Thread

Yup. Guess you just need to be experienced not playing D

Yep. I mean I bought this explanation 100% when we had a top defense. Doesn't make sense now though.

*except if you're green, rudez, or Augustin. And Payton and Vucevic most of the time. And Fournier.

Problem is Mario's advanced net rating is -15.1 this year. That's got to be one of the worst in the league. Obviously, I want to see him get consistent minutes, but he's been much worse this year than last.

Why not? The Bulls will get a young piece in Vuc and Biyombo plus much needed size. Green was a throw in.

Vuc is 26 and Biz isn't playing up to his contract at the moment. Green is green.

Any deal for Butler starts with AG and very likely a first rounder.

Problem is Mario's advanced net rating is -15.1 this year. That's got to be one of the worst in the league. Obviously, I want to see him get consistent minutes, but he's been much worse this year than last.

That's hampered by garbage time though. If you go in for 1 minute hit a 2 and the other team hits a 3 you're -100 for that game. You know what his net rating was last year? -1.4. Post all star? +0.1.

When Augustin is a -11 and still getting big playtime.

My argument isn't ever going to be hezonja has played well this season and would be great if he played more. It's "absent quality players in the rotation above him, doesn't it make sense to invest in the young player now and have him fix his totally fixable mistakes rather than play the older players and get the exact same results? "

I think we can all just agree this team is no good, we want a high draft pick, so playing Mario more minutes essentially 1) Helps the tank and 2) Gets him needed minutes.

Mario has been an absolute train wreck this year but I can't see why anyone would be against him playing more at this point. It can only help him in the long run because having a top 5 pick collect dust on the bench when we're already a terrible team is doing nothing.

I don't think anyone is saying "Mario should play more he will turn this team around".

• Upvote 1

I think we can all just agree this team is no good, we want a high draft pick, so playing Mario more minutes essentially 1) Helps the tank and 2) Gets him needed minutes.

Mario has been an absolute train wreck this year but I can't see why anyone would be against him playing more at this point. It can only help him in the long run because having a top 5 pick collect dust on the bench when we're already a terrible team is doing nothing.

I don't think anyone is saying "Mario should play more he will turn this team around".

At this stage I think we are playing vets for the sake of playing them; after the trade deadline Mario well get more burn.

Agreed. I always felt we'd give him more time once playoffs became very unlikely. And I think we're there.

That's hampered by garbage time though. If you go in for 1 minute hit a 2 and the other team hits a 3 you're -100 for that game. You know what his net rating was last year? -1.4. Post all star? +0.1.

When Augustin is a -11 and still getting big playtime.

My argument isn't ever going to be hezonja has played well this season and would be great if he played more. It's "absent quality players in the rotation above him, doesn't it make sense to invest in the young player now and have him fix his totally fixable mistakes rather than play the older players and get the exact same results? "

I love that last line!

Let’s be honest: it requires real straining to get excited about the Magic these days. They’re headed for their fifth straight lottery trip. Their offense is the worst outside Philadelphia. Their GM, Rob Hennigan, recently pointed out, in painstaking fashion, this season’s many, many shortcoming and disappointments. Their big offseason addition, Serge Ibaka, hasn’t made much difference and has every reason to leave next summer, if he’s not traded before then. Their point guard, Elfrid Payton, is cursed with a broken jumper. And their roster manages to be both relatively young and lacking in much promise.

However, Gordon still feels like the exception, if only because he boasts irrepressible athletic gifts. Go ahead and play him out of position, move him in and out of the starting lineup and stockpile multiple useless veterans to marginalize his role. Go ahead and play at a slow pace and ask him to man the perimeter and shoot threes. (The Magic have done all of these things, by the way.) At 21, the 2014 No. 3 pick remains young enough and tantalizing enough to inspire genuine hope. But the clock is starting to tick.

Orlando is a team to watch over the next few weeks because its deadline activity or inactivity will have a direct bearing on Gordon’s role. Clear out some of the extraneous frontcourt pieces? Bingo, Gordon may have a chance to get back into the paint, find some second-chance opportunities and mold himself into a big who applies constant pressure to defenses with his energy. Keep plugging ahead with the same mish-mashed roster? Gordon and his representatives may start to wonder if there are greener pastures out there for him given Orlando’s muddled direction and cramped spacing. Tobias Harris, Channing Frye, Victor Oladipo and Moe Harkless have all fared pretty well since being moved by the Magic in recent years. Wouldn’t Gordon almost definitely find more success on a team that had more shooters and/or played faster? Well, that describes most of the other teams in the league.

The best-case scenario for both the Magic and Gordon would be to trade as many players as necessary at the deadline so that he can play the balance of the season as a full-time four. Orlando shouldn’t be willing to settle for the idea that Gordon is making good progress as a perimeter defender and that maybe his offense will come along way down the line. He came into the league at an extraordinarily young age, but this is year three.

http://www.si.com/nb...on-negotiations