Soul Bro

2017 NBA Draft Thread

BC, yes, I see the Rose comp with Smith

Yeah. It fits. Just gotta tone down the production a bit because rose was really good that one season and i don't think it's right to put those expectations on him

Here's what I hope is a realistic best case scenario in my opinion:

6: DSJ or Monk

25: Harry Giles or Jonathan Jeanne or Bam Adebayo

33: Jonah Bolden

35: Caleb Swanigan or Josh Hart or Sindarius Thornwell

We get a potential number 1 option early. Take a swing for the fence on a big man at the end of the 1st. Pick up a potential draft and stash with some real talent and get a "has a solid chance to be a roleplayer" with the last pick. Also be fine with using 25 on a draft and stash and 33 on the big.

The more I see of DSJ, the more I want him on this team. I love his skill set and his mentality. At this point, though, I doubt we'll have a shot at him. I just don't see Phili, Phoenix, and Sac all passing on him. And if Fox goes before him someone is really overthinking things.

Of course, I've never been great with draft stuff, so maybe Fox really is John Wall 2.0 and DSJ is a bust. What do I know?

The more I see of DSJ, the more I want him on this team. I love his skill set and his mentality. At this point, though, I doubt we'll have a shot at him. I just don't see Phili, Phoenix, and Sac all passing on him. And if Fox goes before him someone is really overthinking things.

Of course, I've never been great with draft stuff, so maybe Fox really is John Wall 2.0 and DSJ is a bust. What do I know?

Yeah Philly and Sac will grab Fox or Smith.

We're gonna choose between Monk, Isaac and whoever falls, Jackson or Tatum.

“Our data has shown guards to be more difficult to project than big men at the next level, as some guards are able to transfer their shooting to the NBA while others possess shooting flaws that aren’t exposed until they play against bigger and faster defenses in the NBA. That said, the model gives Monk just a 25 percent chance of being a bust, which is the second-smallest figure in this draft for a guard after Lonzo Ball. Compared to the other top-60 players on Ford’s Big Board, Monk is unique because he lacks any glaring weaknesses statistically, but the only statistic in which he really stands out is his having a low turnover percentage.”

Ford has the Philadelphia 76ers taking Monk at No. 3 in his latest mock draft, and our model agrees that he is one of the three best players in the draft.

ESPN has Monk as a #2 potential steal. Isaac #1. Here is the link

Isaac has the top projected statistical plus-minus (SPM) for his first five years in the NBA, according to our model, which gives him a 64 percent chance to play at the level of a bona fide NBA starter or better. Isaac has the third-best adjusted defensive rebounding percentage in this draft class and a 55 percent adjusted effective field goal percentage, which is as good as any other small forward in this draft class. His college stats are most similar to those of Otto Porter, who was selected No. 3 by the Washington Wizards in 2013 and was a key piece for a team that finished a win away from the Eastern Conference finals this season.

It is unlikely that Isaac will work his way into the top three, but at No. 4, the Phoenix Suns could get a top-quality player if Isaac is available.

Yeah Philly and Sac will grab Fox or Smith.

We're gonna choose between Monk, Isaac and whoever falls, Jackson or Tatum.

The Kings also need a small forward. They could think that drafting Jackson or Tatum makes the most sense, then hope that someone like Ntilikina is available at ten with their second pick, or better yet if Smith falls to them they'll be jumping for joy (unlikely but stranger things have happened). They might even decide to bring back Collison or Lawson to give them a veteran in young lineup.

So I wouldn't bet on them passing on Jackson or Tatum because both could fit what they want from a small forward. I guess drafting a guard at five might make sense for them, but that would restrict their options at ten since they already have a number of bigs which makes guys like Collins questionable fits for them. So I think they might take a risk on a forward and hope a guard is available at ten, or perhaps even try moving up by combining that second first round pick and something else to get above Dallas and New York. I'm not sure what they could offer the Timberwolves, but if they can do a deal they could get their forward and point guard.

The Philly board overwhelmingly wants Jackson at 3

It would be a good choice for them, but it could lead to Saric heading to the bench if Simmons goes in at PF, which would be a shame after his rookie year. I suppose Simmons could always start at PG, or heck use Jackson at SG, but for me the pick that makes most sense for them would be Smith or Monk. Offensively minded guard that doesn't need to be the primary ball handler, but I suppose Jackson is arguably the BPA at 3.

It would be a good choice for them, but it could lead to Saric heading to the bench if Simmons goes in at PF, which would be a shame after his rookie year. I suppose Simmons could always start at PG, or heck use Jackson at SG, but for me the pick that makes most sense for them would be Smith or Monk. Offensively minded guard that doesn't need to be the primary ball handler, but I suppose Jackson is arguably the BPA at 3.

I wouldn't put Smith in the "doesn't need to be the primary ball handler" category, but I agree Monk is the ideal fit for Philly. If Simmons is your creator/distributor, you can put Monk at the 1 and the questions about his PG skills become much less of an issue.

The Kings also need a small forward. They could think that drafting Jackson or Tatum makes the most sense, then hope that someone like Ntilikina is available at ten with their second pick, or better yet if Smith falls to them they'll be jumping for joy (unlikely but stranger things have happened). They might even decide to bring back Collison or Lawson to give them a veteran in young lineup.

So I wouldn't bet on them passing on Jackson or Tatum because both could fit what they want from a small forward. I guess drafting a guard at five might make sense for them, but that would restrict their options at ten since they already have a number of bigs which makes guys like Collins questionable fits for them. So I think they might take a risk on a forward and hope a guard is available at ten, or perhaps even try moving up by combining that second first round pick and something else to get above Dallas and New York. I'm not sure what they could offer the Timberwolves, but if they can do a deal they could get their forward and point guard.

Kings are a lot like us. They need talent. I'm expecting them to take BPA.

I think Phoenix takes Jackson if he falls.

Starting to hear from teams on draft prospects. De'Aaron Fox is the highest climber so far. Josh Jackson has slid on a lot of boards.

Beyond Fox, who is now a real threat to go top 3-5, Donovan Mitchell has probably improved his stock the most. Likely a mid-lottery pick now

Per Keith Smart