Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. It would be good for the Magic and it would be good for FSU if Isaac became a star, but I just don't see it. We already went over how timid he is, he also can't create his own shot, can't create for others, and will only be able to play the 3 at the next level.

If his shooting improves, he's a taller Ariza. If it doesn't, he's a taller Harkless.

I hope I'm wrong, I really do. It would be good for the Magic and it would be good for FSU if Isaac became a star, but I just don't see it. We already went over how timid he is, he also can't create his own shot, can't create for others, and will only be able to play the 3 at the next level.

If his shooting improves, he's a taller Ariza. If it doesn't, he's a taller Harkless.

eh, your concern is in the wrong place. He's not really ariza or harkless because of his physical tools.

He's ariza or harkless on offense but some weird nerlens noel potential guy on defense. That's going to be valuable no matter what.

I'm pretty confident we're never going to regret drafting Isaac just on his gross value. But it's still my impression that we're going to regret not drafting smith or monk.

I'm not going to say he's an all star. That's premature and that's really up to him but

can't create his own shot? Harkless on offense?

Man...

I'm not going to say he's an all star. That's premature and that's really up to him but

can't create his own shot? Harkless on offense?

Man...

I mean, you have high school tape showing he can dribble, so that changes everything.

Go look at Harkless' high school tape. Makes him look like Paul George too. Bringing the ball up, shooting threes off screens, Running the pick and roll.

See

this is one game

I mean, you have high school tape showing he can dribble, so that changes everything.

Go look at Harkless' high school tape. Makes him look like Paul George too. Bringing the ball up, shooting threes off screens, Running the pick and roll.

Just saw the vid you posted.

Harkless pulled some basic ass stuff there.

Isaac is far more advanced with the ball. Far more advanced moving without the ball.

Harkless shot 21% from 3's. He took more than half of his shots at the rim. Harkless knock was his offensive versatility.

It's an horrible comp

See

this is one game

Issac will prove to be the best Magic draft pick since Dwight Howard.

My biggest concern is how he will fit next to AG playing the 3&4 together. I think our best bet might actually be a small ball lineup of Payton/Ross/Fournier/Issac/AG

Or substitute Mario in at the 1 or 2. Not saying permatley but I wanna see that lineup for stretches.

Isaac made 74 shots at the rim last year

36 were assisted

27 were put backs

so only 11 were created.

Isaac made 25 two point jumpers

9 were assisted

so only 16 were created

Isaac made 31 threes

25 were assisted

so only 6 were created.

Isaac created 33 shots last year. Isaac played in 32 games.

Isaac made 74 shots at the rim last year

36 were assisted

27 were put backs

so only 11 were created.

Isaac made 25 two point jumpers

9 were assisted

so only 16 were created

Isaac made 31 threes

25 were assisted

so only 6 were created.

Isaac created 33 shots last year. Isaac played in 32 games.

You don't believe in context do you?

You don't believe in context do you?

you don't believe in context. You cant argue that not doing something in college is evidence that he'll be great at it in the pros. it makes no sense. If high school tape meant anything, Dante Exum would have been a star.

Players show skills all the time in high school that don't develop in the pros because they are performing those skills against lesser competition.

• Upvote 1

I hope the folks that are worried about Isaac's college demeanor translating directly to the team would have been equally concerned with DSJ's "I'm going to quit on my team because they're terrible" demeanor translating as well if he had wound up in the situation he would have on this team.

you don't believe in context. You cant argue that not doing something in college is evidence that he'll be great at it in the pros. it makes no sense. If high school tape meant anything, Dante Exum would have been a star.

Players show skills all the time in high school that don't develop in the pros because they are performing those skills against lesser competition.

False. It's just you're equation is missing variables.

I saw Exum and immediately said I'm not buying it. You're looking this with some analytics/stats and not with your eyes and other variables.

Harkless equation- Never was a 6'3 pg. Defended 2, 3, 4, and 5's. At St John's he shot 21% from 3's and 67% from free throws as a freshman. Eye test, can do basic crossovers and basic perimeter things that are usually taught and executed in JV high school. Stuff that most players can pull off half asleep. Didn't really progress in that regard in college hence why he played more as a 4-5 in college. Used his athleticism and length to slash but against more skilled players, looked underdeveloped. Scouts never praised his offensive ability, shooting, or handles. Actually his knock was how raw he was on offense.

Isaac-Was a guard up to his junior year until he sprouted 6-7 inches. That means he developed guard like instincts and if you ever played point like I did, you'd know that's not something every player can just develop. Shot 35% from 3's and 79% from free throws as a freshman. Eye test: A lot more refined with the ball. Not anything that's on par with Iverson but definitely fluid and impressive for someone who's 6'10-7'0. That one high school clip where he pulls off two crossovers on the same possession alone makes the Harkless comp look comical. It's not just that he did it, it's how fluid it was. Harkless looks mechanical.

Scouts praised him for his offensive versatility and over the last few days I've seen video where people more credible than you or I, have gone into how well he handles the ball and his instincts on offense.

I hope the folks that are worried about Isaac's college demeanor translating directly to the team would have been equally concerned with DSJ's "I'm going to quit on my team because they're terrible" demeanor translating as well if he had wound up in the situation he would have on this team.

yes. that's a reasonable concern with him. The argument in smith's favor was his ability to get to the rim and hit big shots is worth the risk of his attitude issues. So it was basically (what he was on the court)+(nba spacing)>(potential attitude issues in light of the other problems at NC State).

With Isaac I'm considering him the same way.