Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

He has improved his overall offensive repertoire slightly since coming into the league, sure, but that's it. The stats you mention in addition are a byproduct of just being on the floor more and taking more shots. It might be 2017 but what I said was still correct and doesn't take away from the point.

The notion that Payton can't play D is either false or taken completely out of context. If he truly can't play D then neither can AG, because he's no worse than AG, adjusted for position. If Payton somehow became a 38% + 3pt shooter then he would probably be an allstar. The cognitive dissonance of this board disallows AG's production to be effectively compared to that of Payton or any other situation based in reality really. One gets praise for being elite the other gets offered up in exchange for career backups.

Yes. Gordon playing great defense against the league's best offensive players is the same as Payton getting burned regularly.

Yes. Gordon playing great defense against the league's best offensive players is the same as Payton getting burned regularly.

Lmao

I don't see how one can even argue that Payton's defense is actually any good. He's getting fooled because Payton gambles for steals. That's not what good defense is.

and nobody is saying Payton hasn't improved. They're dubious of betting on a point guard that can't play defense and can't shoot as it appears you need your point guard to do one of those things to win.

Not to mention the lack of fire dude has from game to game. Doesn't really give a crap about wanting to compete in every game. Sure, some games he seems fired up, but it doesn't seem to carry over to the next.

But hey, don't take my word for it.

bad defense. Gives Tyler Johnson a lane to the basket as a part of his career high 32 points

career high 52 for John wall. Payton probably responsible for 35 points there. Watch in amazement as he never figures out how to navigate a screen.

career high 57 for Westbrook. Payton responsible for at least 30 but i didn't get every shot in the highlight.

lin 32 points. Payton only responsible for 15 but there's a lot of examples of Payton losing track of his man off ball and generally being out of position

More to cone after i get out of this call

I'm not seeing the stats to back up your argument unless you mean post all star is his benchmark.

That's what i mean

Ok. I mean I think you can make that argument, but again I'd be somewhat careful about how you interpret performance at that point in the season, because there are a substantial fraction of the games that neither team cares about. It's sort of the "garbage time" for the season.

Lmao

I don't see how one can even argue that Payton's defense is actually any good. He's getting fooled because Payton gambles for steals. That's not what good defense is.

Reading comprehension is your friend. The statement was that if EP's defense is bad, so is AG's because they are statistically the same.

@P4TW, spare me the clips of EP being burned on D. They exist for everyone. Everyone gets burned. It wasn't the point, I never said he was a GOOD defender.

Reading comprehension is your friend. The statement was that if EP's defense is bad, so is AG's because they are statistically the same.

@P4TW, spare me the clips of EP being burned on D. They exist for everyone. Everyone gets burned. It wasn't the point, I never said he was a GOOD defender.

How are they statistically the same? I don't think Payton is as bad as P4TW thinks he is on defense, but Aaron Gordon has held opposing players about 2.6% below their average, while Payton has let opposing players shot above their average.

How are they statistically the same? I don't think Payton is as bad as P4TW thinks he is on defense, but Aaron Gordon has held opposing players about 2.6% below their average, while Payton has let opposing players shot above their average.

Our major problem is. Ot individual defense. It is team defense. The rotation is extremely poor. Payton has the ability to be a good defender in this league if he put the effort.

In my opinion, He is average among all point guards. In fact there are not many good defensive PG in this league. C. Paul, Wall, Conley and Hill are in my opionion the top 4 defenders in the position. After that maybe Atlanta and OkC but I cant come up with anything more.

Our major problem is. Ot individual defense. It is team defense. The rotation is extremely poor. Payton has the ability to be a good defender in this league if he put the effort.

In my opinion, He is average among all point guards. In fact there are not many good defensive PG in this league. C. Paul, Wall, Conley and Hill are in my opionion the top 4 defenders in the position. After that maybe Atlanta and OkC but I cant come up with anything more.

OKC? Westbrook is a worse defender than Payton.

More to cone after i get out of this call

Must be a long call.