Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

Perhaps Payton's most attractive and likely also his most NBA-ready skill is his defense. He takes great pride in his work here, showing a high intensity level and extremely quick feet laterally, which allow him to get over the top of screens, and also stay in front of opponents on the perimeter. - Source: http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Elfrid-Payton-41413/ ©DraftExpress

...Payton is an elite defender at the point guard position, with his extremely long reach (6’7″ wingspan) and excellent quickness and agility. He averaged 2.4 steals per game over the last two seasons...

...Payton is a very good on-ball defender, positioning himself well between his man and the basket, and having excellent lateral movement, even over longer distances... He is an active defender, often coming out to defend his man near the half-court line to force them into decisions quickly... Payton is a pest on defense, able to pressure the ball or contain his man, and his lateral movement and reaction time is very strong...

We will see how Fox does over 82 games against much better competiton.

Really hope we are taking a long, hard look at Ntilikina

the last two foreign prospects that I scouted using almost exclusively U18 tape aren't doing so hot. not sure why Ntilikina is going to be different. Especially considering the gap between Strasbourg and Real Madrid is pretty large.

• Upvote 1

1:50 was a one dribble pull up with the defender sagging off the three point line.

2:25 very good example

3:30 couple crossovers while standing still. not really a functional use of dribbling. same problem we have with Gordon constantly.

4:05 dribbled to a spot on the elbow. lost dribble. took jumper

4:33 this is my example of him driving on a late closeout. vucevic has done this a few times. not really high level.

4:40 this is a jab step single dribble step to the side jumper. not really ball skills.

2:25 is the only outlier. the rest aren't much different than this

Dude...

1:50

Rewind to 1:40. Grabs a board. Brings the ball up. Sets up with a hesitation dribble and pulls up for a 3. That's from a guy who's probably going to be 7 feet when it's all said and done. Special part of that clip, he went from dribbling high like a guard would bringing the ball up to a low dribble like one is about create on offense.

3:30

Standing still? He moved right then left which is how you set up for a crossover and yeah he lost the ball for a sec (like that's never happened before to anyone) he was a about to break his mans ankles. He still create space and pulled up, and made it, like a guard. AG looks robotic and couldn't hit that pull up consistently.

4:05

He didn't lose the ball. He had two defenders on him and he dribbled behind his legs as one defender was trying to steal the ball, the other went back to the paint, and he pulled up on another who was trying to block his shot.

4:33 Yeah except Vuc doesn't throw a hesitation jab step there and does a behind the back dribble on two defenders or splits a double like a guard. Stop with the Vuch stuff.

4:40

No. It's offensive skills.

That Patterson clip is nothing like those. He has space. Isaac is creating space. There's a lot of little things your not seeing which makes your assessment way too generalized.

what you're looking for with functional ball handling is stuff like this:

its actually something Gordon has had a lot of trouble with too. He can handle in transition. he can dance with the ball. but he can't create space with his dribble other than straight lines to the basket at then uses his jump distance and speed into the jump to beat guys.

Isaac's dribble isn't functional. or at least he's not parlaying it into something on the court.

How you choose that clip and downplay mine, is disappointing. Giannis basically straight lined it to the basket. Which is what you said Isaac does which isn't true at all.

Every one of the clips I posted shows Isaac creating space naturally and finishing unlike AG who looks unnatural.

LOL I hope not. That's atrocious for a projected top 7 pick

They're nothing alike. They're both tall, rebounds, blocks shots, hits 3's. It's a lazy assessment. Isaac has more skills.

The question is can he use the skills with more usage and how much better can he get?

Dude...

1:50

Rewind to 1:40. Grabs a board. Brings the ball up. Sets up with a hesitation dribble and pulls up for a 3. That's from a guy who's probably going to be 7 feet when it's all said and done. Special part of that clip, he went from dribbling high like a guard would bringing the ball up to a low dribble like one is about create on offense.

3:30

Standing still? He moved right then left which is how you set up for a crossover and yeah he lost the ball for a sec (like that's never happened before to anyone) he was a about to break his mans ankles. He still create space and pulled up, and made it, like a guard. AG looks robotic and couldn't hit that pull up consistently.

4:05

He didn't lose the ball. He had two defenders on him and he dribbled behind his legs as one defender was trying to steal the ball, the other went back to the paint, and he pulled up on another who was trying to block his shot.

4:33 Yeah except Vuc doesn't throw a hesitation jab step there and does a behind the back dribble on two defenders or splits a double like a guard. Stop with the Vuch stuff.

4:40

No. It's offensive skills.

That Patterson clip is nothing like those. He has space. Isaac is creating space. There's a lot of little things your not seeing which makes your assessment way too generalized.

your bar for ball skills is significantly lower than what it should be. I mean Shumpert does many of these things.

Buddies! As you know I have a new project on the internet and I made a video about tomorrow's NBA Draft.

I would love it if you took some time from work to check it out and maybe share with your friends :D

Feedback is also very much appreciated

The link is below:

• Upvote 1

your bar for ball skills is significantly lower than what it should be. I mean Shumpert does many of these things.

Was thinking the same about you.

I was trying not only to show balll skills (2:25 shows it) but offensive skills period because your comment on him being only a straight line driver is terribly inaccurate.

Shumpert isn't going to be 7 feet tall pulling up from 3 and mid range.

payton was never fast. payton was always quick. different things. Fox is fast.

Idk if he was fast or not. I didnt see him playing in college. I go with what people said of him pre-draft.

The same goes with Fox.

Now, I do like Fox. But Just as much I liked Payton when we drafted him. Reason why I am not as excited with fox.