Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

sure, defense can't be dismissed. but history has shown it's preferable to grab the good offense/bad defense guard/wing first, then build a scheme around that player to hide him, then find players that fit that scheme vs draft lower ceiling defensive players first then waiting for the top tier offensive player to present itself later through trades, free agency, or getting lucky with a comparably later draft pick. Otherwise we're in a weird holding pattern treading water until we find that guy.

I suppose my point is that if Isaac is a 14-16 point, 8-10 rebound, 1.5 block, 1.5 steals per night, and is an upper echelon defender, then you still have plenty to build around. That's a piece you don't have to worry about for a while. He wont even be 20 until October.

I like Dennis Smith in many ways, but I worry how he will handle losing. Will he stop playing hard if we are down 20 in the 3rd quarter? Maybe those days are over, but I saw several games where that was the case at NC State.

If somehow Jackson or Tatum falls (which I highly doubt) then I would absolutely take them before Isaac.

If not Isaac, then I'd be fine with Smith, considering the other options on the table. I do not want Monk at 6.

you've literally disqualified everyone in the lottery except for ntlikina and Isaac. actually nevermind. you said no more projects. you disqualified everyone.

No more drafting because they are all always projects!

I suppose my point is that if Isaac is a 14-16 point, 8-10 rebound, 1.5 block, 1.5 steals per night, and is an upper echelon defender, then you still have plenty to build around. That's a piece you don't have to worry about for a while. He wont even be 20 until October.

I like Dennis Smith in many ways, but I worry how he will handle losing. Will he stop playing hard if we are down 20 in the 3rd quarter? Maybe those days are over, but I saw several games where that was the case at NC State.

If somehow Jackson or Tatum falls (which I highly doubt) then I would absolutely take them before Isaac.

If not Isaac, then I'd be fine with Smith, considering the other options on the table. I do not want Monk at 6.

and my point is adding the equivalent of Jae Crowder to Payton-Fournier-Gordon-vucevic et al is going to make the team probably the 19th best team in the league with no hope to move past that. There are always al-farouq aminu/james Johnson types that can provide enough of what Isaac provides at a lower cost. and you can use multiple players to cover that gap.

a top offensive option is harder to find and is almost impossible to fabricate with a collective because you're basically missing one on one skills.

and it's fine if he stops playing hard down 20. it's not ideal but you gamble with that relative to what he can do in a close game when you need a shot. or in the middle of a game when the offense is sputtering and you can just hand him the ball and have him attack. because his finishing though contact is not replicable by a lower quality player and is something that is really hard to find. and you can replace smith with Monk hitting contested threes. its harder to find.

Draft Smith at 6, trade 25 and EP for 10 and draft Monk. Use one of our two second rounders to get out of DJ's contract and I'd call it a great night.

I actually like Makkanen, his skill set is perfect for the "new" NBA style of play, but you have to play him at the 5 primarily with occasional minutes at the 4. If you pick him, you have to find a way to trade Vucc ASAP

This

basically you don't draft nice pieces when potentially great pieces are available. its the same reason why drafting Thomas robinson over lillard, barnes, ross, Drummond, and rivers was a bad idea. you can find robinson-type guys later in the draft. rivers didn't work out but he was still a better gamble.

This

I'm not sure playing Terrence ross at center wouldn't have the same effect. I'm trying to go find a clip I saw of a shooting guard pushing markkanen out of the way for offensive rebounds 3 times on the same play.

Markkanen as a 5? I guess we can at least make other teams look good when he's on every poster in America getting dunked on.

Biyombo let Marvin Williams send him to the shadow realm, at least Markkanen can play offense and not make 17 million