Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

You guys think the push to dump draft picks is because we're tanking??? That makes no sense. When you tank you're developing rookies. If we were tanking we'd dump the vets for more young players to take chances on.

We took a good defensive role player that can play now number one. We're not tanking. We're still playoffs or bust.

You know what playoff teams don't do? Build their offense around rookies.

I don't think we're tanking but Isaac is not a 2018 playoffs or bust pick. There used to be some middle ground in the NBA between tanking and doling out bad contracts to be a middle of the road NBA team. I think that's where Hammond and Weltman will put us next season.

I don't think we're tanking but Isaac is not a 2018 playoffs or bust pick. There used to be some middle ground in the NBA between tanking and doling out bad contracts to be a middle of the road NBA team. I think that's where Hammond and Weltman will put us next season.

He's absolutely a playoffs or bust pick. If you stuck him into an nba game tomorrow he'd be able to play defense and spot up. He's bigger tony Snell. That's what gets you onto a court early

The glass half empy feels on this board are insane right now. Maybe Smith Jr slid last night because the ACL isn't in the greatest shape or his attitude didn't check out. Why did the best or second best shooter in the draft slide all the way to #11? Monk was way too small, had questionable defense and no one believes he can play the point. People need to relax just a little bit. Maybe Vogel believes Elf is his PG and likes what 24 yr old Fornier can do. Isaac has a tremendous upside offensively and at worst should be a very solid 3 and D guy. Maybe we got the next Durant, Giannis or insert long and fluid scorer name here.

It also doesn't make sense to spend a late first rounder just because you have it. No need to take on any additional contract if you don't believe in the player.

I get that you're excited we drafted a Seminole, but no. We did not just get the next Durant or Giannis. If we're really lucky, we got the next AK47. Stop the Durant and Giannis stuff now, though. That is crazier than the people suggesting Dipo was the next Wade.

And I think you're missing the entire point of all the "glass half empty feels." The PROBLEM is that this draft (getting two guys whose ceilings are still role players and basically giving away the other two picks) means Vogel and our FO may believe Elf is still the future at PG and like what Fournier does. The PROBLEM is that we refused to even try to have a great draft. We punted. We had a shot at possible game-changers, but drafted a safe role player. We had 3 more shots to take chances on guys, but instead refused to bring in multiple rookies because we don't want to develop players anymore. The FO seems to be living in a fantasy where we don't need to rebuild. We have no talent and no assets, and we just treated the draft like it doesn't matter. That's not "glass half empty," that's "holy ***** we're dying of thirst and the glass is shattered."

I completely agree with everything you just said. The corollary is that we're still thinking our current core is good and just needs some tweaks, because we didn't do much to change it last night.

I'm certain there will be additional moves during the off-season, but as has already been said, the options for making our team better through trades and FA may be very limited. The past few years aren't encouraging as far as that's concerned. Yes, totally new front office, but they still don't have much leverage for trades with our current personnel, and we're still an unattractive destination for higher level free agents.

Unless we end up with a new point guard or Gordon really takes a leap we're going to be another 35-ish win team.

Well, I was hoping after sleeping I'd wake up feeling better about last night.

That's a negative.

Last-night was as disappointed I've ever been after a Magic draft. I was let-down when we picked Issac but knew it was coming. Felt pretty good after we picked Pasecniks. But after we handed him away I was done. The passing on Semi, Evans, Mason, Ball, and selecting a Senior. Oh well.

I don't know about anyone else but that draft struck me as a Front Office that wasn't prepared. Not to mention we didn't even work Issac out. I don't wanna hate the new FO this early so I'm going to try to just move forward but I'm not thrilled with this start.

If last-night was part of some bigger picture I can get on board--but if we really are just rolling with out same team because they think our core is good than that is rather upsetting.

Unless we end up with a new point guard or Gordon really takes a leap we're going to be another 35-ish win team.

Good. We need to get rid of some of the vets so we can force Frank to go young.

Here's to hoping for another sub 35 win season. I'd like to keep it under 30 but that won't happen. We'll pick 7-10. Miss out on a great player as usual.

What new PG though? We're not getting Chris Paul or Kyle Lowry. We're not even getting Jrue Holiday or George Hill. Are we trading for Bledsoe? Are we back to that again?

Still love the Isaac pick and think he's got the highest ceiling in the draft. Worth watching NBA.com's review: http://www.nba.com/draft/board

Im starting to think people don't understand what highest ceiling means.

Most ways to impact a game =/= highest ceiling. For instance, draymond green is an elite defensive player. He's a really good facilitator. He can shoot. He can defend multiple positions. Despite having more skills and physical tools than curry you wouldn't say he's got a higher ceiling.

Im starting to think people don't understand what highest ceiling means.

Most ways to impact a game =/= highest ceiling. For instance, draymond green is an elite defensive player. He's a really good facilitator. He can shoot. He can defend multiple positions. Despite having more skills and physical tools than curry you wouldn't say he's got a higher ceiling.

When I think of highest ceiling, I think of a player's ability to have the most success in the league long term through wins and losses compared to other players. Yes, I think Isaac has that ceiling compared to Fultz, Ball, etc. Time will tell. In addition to what shared last night, here's a similar view:

"This was a home-run swing for the Magic. They were going for a star and looking to take a player with the most upside. That is certainly Isaac. There are players who could likely contribute more immediately. But Orlando is definitely looking to bring in a player who can grow and become a star."

https://orlandomagicdaily.com/2017/06/22/orlando-magic-select-jonathan-isaac-nba-draft/

Do I think the pick is sexy? Absolutely not. But I like Isaac.

Lets hope Isaac is KG. The thing that pisses me off is that we didn't even work him out. I mean at least then we'd be working on the assumption he blew us away in his interview/workout and we could at least trick ourselves into thinking he was BPA (which he still might have been btw)