Sign in to follow this  
Fultz4thewin

Olympic Basketball Tournament Mega Thread

Does skiles coach Croatia? Lol. Impressive dunk attempt by Mario at the end. And since when did bogdanovic become mj.

ok, so I think I figured out one of the issues. The problem isn't really bogdanovic. He's worth the minutes he receives. The problem is Krunoslav Simon. He's the main culprit taking Hezonja's minutes. Hezonja has to be playing like Klay Thompson in order to hold him off even though Simon is having a horrible summer. Why is Simon playing above Hezonja despite Hezonja objectively outplaying him?

Because Simon is a star player way past his prime and Petrovic continues to put his trust in him because of a long standing relationship. Petrovic coached Simon at the club level and Simon was probably his best player.

So yeah, it's like Skiles playing Ilyasova above Gordon.

ok, so I think I figured out one of the issues. The problem isn't really bogdanovic. He's worth the minutes he receives. The problem is Krunoslav Simon. He's the main culprit taking Hezonja's minutes. Hezonja has to be playing like Klay Thompson in order to hold him off even though Simon is having a horrible summer. Why is Simon playing above Hezonja despite Hezonja objectively outplaying him?

Because Simon is a star player way past his prime and Petrovic continues to put his trust in him because of a long standing relationship. Petrovic coached Simon at the club level and Simon was probably his best player.

So yeah, it's like Skiles playing Ilyasova above Gordon.

The thing is Hezonja has actually been playing decently this summer. No, he may not be putting up superstar numbers, but he is pulling his own weight. It is a bit frustrating to watch, when their other young player in Saric is allowed to play through shooting problems and etc. while Mario, even though he is shooting is very strong, is given iffy minutes and not played in a way that takes advantage of his strengths when he is on the floor.

The thing is Hezonja has actually been playing decently this summer. No, he may not be putting up superstar numbers, but he is pulling his own weight. It is a bit frustrating to watch, when their other young player in Saric is allowed to play through shooting problems and etc. while Mario, even though he is shooting is very strong, is given iffy minutes and not played in a way that takes advantage of his strengths when he is on the floor.

Right, he should at minimum be a 30 mpg floor spacer as he's currently one of the top 5 shooters in the tournament.

so brazil is up on Nigeria at half.

if brazil wins then Croatia makes it to the knockout round no matter what happens in their game tonight.

if Nigeria wins then Croatia has to win or lose and spain loses and has to make sure they don't lose big because it then goes to point differential where Croatia is currently up 16 points on Nigeria but -76 on Spain.

if Croatia ends up as the 4th seed they play the US, 3rd seed they play Austrailia, 2nd seed they play France.

Right, he should at minimum be a 30 mpg floor spacer as he's currently one of the top 5 shooters in the tournament.

I think if he was allowed to play through missing two shots in the second half vs Nigeria, his shooting numbers would look even better.

It is just criminal that he has two games where he only took 3 shots.

Statistically, it would also be nice to see him filling out the box score more. 2 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game is not very much for a player as talented as he is.

I think if he was allowed to play through missing two shots in the second half vs Nigeria, his shooting numbers would look even better.

It is just criminal that he has two games where he only took 3 shots.

Statistically, it would also be nice to see him filling out the box score more. 2 rebounds and 1.5 assists per game is not very much for a player as talented as he is.

I think if he shoots more his shooting numbers get worse if only because I think its really hard to maintain a 50%+ shooting rate from 3.

Give Hezonja chances and he does good things. Quick two threes. Croatia is +14 since he entered the game. Stretches the defense for saric

I agree but saric is too inconsistent. And sometimes a black hole. I am glad he is Philly's problem.

I agree but saric is too inconsistent. And sometimes a black hole. I am glad he is Philly's problem.

eh, he's talented and probably doing what the coach wants. They're at their best when they run an Ukic-bogdanovic-hezonja-saric-whatever center decides to play well that day lineup. and they use Saric like we used Lewis in 09. let him take some guys off the dribble. let him take a couple threes. post him up when the matchup dictates. kinda reminds me of a really young bosh.

He's too weak to be a full time center right now and that might hurt his game in the short term. but you see the talent there.